PDA

View Full Version : Misc ? for the Non-Believers!

Kevykev
09-22-2005, 09:08 PM
What Do you non-believers believe in?

You guys believe that everything that should be honored(believed in) is tangible and concrete?

ahmonrah
09-22-2005, 10:17 PM
as a believer in a higher power, i can't answer that question.

C22H19N3O4
09-22-2005, 10:35 PM
"There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; my philosophy is kindness."

Hulud
09-22-2005, 10:43 PM
"There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; my philosophy is kindness."
who said that?

C22H19N3O4
09-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Me mofo. Pharmacist(Intern) of the Year!!!. LoL..no it was The Dalai Lama.

"None of the means employed to acquire religious merit has a sixteenth part of the value of loving-kindness. Loving-kindness, which is freedom of heart, absorbs them all; it glows, it shines, it blazes forth."

The Buddha

Hulud
09-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Me mofo. Pharmacist(Intern) of the Year!!!. LoL..no it was The Dalai Lama.

"None of the means employed to acquire religious merit has a sixteenth part of the value of loving-kindness. Loving-kindness, which is freedom of heart, absorbs them all; it glows, it shines, it blazes forth."

The Buddha
o well nice!

C22H19N3O4
09-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Didn't mean to jack your thread Kev, but what I posted is what I believe.

Wedge
09-23-2005, 08:12 AM
no offense, but anyone can make up nice pretty quotes like that.. but then, again, I don't guess you could prove or disprove the exsistance of God in a nifty little quote

AWD OWNZ U
09-23-2005, 08:26 AM
I believe in myself and my ability to live a good life and make good judgements without the need for divinity.

Kevykev
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Didn't mean to jack your thread Kev, but what I posted is what I believe.

Thread wasn't jacked, your post was actually on topic.

People Posting what they believe in.

carry on...

Hulud
09-23-2005, 03:06 PM
i dont believe in a god
i believe that people should live their life and do what makes them happy (within reason)

4dmin
09-23-2005, 03:51 PM
i will go w/ pharm tegs quote an put my twist on it...

the body is your temple and the mind is your bible; organized religion is for the weak minded.

just b/c i don't believe in your GOD doesn't mean i don't believe in something. ;)

ISAtlanta300
09-23-2005, 06:04 PM
then what do you believe in and what do you base your belief on?

Quotes?

4dmin
09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
then what do you believe in and what do you base your belief on?

Quotes?

my beliefs are built on life itself... knowledge and experiences :goodjob:

RandomGuy
09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
just wondering, what are your views views on the hereafter Paul.

And those who believe in some deity, but don't have religion, nor a group with similar beliefs, Just wondering where/how were you "enlightened"

thanks

ISAtlanta300
09-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Kind of narrowminded don't u think? No two life experiences are the same. Your knowledge and your experience would not coincide with that of your fellow man.... What makes "your" life experience the base on which you base your beliefs? Is your life that "perfect" ?

:)

4dmin
09-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Kind of narrowminded don't u think? No two life experiences are the same. Your knowledge and your experience would not coincide with that of your fellow man.... What makes "your" life experience the base on which you base your beliefs? Is your life that "perfect" ?

:)

i'm sorry please explain how that is narrowminded... i'm probably 100x more open minded than the average christian... ya and you thinking "you can't make that generalzation"... well ya i can. i was raised in a family of catholics/jehova witness, so i've gotten quite a mind full of already...

now how am i different? i don't stop learning and i don't close my mind to anything, if you took a look at my library you whould see everything from King James, to the Watch Tower, to the Satanic bible, to books on buddism, and to just about everything/anything dealing w/ religion and history.

now you take your average christian, they can't answer simple questions w/o saying "its in the bible" or have they experienced anything out of thier small mindset of what they were brought up in.

so as i expressed before my beliefs are built on what i have experienced or have learned in life. what i see today as a belief may change tomorrow... i believe in life the only way to higher enlightenment is to experience and learn everything you can.

Jaimecbr900
09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
now you take your average christian, they can't answer simple questions w/o saying "its in the bible" or have they experienced anything out of thier small mindset of what they were brought up in.

That's because your religious belief is always first and foremost based on FAITH. As we have plainly said 5 gazillion times in the other thread, Faith has no logic. So when you get 2 people discussing an oxymoron, you will always get conflicting answers.

If that Christian believes in the Bible, then to them if it's written in the Bible then it's true. To a non-believer that doubts everything about the Bible, that same action/belief is ilogical. Opposing views. Simple.

What does that have to do with "exposure"? Being a "Christian" doesn't mean that you were always a Christian or even that you grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth. So the fact that someone is a Christian doesn't mean that they haven't experienced anything else. It just means they have chosen to try and experience things from one perspective from now on. Doesn't mean they are perfect. Doesn't mean they never did anything wrong. Doesn't mean they never seen anything bad or that they don't agree with.

I totally disagree that simply being "Christian" automatically makes anyone "closed minded" to everything. It only makes them "closed minded" to one thing. Just because they choose to believe in something deeply doesn't make them "closed minded". Maybe it just makes them "convinced".....Don't confuse strong conviction with closed mindedness. They are similar, but not the same.

Kevykev
09-27-2005, 09:24 AM
That's because your religious belief is always first and foremost based on FAITH. As we have plainly said 5 gazillion times in the other thread, Faith has no logic. So when you get 2 people discussing an oxymoron, you will always get conflicting answers.

If that Christian believes in the Bible, then to them if it's written in the Bible then it's true. To a non-believer that doubts everything about the Bible, that same action/belief is ilogical. Opposing views. Simple.

Exactly!

I can also see where Paul is coming from with the "Avergage Christian" quote. Some Christians do tend to be close-minded when it comes to "honoring/respecting" other religious beliefs, as other religions do as well!

4dmin
09-27-2005, 09:37 AM
I totally disagree that simply being "Christian" automatically makes anyone "closed minded" to everything. It only makes them "closed minded" to one thing. Just because they choose to believe in something deeply doesn't make them "closed minded". Maybe it just makes them "convinced".....Don't confuse strong conviction with closed mindedness. They are similar, but not the same.

the first two sentences contradict.

I'm sorry how many practicing christians do you know that read up or have researched other reiligions other than maybe a google search or a class they had to take. exactly.

now lets take you average christian, and i will quote chuck on this "50% of christians will not be in heaven"... i'm sure many of the people you know will fall into this, b/c they maybe your Xmas/Easter people or the Sinner Sunday people (sin all week go to church on sun)... i'm sure all of these people are top theologiest in their spare time :rolleyes:

and back to what you posted... if you strongly believe in one thing then you are closed minded... if i'm wrong please explain to me what close minded means.

Jaimecbr900
09-27-2005, 09:51 AM
the first two sentences contradict.

Not really. If you are closed minded about 1 thing, it doesn't mean you're closed minded about EVERYthing. That was my point.

I'm sorry how many practicing christians do you know that read up or have researched other reiligions other than maybe a google search or a class they had to take. exactly.

Many actually. I can name one right off the top of my head....his name is Paul. ;) You were raised one thing and now are another. You are my exhibit A. ;)

and back to what you posted... if you strongly believe in one thing then you are closed minded... if i'm wrong please explain to me what close minded means.

Ok, I'll bite then. How bout this?:

You strongly believe in one thing. How's that make you, by your own admission, "open" minded to anything else then?

My point is that being strongly convicted about one thing, doesn't automatically make you closed minded about everything else. One vs everything. That's my point.

Jaimecbr900
09-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Exactly!

I can also see where Paul is coming from with the "Avergage Christian" quote. Some Christians do tend to be close-minded when it comes to "honoring/respecting" other religious beliefs, as other religions do as well!

As a matter of fact, I agree with that.

But remember.....that is true about lots of people and not merely "Christians". ;)

Kevykev
09-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Yeah that's why I stated that other religions do as well.

Right at the end of my paragraph (last 5 words) :D lol

see you in a few!

Jaimecbr900
09-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah that's why I stated that other religions do as well.

Right at the end of my paragraph (last 5 words) :D lol

see you in a few!

My bad. Lunch on me today..... :D

Ncturnal
09-27-2005, 11:31 AM
just wondering, what are your views views on the hereafter Paul.

Once you die, that's it; game over, thanks for playing. The after-life is the fairytale that is the basis for the existence of most religions. People can't come to grips with mortality. It's the carrot hanging in front of the donkey. While alot of people so strongly want to believe there is something after they leave this planet, there is no proof of its existence. Wishful thinking and hoping that it is true doesn't count. :) There is one thing that is certain though: on a long enough timeline, the survivability rate of everyone drops to zero. There is no way to make it out alive so make the best of it while you have life in your possession instead of banking your hopes on a fairytale.

Ncturnal
09-27-2005, 12:34 PM
You don't need to get fucked in the ass to figure out that's NOT what your ass is supposed to be used for. It's logical and scientifically proven, therefore it is not a matter of having to experience it firsthand. Just because some people decided that's what they want to user their ass for doesn't mean everyone else should try to see that it's not something they wish to try. It's very similar to organized religion and alot of people's beliefs. Some of the things people chose to believe to me are just as silly as getting fucked in the ass, but if that's what they want to do, then have at it, because I really don't care. Just don't try to convince me it's the right thing to do because you want to justify your own beliefs.

The definition of "faith" says it all: a firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Contrast that with the definition of belief: conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence.

I can't help but laugh to myself everytime someone mentions faith and belief in the same sentence.

Ncturnal
09-27-2005, 01:14 PM
What about if you highlight that part instead of the other? Wouldn't it apply?

Reality: something that is neither derivative nor dependent but exists necessarily; actual fact.

Where is this "reality" that you speak of? :D Sure, if it was a reality, it would apply. But it's not a reality....it's faith in a belief.

Ncturnal
09-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Definitions always put things in perspective. Take for instance....

REAL -
a. not artificial, fraudulent, or illusionary (see GENUINE)
b. occuring in fact
c. existing as a physical entity and having properties that deviate from an ideal
d. having objective, independant existence

IDEAL -
a. existing as a mental image or in fancy or imagination only broadly : lacking practicality
b. relating to or constituting mental images, ideas , or conceptions

green91
09-27-2005, 04:24 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this debate. I am personally athiest. I was raised to go to church and the rest of my family is a very christian group. I found while i was growing up that i didnt agree with alot of the christian guidelines and that religion didnt answer alot of questions in life. I trust my own judgement to decide what is right and what is wrong, not a book.

Ncturnal
09-27-2005, 04:45 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this debate. I am personally athiest. I was raised to go to church and the rest of my family is a very christian group. I found while i was growing up that i didnt agree with alot of the christian guidelines and that religion didnt answer alot of questions in life. I trust my own judgement to decide what is right and what is wrong, not a book.

Agreed, as was the same for me, although I consider myself agnostic. I think it's kick-ass that you decided forself. The really interesting part for me is that I'm betting, statistically speaking, the majority of Christian are so because that's what they were taught their whole life. Had the same individual been from India, they'd probably be Hindu, Jewish if from Isreal, and Islamic if from Saudi Arabia. They were born into their belief/religion/faith, etc, and typically they are merely hoping to justify or reaffirm their own beliefs instead of honestly questioning those beliefs. I know there are exceptions to that rule. There are those that "found God" in prison, or some other tramatic event in their life happened and they need something to cling to, but statisically speaking, I'm right. That's why religion affiliation for the most part is very geographical.

4dmin
09-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Agreed, as was the same for me, although I consider myself agnostic. I think it's kick-ass that you decided forself. The really interesting part for me is that I'm betting, statistically speaking, the majority of Christian are so because that's what they were taught their whole life. Had the same individual been from India, they'd probably be Hindu, Jewish if from Isreal, and Islamic if from Saudi Arabia. They were born into their belief/religion/faith, etc, and typically they are merely hoping to justify or reaffirm their own beliefs instead of honestly questioning those beliefs.

100% agree

green91
09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Well i suppose i could be considered a fence rider in reference to athiest vs. agnostic. At this time, i do not believe in the existance of a god or higher being. However, if it were able to be proven to me, in a scientific or logically proven manner, i would not be ignorant to the possibility of the god. I suppose you could say im athiest until otherwise proven.

green91
09-27-2005, 04:58 PM
statistically speaking, the majority of Christian are so because that's what they were taught their whole life. Had the same individual been from India, they'd probably be Hindu, Jewish if from Isreal, and Islamic if from Saudi Arabia. They were born into their belief/religion/faith, etc, and typically they are merely hoping to justify or reaffirm their own beliefs

incidentally this is what made me originally question christianity. all through the news id heard of religious wars in the middle east.. baptism in the southeast, catholics in south america, budhism and other religions in asia - everyone is so dead set that their religion is right.. but suppose there is a god and he is a christian. have all other religions lived their lives in vain? is there a possibility in more than one supreme being?

then i started to question myself.. aside from faith, what basis do a majority of religions have in believing in god? their upbringing? some have claimed to have had talks with god. but i know that ive personally had dreams and saw things.. but brain activity during sleep is scientifically proven.

i think that religion was devised to comfort people. its used to explain what isnt explainable at the time by science, and to help people deal with mortality, and that after life there is nothing else.

i believe in coincidence.. that good things happen and that bad things happen. its a cycle. i however do not believe in fate or that things happen for a reason.

Ncturnal
09-27-2005, 05:10 PM
i believe in coincidence.. that good things happen and that bad things happen. its a cycle. i however do not believe in fate or that things happen for a reason.

Exactly. Shit happens as they say. So many people always say "When it's your time....", which is a total crock. If everything was predetermined, there would be no benefit from wearing seatbelts, eating well, not smoking, etc. It has been statistically proven that those habits will generally increase your longevity. Life is all about the decisions you make, with a twist of chance mixed in. That's just one of the many examples of illogical ideals believed by major religions that I disagree with. With most discussions I've had with religious people, I can beat them with their own logic using their very own beliefs. By all means though, if it makes you feel better, have at it. I'm happy to have the opportunity to live this life, and it's not any less worthwhile if this life is all there is to it.

green91
09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
like a friend once told me, carpe diem "sieze the day" - its all you have :)

Kevykev
09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Wow Guys, yall own this thread.

Carry on...

MachNU
09-28-2005, 02:57 PM
This might be a little off-topic but lets see......

All i can really say is that i believe in a god...yes but as far as not nothign else. I believe things happen for a reason and that maybe yes there is something controling that. But i also believe that people say that everyone has there own free-will to do act say or think what they want, but i also believe there is no such thing as free-will. I believe everything happens for a reasona dn that no matter who or what you believe in i believe that you where meant to believe that by something. I believe that god speaks through us all and controls the decision and actions of our life. I can also say i dont believe in a "Hell" i believe that there is a place where sinners and saints go but i believe that it is a word throw out of context where people believe that they should live life by the book. But i believe everyone goes to heaven no matter what. Maybe i am wrong, but i jsut cant see how god creates people, and he creates some people to do evil things such as murder of there own free will. I believe that they are created to do things, that when they are created they already have a set plan for there life. Maybe i am wrong but to me there is jsut to many holes in the bible, to many thigns to questions.

.................. :2cents: