PDA

View Full Version : I want a bike... I think.

X-Runner
03-16-2009, 12:17 AM
I think I want a bike, I have always wanted to ride and want to more so now. I read the "first bike" thread but am still wondering what bikes to look into for a beginner bike. The cheaper the better (used). Don't even really care what type of bike either honestly. I would also ride to/from work which is about 60 miles round trip daily once I got better/comfortable on the bike. I am 6'5" and about 250lbs or so.

I also would take a class (or classes) on riding, safety etc before I started riding.

Cool Cat Racing
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Looks like you're on the right track. My advice is get something at least in the 500-600 range. If you drive that much I'm sure you see alot of highway time and anything smaller gets pretty winded on the highway. My SV650 was an excellent bike and plenty of people claim in stock form they're perfect beginner bikes. Mine had GSXR suspension and brakes and a lot of bolt ons and was an excellent track bike as well. You can start with one and keep playing with it and always have a nice bike that can keep up with your progression. The only reason I sold it was to get a 1000 since most of my driving is highway and I wanted something a little faster around town. My first bike was a 650 twin back in college and I've had 4 different bikes. Even the "slow" ones can get you in trouble fast.

Tech5
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
My brother has a near mint 2000 Honda CBR F4 with 5800 miles that he would sell for 4,000 OBO

SlowsterCivy
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Id buy a CBR 600 thats what i want.

Gutling
03-16-2009, 11:09 AM
I learned on a 07' gsxr600, but my first bike was a '03 bandit 600 and it was perfect. It had already been laid down, so that toke a lot of pressure not to f*ck it up off lol. Taught me everything I needed to know, basic maintenance, chain cleaning/tightening, etc. Plus being a Bandit (like the SV650) it was not a straight sport bike, but more like a sport tourer. You did not sit so far over, it was more relaxed like a cruiser. So a lot more comfortable on long trips. It was pretty quick, but not so quick it was unforgiving. And they are pretty cheap (Bought mine like 2k, sold it for 2k when I moved on lol)

Turbo Terrance
03-16-2009, 11:19 PM
My brother has a near mint 2000 Honda CBR F4 with 5800 miles that he would sell for 4,000 OBO

pm'd