PDA

View Full Version : X-fares/Stand By Flights

redpanda
03-09-2009, 03:16 AM
So how do these work? Has anyone used them before? I'm planning a tripto Chicago really soon and was wondering if I could just show up to theairport and ask if I can purchase a stand-by ticket. Do I need toprepare beforehand or can I just walk in the airport with my luggage,proceed to the ticket counter and directly ask to buy a stand-byticket? I'm just still a little confused on this. Thanks

james
03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
yeah thats basically how it works. I've done this many times. Its great sometimes, really fucking shitty other times. Its worth the price though usually. I am too old to do it now. I think you have to be like 18-22 or somewhere near there. I flew to chicago and back a couple times on standby x-fares, no problem. then once i went to denver on it...going there was fine, coming back - not so much. i waited for a few flights back, all were booked. so i waited in the airport for a long ass time .. something like 10-12 hours.

but all in all its worth it...just read up on the rules on the website
http://www.airtranu.com/airtran_u.aspx

james
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM
also note the fine print:

AirTran U: *All AirTran U fares, taxes and fees are per segment. Fares do not include per-segment taxes of $3.60, Airport Passenger Facility Charges of up to $4.50 per segment, and September 11th security fee of $2.50 per segment. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice. A+ Rewards: **A+ Rewards seats are subject to availability and blackout dates. Taxes and fees are extra—the September 11th security fee of up to $2.50 per segment is not included. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Passengers traveling to/from Puerto Rico are subject to additional government taxes of up to $32.20. Fares to/from Cancun do not include additional government taxes of up to $100.

SampaGuy
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Each individual airline has its own specific rules so make sure to check a few different ones.

Tiff-O-Bitties
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Be flexible on your dates of travel.. Sometimes the wait can be longer than you anticipate.