PDA

View Full Version : RX-8, water in oil?

X-Runner
03-06-2009, 01:48 AM
No idea how these damn rotary engines work but there shouldn't be water in the oil, I know that much. The coolant isn't low and never has been nor had to be topped off. Car is an 04 with 90K but the engine was replaced by Mazda 9 months ago due to a recall or something. I checked the oil today and it was a little low and milky looking. Just like a blown head gasket, etc. Oil has water in it no question, but how/where? Again the coolant is NOT low and never has been since the new engine was put in the car.

David88vert
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
You shouldn't have water in your oil. Only thing that I can think of is a bad coolant seal between the housings - but you should have lost a little coolant. Flush your oil immediately, refill, run, then try again to test.

Five*Star*
03-07-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm with David /\

Also, the Rx-8 has a good, and sensitive low-coolant light and I would believe that you may not have a problem YET. Just keep an eye on it. Don't top-off you're coolant. Maybe hit the highway or go for a spirited drive. You still have 10k miles left on your engine warranty. I only have 1400 left on my car, and I just got a new motor last August. GL

DDam
03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
This is a common issue with earlier model RX8's caused by condensation. The engine injects oil normally, so this may be why the oil level is low, and condensation may cause it to be milky. Many RX8 owners have witnessed the same problem, especially in cooler weather.

Here is the TSB for this issue with Mazda's remedy for it.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/rx8/bulletin/01-050-06-1664.pdf

Vteckidd
03-08-2009, 07:20 PM
i have never had a coolant problem, but when we changed my oil recently (04 RX8 41k miles) it was milky looking.

i change the oil regularly and never had a problem out of it

Five*Star*
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
This is a common issue with earlier model RX8's caused by condensation. The engine injects oil normally, so this may be why the oil level is low, and condensation may cause it to be milky. Many RX8 owners have witnessed the same problem, especially in cooler weather.

Here is the TSB for this issue with Mazda's remedy for it.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/rx8/bulletin/01-050-06-1664.pdf

Interesting. I need to see if that helps anything else too.

Boosted FC
03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Any updates???

X-Runner
03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
According to that TSB its fine, so whatever.