PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Justice @ Gwinnett Tech

DieselNuts
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Has anyone taken the Criminal justice program @ Gwinnett Tech? I registered for some classes today and one of them was "Marksmanship & Firearms". I was wondering if someone that has taken the program could tell me how they liked it.

T34me
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
my wife did. the program was ok, but she just has it out for GT because their business office sucks. Needless to say, she went right from there to finish up at GSU

Brick
03-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Criminal Justice is the most worthless degree you can get.

DieselNuts
03-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Thats what you think...

Brick
03-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Thats what you think...

Do you have any information stating differently? It may not be "the worst", but it's up there with the other useless degrees.

DieselNuts
03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
my wife did. the program was ok, but she just has it out for GT because their business office sucks. Needless to say, she went right from there to finish up at GSU
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that, but from my experience the teaching is pretty good.

Do you have any information stating differently? It may not be "the worst", but it's up there with the other useless degrees.
I guess you haven't been paying attention to all the job listings for the government. I have a degree in Architectural Drafting right now. That definitely wasn't a worthless when I got it, but now it is because of the recession.

Brick
03-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that, but from my experience the teaching is pretty good.

I guess you haven't been paying attention to all the job listings for the government. I have a degree in Architectural Drafting right now. That definitely wasn't a worthless when I got it, but now it is because of the recession.

You'd be much better off with a business or accounting degree if you're trying to get a government job.

Edit: What kind of job do you want anyway?

slowinmidga
03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Local government? Your not gonna get a federal job with a Tech degree UNLESS you get in one of their Co-oP programs but those are in aircraft mechanics ect....What are you trying to do? Be a cop? You definently dont need any degree for that..........

ksniperfox
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
What are you trying to do? Be a cop? You definently dont need any degree for that..........

x9998457485793

SloWRX
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I registered for the same thing, see you there lol

DieselNuts
03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I've seen job listings for special agents for the ATF and DEA that require a background in Criminal Justice. ATF is what I would really like to be a part of though.

Brick
03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I've seen job listings for special agents for the ATF and DEA that require a background in Criminal Justice. ATF is what I would really like to be a part of though.

They mean job experience. :) Good luck getting on either without any.

blackboi50
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
im looking into criminal justice too!!!! no matter what people will always be breaking the law so it will keep them employed!! :2cents:.....1

DieselNuts
03-17-2009, 05:11 PM
They mean job experience. :) Good luck getting on either without any.
no, it said that a degree proceeds vast experience.

im looking into criminal justice too!!!! no matter what people will always be breaking the law so it will keep them employed!! :2cents:.....1
lol, exactly :goodjob:

Got Milk?
03-17-2009, 05:13 PM
as already stated, you dont need any type of degree to be a cop if thats what u want. all u need is a HSD or GED. And most of higher positions than a patrol officer, requires 3 years as a patrol officer before entering higher position.

+Im also looking into criminal justice, and during the time, ill be getting my masters degree in computer science. Criminal Justice Degree, waste of time.

DieselNuts
03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
as already stated, you dont need any type of degree to be a cop if thats what u want. all u need is a HSD or GED. And most of higher positions than a patrol officer, requires 3 years as a patrol officer before entering higher position.

+Im also looking into criminal justice, and during the time, ill be getting my masters degree in computer science. Criminal Justice Degree, waste of time.
I'm not looking to be a cop. If its a waste of time, why do they list it under the requirements of the job description?

Got Milk?
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm not looking to be a cop. If its a waste of time, why do they list it under the requirements of the job description?

lol. If you have experience on the job, you dont need shitty ass criminal justice diploma. Even when you get your diploma/degree, you will still be required to be a patrol officer for at least 3 years or so. check out www.careercruising.com (http://www.careercruising.com) You might just learn a thing or 2 about your career.

Username:Avondale

Password: High

For example, if you want to be a detective, the requirements are:
At least 3 years of experience as a regular police officer
• Strong on-the-job performance
• Completion of exam, if required by police force

Previous to that, to be a cop:

• High school diploma
• Preferably a college degree
• Meet physical fitness requirements
• Completion of basic training

Just my 2 cents. Some people might say different.

Also, dont forget, there is thousands of people each day applying for criminal justice. ***** comes out of a prison, and goes back and applies at the same prison for a job. :ninja:

BanginJimmy
03-18-2009, 03:50 AM
To go federal you need a Bachelors. An Associates degree is basicly worthless in most counties. Some counties will take an Associates for adult probation, but that is about the only job that opens up with an associates.

I'm in the CRJ program at West Central. After looking around most of the metro Atlanta Sherriffs and city depts, an associates will typically get you an extra 1500-2k a year and nothing more.

Is Gwinnett offering POST certification through the school?

DEA Special Agent requirements:
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/job/agent/bef_qualifications.html

slowinmidga
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
To go federal you need a Bachelors. An Associates degree is basicly worthless in most counties. Some counties will take an Associates for adult probation, but that is about the only job that opens up with an associates.

I'm in the CRJ program at West Central. After looking around most of the metro Atlanta Sherriffs and city depts, an associates will typically get you an extra 1500-2k a year and nothing more.

Is Gwinnett offering POST certification through the school?

DEA Special Agent requirements:
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/job/agent/bef_qualifications.html

If your trying to get a federal law enforcement job with ONLY a degree,then a criminal justice degree from a Tech school will not get you there. It MIGHT help you once you have like 5yrs experience in law enforcement but not enough to get one for that sole purpose. It clearly states that to be an ATF agent w/o experience you need a bachelors. Alot of those Tech classes use to not transfer for credit to colleges if that is the route you are trying to take. http://www.atf.gov/careers/special-agents/qualifications.htm