PDA

View Full Version : So i entered my first auto-x

Sammich
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
in my big family car (http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=35904#), maxima, and it was pretty awesome. i cant wait to get my suspension more beefed up to do it again.

my best official time was like 0:53.9
my best unofficial time was like a 0:50.3...

i only gave u the unofficial numbers because i missed the course by one cone, i missed it like this .. <---like that period to period...so i went off course. of course on teh maxima i only had dropzone springs and tokico illuminas...had them set initially at 5f 4r, then i set them to 4f 4r on teh last two, and i felt a difference. i know w/ a rear sway bar rear strut bar and front strut bar i can put up better numbers, especially considering this was my first auto-x. i did better than a 'boosted' supra...i say 'boosted' because i think he had a interfooler lol. out of i believe 26 i got 19...next time..i'm shooting for the top 10 in my class (novice) lol. i'll step up next time and stay on course fellas..but...i'm all smiles http://www.clubintegra.com/board/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

SampaGuy
03-09-2009, 07:59 AM
cool. after like my 5th event or so i started getting the hang of it, somewhat. try to go to the next one, dont wait too long till you do it again or it will be like starting from zero.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:04 AM
yea i know. my body roll in this car was just....lets just say i wish i had someone to take a video camera so i could lol at that huge car doing the bankhead bounce around them corners lol. i didnt feel so bad though, seeing that a late model grand marquis was killing it lol

Elbow
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Sweet

Ruiner
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Racing in a parking lot around cones...:rolleyes:

Step up to the plate and do HPDE courses with the big boys. ;)

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
yea i think the best time of the day ended up being like 0:39..i think or it may have been 0:41..either way...i'm getting a better time next time :D

I CANT WAIT :D

AirMax95
03-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Congrats. I have YET to do an autocross event. Oh well, one day.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:16 AM

lol hater lol.

those are the track courses right? let me know when they are, i know i have to do something to my suspension, seriously...those springs and struts werent doing the job, they did what they did...but i wish i bought my coilovers now:(

FSTB, RSTB and Rear sway bar are among my next purchases for this car...i will be eating ramen noodles along w/ mike:lmfao:

Congrats. I have YET to do an autocross event. Oh well, one day.

u gota do it man, i guarantee ull have a good time:goodjob:

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:18 AM
anyone got an FYI where to pick up a nice affordable helmet also? i checked ebay..i saw one as much as $350 *shocked*

LizBiz
03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm suprised you could do all that in a Max!!!! And what you know bout the Bankhead Bounce!!!!

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
lol hater...let me borrow that bimmer to see what i can do on the course lol

LizBiz
03-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't know if your ready for all that German.

AirMax95
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
u gota do it man, i guarantee ull have a good time:goodjob:

I know its fun from a passenger standpoint. I have rode shotgun in a 400+awhp Sti, modded WRX's, and a few vettes. I never had the balls to put my subie out there.

Fug it.....time to man up, lol.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
ha...i'd have those tires screaming like they were in teh max...i cant wait to get some sticky ickys on my wheels

I know its fun from a passenger standpoint. I have rode shotgun in a 400+awhp Sti, modded WRX's, and a few vettes. I never had the balls to put my subie out there.

Fug it.....time to man up, lol.

yea u seriously need to man, its freaking addicting..i'm sure u will be adding suspension parts and tires, bringing air pumps, gauges, etc to the next one u go to lol..tryna look all professional and chit; i know i did..when all i was doing was adjusting the settings on my illuminas in the trunk w/ a flat head screw driver:lmfao:

Elbow
03-09-2009, 08:27 AM

HPDE ha..get out and do racing with the men. ;)

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
buncha manly bishes up in my thread...i'm a boy..i'm only 13 (lol @ nermin) give me time fellas, ill be there w/ yall sooner or later..prolly later lol

AirMax95
03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
ha...i'd have those tires screaming like they were in teh max...i cant wait to get some sticky ickys on my wheels

yea u seriously need to man, its freaking addicting..i'm sure u will be adding suspension parts and tires, bringing air pumps, gauges, etc to the next one u go to lol..tryna look all professional and chit; i know i did..when all i was doing was adjusting the settings on my illuminas in the trunk w/ a flat head screw driver:lmfao:

Nope, fresh pads/fluid and the stickiest icky tires.

....and the Top Gun theme bumping in surround sound, because my run is going to be EPIC.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:37 AM
lol i was surely bumping that lil wayne mixtape...thats prolly why i missed that cone on my 3rd run :lmao:

but yea..i will have my front brakes upgraded to the 04 maxima brakes and possibly some upgrades in the rear..not sure bout the rear yet..but yea..brakes will be done:goodjob:

StraightSix
03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Be careful about going crazy with upgrades. They can very quickly move into a class where the car is uncompetitive. All you really need is some better pads front and rear and good brake fluid.

While you're still learning how to autocross, run good street tires. Falken Azenis RT-615s or Bridgestone RE01Rs are excellent. The street tires have more progressive break away characteristics whereas a tire like a Toyo R-888 or Hoosier A6 will have a narrow envelope before losing grip.

Most important, though, is having fun.

JITB
03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
im jealous.... i want something to auto cross...:(

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Be careful about going crazy with upgrades. They can very quickly move into a class where the car is uncompetitive. All you really need is some better pads front and rear and good brake fluid.

While you're still learning how to autocross, run good street tires. Falken Azenis RT-615s or Bridgestone RE01Rs are excellent. The street tires have more progressive break away characteristics whereas a tire like a Toyo R-888 or Hoosier A6 will have a narrow envelope before losing grip.

Most important, though, is having fun.

well check this, i was going to upgrade my front brakes to the 04 maxima brakes...its practically oem parts (although i may just run slotted just because /ricer status) but i was going to do that and do slotted in the rear w/ new calipers, run new brake fluid....

the tires that you are talking about...generally what is their tread rating? if i get some 350z track wheels and get those tires, i could be doing just fine...thats if the tires last a while though

Sammich
03-09-2009, 08:58 AM
im jealous.... i want something to auto cross...:(

it was either my truck or the max...i decided on the one w/ better brakes:lmfao: ...its alot of fun man, just take on of your cars, and just go at it:goodjob:

StraightSix
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
well check this, i was going to upgrade my front brakes to the 04 maxima brakes...its practically oem parts (although i may just run slotted just because /ricer status) but i was going to do that and do slotted in the rear w/ new calipers, run new brake fluid....

the tires that you are talking about...generally what is their tread rating? if i get some 350z track wheels and get those tires, i could be doing just fine...thats if the tires last a while though

I don't recall the treadwear rating on either tire. Honestly, I don't pay much attention to any of the UTQG ratings since, to my knowledge, the tests that get those numbers are non-standardized. That is, each tire manufacturer has a different test method to arrive at those numbers, so those numbers are nearly uselss when comparing tires from different manufacturers. But, both of them are legal for SCCA ST classes. I want to say the treadwear rating for either of those is in 150 range.

On the brakes, it doesn't matter where the parts come from for most of the SCCA classes. For example, the stock classes only allow a cat back exhaust, replacement struts/shocks, and the use of R-comp tires (there could be a couple of things I'm leaving out, but that's the gist of the rules). Any mods beyond those, and the car is in a different class. As another example, a friend of mine had a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo and the only mod was a 3" downpipe. That one mod moved him from a stock class into E-street prepared. ESP allows many more mods than the stock classes, and so his car was way outclassed.

The point of all this is that you really need to sit down with the rulebook and see what is/isn't allowed in the class you want to run. Also, bear in mind that Novice is an indexed class, so you're actually running against *all* the other novice cars.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't recall the treadwear rating on either tire. Honestly, I don't pay much attention to any of the UTQG ratings since, to my knowledge, the tests that get those numbers are non-standardized. That is, each tire manufacturer has a different test method to arrive at those numbers, so those numbers are nearly uselss when comparing tires from different manufacturers. But, both of them are legal for SCCA ST classes. I want to say the treadwear rating for either of those is in 150 range.

On the brakes, it doesn't matter where the parts come from for most of the SCCA classes. For example, the stock classes only allow a cat back exhaust, replacement struts/shocks, and the use of R-comp tires (there could be a couple of things I'm leaving out, but that's the gist of the rules). Any mods beyond those, and the car is in a different class. As another example, a friend of mine had a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo and the only mod was a 3" downpipe. That one mod moved him from a stock class into E-street prepared. ESP allows many more mods than the stock classes, and so his car was way outclassed.

The point of all this is that you really need to sit down with the rulebook and see what is/isn't allowed in the class you want to run. Also, bear in mind that Novice is an indexed class, so you're actually running against *all* the other novice cars.

i hear ya, i do need to get all the specifics on what i want to compete in next time. i'm sure ill run in novice at least one more time, then move up to a specific class.

i just need a tire that will not only last me on the street for a while, but still be good enough on the track

87 Turbo II
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm gonna autocross on the 29th at turner field. I love it,but I drive with the slowness.Live axle rear end with 27 year old shocks/springs and a recirculating ball steering system that has 2 inches of play ftl.

AirMax95
03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm gonna autocross on the 29th at turner field. I love it,but I drive with the slowness.Live axle rear end with 27 year old shocks/springs and a recirculating ball steering system that has 2 inches of play ftl.

LMAO, thats scary.

I thought about entering in that one, but won't be in Atlanta.

I am going to assume that a full turboback and test pipe will bump me into a class that I want no part of.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
probably so lol

Sammich
03-09-2009, 09:26 AM
looking upthose tiers, the falkens have a 200AA and the bridgestones have a 180AA..if i got either one of those it'd have to the be falkens, for two reasons, one, has longer life, two, i like the tread better....i'm going to the website to check out the classes.

Elbow
03-09-2009, 09:39 AM
The driver is the best mod of all.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
The driver is the best mod of all.
QFT

i read somewhere though, that even though you may be doing good numbers, if your tires screech..its not a good thing:thinking:

btw i read up..i think ill be in the ST class next year. i should have most of what i need to be a fairly decent competitor

Sammich
03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
poll results

i was number 19 in the novice class, i didnt know i dnf'd on three runs :(:(:(

http://www.scsportscar.com/content/autocross/results2.php?Event=20090307&Report=fin

this is the course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlF5vuwIynI

coolcat
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
in my big family car (http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=35904#), maxima, and it was pretty awesome. i cant wait to get my suspension more beefed up to do it again.

my best official time was like 0:53.9
my best unofficial time was like a 0:50.3...

i only gave u the unofficial numbers because i missed the course by one cone, i missed it like this .. <---like that period to period...so i went off course. of course on teh maxima i only had dropzone springs and tokico illuminas...had them set initially at 5f 4r, then i set them to 4f 4r on teh last two, and i felt a difference. i know w/ a rear sway bar rear strut bar and front strut bar i can put up better numbers, especially considering this was my first auto-x. i did better than a 'boosted' supra...i say 'boosted' because i think he had a interfooler lol. out of i believe 26 i got 19...next time..i'm shooting for the top 10 in my class (novice) lol. i'll step up next time and stay on course fellas..but...i'm all smiles http://www.clubintegra.com/board/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

I CARE.

JUST KIDDING.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
the cat in your avy..i killed it

coolcat
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
the cat in your avy..i killed it

THE MOM IN YOUR FAMILY.. I FUCKED IT.

Elbow
03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
QFT

i read somewhere though, that even though you may be doing good numbers, if your tires screech..its not a good thing:thinking:

btw i read up..i think ill be in the ST class next year. i should have most of what i need to be a fairly decent competitor

Tires making sound isn't a good thing, that means they are losing traction most of the time, which you want grip in autocross. A lot of the time if you FEEL like you are going slower, you probably will have a quick time. Be smooth the whole run, if you screech tires, take note where that limit is and adjust the next run.

slostang
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
auto-x is sooooo addictive.

coolcat
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
DON'T LISTEN TO SIMONTIBBETT HE'S JUST MAKING STUFF UP HE'S NEVER DONE AUTOX OR ANYTHING.

LISTEN TO ME. OK?

FIRST, MAKE SURE YOU DONT FUCKING BRAKE, BRAKES ARE FOR HUGE PUSSIES. SECOND, KEEP THAT SHIT FLOORED THE WHOLE TIME, YOU'LL MAKE UP HITTING THOSE CONES BY KEEPING YOUR SPEED UP WHOLE TIME. AND SIMON, WTF, NO SCREECHING OF THE TIRES? YEAH FUCKING RIGHT, MAKE SURE THOSE TIRES ARE SMOKING THE WHOLE GODDAMN RUN. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A RALLY CAR? THEY SLIDE THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME, COPY WHAT THEY DO, THEY ARE FASTER THAN SOME MAXIMA PEICE OF SHIT WHATEVER YOU HAVE.

AnthonyF
03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Cool, wrong section n00b.

Congrats on going though. I've wanted to go with my truck since i got it. :(

-Ant.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
lol i actually didnt know what section to put this in, if you can, please move it for me.

simon, yea thats kind of what i heard before...but these were POS michelin tires, so i figured..what the hades, let em screech lol

coolcat...i put a brick under my brake pedal and a block on my gas pedal...twas awesome lol

RL...
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
lol the 5th gen maximas suck at handling....

Sammich
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
lol the 5th gen maximas suck at handling....

it actually responded quite well...but...the rear end was coming out pretty...driftlike:lmfao:

Z0_o6
03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
i've only auto-x'ed once but it was a BLAST. i killed the novice class in my STi when it only had springs and a catback... now i think im in a class i don't want any part of though. i have full coilovers, sways, and a good bit done to the engine. unfortunately spool and weight will kill me compared to the purpose built autox cars. i would really like to go road racing now, i think my car would do fairly well, i just have to learn to drive it lol.

Sammich
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
yea, i was on the auto-x website, they were telling me to do my fair share of research, because if i do too much, ill put myself in a class i dont want ot be part of, and add parts that may hurt me in the long run.

WalkS
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Man that course looks fun as hell. As much as I love driving on curvy roads near by, I never tried auto-x... Such a shame, then I go race at the drag strip and tear up stuff. lol