PDA

View Full Version : yet another ls/vtec problem thread

awestun
03-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok, so the other day a friend and I were trying to put a skunk 2 intake manifold on my ls/vtec. We changed over all of the sensors, hoses, throttle body, and alike from my stock intake manifold to the new one. We then bolted it to my cylinder head with a new gasket, connected every thing and proceeded to start it up. It started, but shook violently and threw some smoke out of the exhaust. We immediately shut it off and put it back to stock. It still did the same thing, so my question to you is what could it be? I put in new injector o-rings, spark plugs, and did an engine flush and oil change.

IntegraXTR
03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
first off, is it throwing a cel? If so, what is the code?

sounds to me that you may have some sensors backwards. Double check all your sensors like iacv, iat, tps, etc.

awestun
03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
No cel. We checked on h-t to make sure that all the sensors were on the right way.

IntegraXTR
03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
did you make sure that you scraped off the old intake mani gasket real good before putting on the new gasket? Also, did you refill the antifreeze before cranking it back up? Just trying to narrow down what it could be...

awestun
03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, every little idea helps. We refilled the radiator and primed the engine a few good times. We scraped off the old gasket with a razor blade but it's not unlikely that a small piece of the gasket could've fallen into the cylinder head.

Master Shake
03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
do you have any bad mounts?
that seems to always be my first question when it comes to shaking, lol.

IntegraXTR
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
^^ even with bad mounts, the motor wouldn't shake like crazy when you just crank it up. I'm thinking it could be a vacuum leak or the wrong vacuum lines are hooked up.

Master Shake
03-12-2009, 09:04 PM
^^ even with bad mounts, the motor wouldn't shake like crazy when you just crank it up. I'm thinking it could be a vacuum leak or the wrong vacuum lines are hooked up.maybe if the bushings were completely shot. but the vacuum hoses might be hooked up incorrectly.

EmminoDaGreat
03-12-2009, 09:06 PM
well here is what probably happened...
You took the intake mani off, changed gasket, didnt scrape all of it off, because sometimes its overlooked, slapped a new one on, and where the coolant passage is, it will pour coolant into number 4 cylinder... sooooo, pull plug number four, then see if its wet in there... If not than good for you! But I see this happen a lot..

awestun
03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
The mounts are in good condition. We checked the vacuum lines and everything on h-t just to be sure. When I replaced the plugs I didn't notice any thing being wet but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check again. Also I should mention that it sounds like a cross between an SRT-4 and a lawn mower.

punkr6
03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
map sensor and tps wires may be crossed, Should see a CEL though

RedEj8
03-13-2009, 01:28 AM
^ That's exactly what I was thinking. The plugs are the same.

awestun
03-13-2009, 02:21 AM
I don't think that's it. Like I said we looked at a diagram to ensure the proper location of plugs and wires. I think I'm gonna try to look at the gasket again like EmminoDaGreat said and see if that helps.

EmminoDaGreat
03-13-2009, 02:49 AM
lol, i didnt even think to ask if there where cel's... i always assume that had been covered...

awestun
03-13-2009, 03:25 AM
There are no cel's or anything saying that somethings wrong.

AnthonyF
03-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah, every little idea helps. We refilled the radiator and primed the engine a few good times. We scraped off the old gasket with a razor blade but it's not unlikely that a small piece of the gasket could've fallen into the cylinder head.
If it was the paper gasket it would have just burnt up.

Did you remove the studs or did you work around the studs? When I was 16 I did the same thing, thought I got it all off when puttin on my Skunk2, nope. Pull all the studs and get all of it off.

-Ant.

awestun
03-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Ok so today we took everything off and scraped all the rest of the gasket, off cleaned off the injectors, and re assembled everything and it still ran like crap. We did discover a leak in one of the injector o-rings so tomorrow I'll get a new one and try that. Could that have something to do with the reason it's running like this?

awestun
03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
anyone?

awestun
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Rain today so no workings on my car :(

RedEj8
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
You replace the o-ring yet? Make sure you double check for vacuum leaks. Check to make sure the IACV is sealed against the IM well. Make sure the TB is sealed well.

When I had a vac. leak on my Honda it just idled high. Is yours just idling like crap or running like crap even if you try to give it gas?

awestun
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
yeah it idles like crap and runs like crap. I put my hand over the throttle body and it cut off so I don't think its a vacuum leak. I changed out the o-rings and everything and it still isn't running right. anymore ideas?

awestun
03-17-2009, 08:21 PM
thanks to EmminoDaGreat and the guys at mainstream we discovered that every important sensor was unplugged and my spark plugs were blackened. So all in all my car runs way better than it used too, it's still sluggish and sputters a little but at least I have a way to get around.

RedEj8
03-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Uh yea..Checking to make sure the sensors are plugged in would be good.. Wasn't that already suggested?

jdm eg99
03-19-2009, 12:59 AM
coolent got in the inside of the intake valves the same thing happned to my buddy when we did his lsv just let it idle for 30 minutes the drive it around DONT get down on her let it burn off the coolent sould be ok after !