PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods LS HELP!

hmong_Spec
03-04-2009, 10:03 AM
What can i do to make my Ls motor stronger. I'm not fixing to do a LS/VTEC or anything. LMK GUYS. thanks.

hmong_Spec
03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
no body?

ducky1177
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
find a gsr swap
:ninja:

xdavidscenex
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
boost. nitrous. crash and get insurance money? ;]

hmong_Spec
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
ducky- i would but no cash
xdavidscenex- but my insurance will go up. =(

yunglaosta
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
obd1 or obd2? if ur obd2 like me, then ur shit out of luck unless you do a obd2 to obd1 conversion...but u'd fail emission right off the bat.

IntegraXTR
03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
throw a different tranny on there and it should run alot better.

Mr Egg Rollllll
03-04-2009, 02:35 PM
^^^GSR tranny would work, as long as you don't boost.

Basics: Intake, Header, Exhaust.

I suggest you don't cheap out on those parts though, you'll regret it in the end.

NOCLUE
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
^^^GSR tranny would work, as long as you don't boost.

Basics: Intake, Header, Exhaust.

I suggest you don't cheap out on those parts though, you'll regret it in the end.

AGREE

Barefoot
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
i/h/e gsr tranny with a good clutch

jadakid88
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
brian crower dual valve springs, port and polished head, ported intake manifold, crower 404 stage 3 cams which I have for sale...=) if your interested in anything I just stated just hit me up 6784573292(cortland)

southside
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
^^^^X2 that alone will get you moving for sure....

Barefoot
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
brian crower dual valve springs, port and polished head, ported intake manifold, crower 404 stage 3 cams which I have for sale...=) if your interested in anything I just stated just hit me up 6784573292(cortland)if he isnt willing to do a ls/vtec i doubt he is willing to do this.

Tech5
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
ummm sell it! and buy a bike!

Grimm Reeper
03-04-2009, 10:08 PM
ummm sell it! and buy a bike! x2 but don't kill yourself :goodjob:

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 07:23 AM
haha. thanks guys. but what is yet better, a GSR tranny or SI tranny? but yea, i think im going to just change out the tranny, and get some good clutch.

DeeAOne
03-05-2009, 07:28 AM
LSD type r transmission! :yes:

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
haha. thanks guys. but what is yet better, a GSR tranny or SI tranny? but yea, i think im going to just change out the tranny, and get some good clutch.smalls thats all personal preference.

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
??:thinking:

smalls thats all personal preference.

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 08:02 AM
??:thinking:yes its up to u. both are used for different things. so u really cant compare them unless u have a goal in mind other than make it stronger.

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
well, which one will be better. i always hear people arguing which one is best. heard that GSR locks at 125?

yes its up to u. both are used for different things. so u really cant compare them unless u have a goal in mind other than make it stronger.

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
your missing my point what is your goal for the car.

VickNotic
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
i'm assuming he just wants to keep up with the rest of the pack. Not go so fast but not slow either, I'd say stick to a b16 tranny, slapp some bolt ons, I/H/E 2 1/2" str8 pipe! no resonator! and a little NOS and your GOOD!! you sure ask alot of nooBoo questions. suggest you should ask jimboo for some advice! 8D

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
well, to be honest, i really have no idea what my goal is. i guess fast, but at the same time it wont break my car. iono, i really guess anything good. i caould use everybody help.

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
we can give u ideas. without a goal in mind its kinda a waste of time. me personal love gsr trannys they give u the best of both the ls and b16. an with no goal your better off playing it safe with i/h/e no tranny for now.

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
aigh, well in this case. ima jus save up money, and do a ls/vtec

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
intake header exhaust

punkr6
03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Your tranny is killing you....

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 09:29 AM
how is it killing me?

Your tranny is killing you....

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
how is it killing me?ls tranny are geared longer. great for boost bad for all motor.

hmong_Spec
03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
oh. thanks man. reps for you.

ls tranny are geared longer. great for boost bad for all motor.

ash7
03-05-2009, 06:09 PM
quite possibly the most open ended question i've seen in a while.

-jonathan

Barefoot
03-05-2009, 06:27 PM
quite possibly the most open ended question i've seen in a while.

-jonathanthank you atleast somebody sees what im saying.

DC2NR
03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
i'm assuming he just wants to keep up with the rest of the pack. Not go so fast but not slow either, I'd say stick to a b16 tranny, slapp some bolt ons, I/H/E 2 1/2" str8 pipe! no resonator! and a little NOS and your GOOD!! you sure ask alot of nooBoo questions. suggest you should ask jimboo for some advice! 8D

Why ask me?

Honestly IMO trying to make an B18A/B run fast all motor is a waste of money. I'm not saying it's impossible to go fast, but I'm saying it'll have it's limits in the end leaving you wanting more. I say you have a few options: spraying, boosting, LS/VTEC, or selling it and getting a B18C.

But also as stated before you have to have a goal in mind. Do you want something that'll be fun to drive and kind of fast, or do you want something to whoop some ass on the streets?

Oh and a heads up, whatever route you choose, don't go cheap.

haha. thanks guys. but what is yet better, a GSR tranny or SI tranny? but yea, i think im going to just change out the tranny, and get some good clutch.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Gsr tranny is good for everyday driving since the gears aren't so short. Yet it is still shorter than the LS, which will probably give you a little go fast.

The B16 is great if you want some quick shifts and a little more go fast, but it isn't to great driving down the highway.

Just my :2cents: .

DC2NR
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh yea another thing. Good start would be 2.5 inch exhaust piping, intake, and possibly the Hytech replica header. If I remembered right, I think they might bolt up to the LS manifolds. Won't be super fast, but you might give some stock gsr's a hard time.

tippatone
03-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Like jadakid said if you upgrade your cams, valve springs,etc you can unlock a few more horses, but other than that it is what it is, also that LS tranny is geared to long to try anything other than regular daily driving

Pickleteg
03-08-2009, 09:46 AM
The SI tranny is too short IMO for a stock redline LS. I have a GSR tranny on mine. I originally put it on when I had the JRSC on it, now I am turboed and it still works just fine.

I guess an options is you can always find a JRSC for it on SleazeBay for under a G.......

IntegraXTR
03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
well, to be honest, i really have no idea what my goal is. i guess fast, but at the same time it wont break my car. iono, i really guess anything good. i caould use everybody help.

fast and LS don't go together, sorry but its the truth.

There are ways, but the cost is outrageous. For example, and N/A build will cost almost twice as much than if you chose boost. Breaking 170ish-180sih whp in a LS vs the cost would not be worth it, even with some nice cams, and a bump in compression. You would also have to get tuned if you installed anything other than stage 1 cams (most aftermarket stage 1 cams have stock idle characteristics), which will cost more after the tune.

LS/V- the easiest way to extract power from your motor. Your LS shortblock has a slightly longer stroke than a gsr block which is the reason why your TQ is higher. Cost would be around $500-1000 to get the job done, i.e. Golden eagle ls/v kit, vtec head. Problem is the tranny, you will need to invest in a diff. tranny which will end up costing more.

N/A LS- very costly and doesn't make that much power. If you're aiming to break 200whp, then its going to cost you $$$$$$. Still need a tranny in this case too, the stock tranny is garbage for n/a.

Boost/spray- makes the most power out of the 3, the cost vs power gains makes sense because you could piece together a decent kit for under $1000. The ls tranny is suitable for this setup. You can run a basemap for daily driving if tuning is an issue. Phearable.net has some really good basemaps.

IntegraXTR
03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
The SI tranny is too short IMO for a stock redline LS. I have a GSR tranny on mine. I originally put it on when I had the JRSC on it, now I am turboed and it still works just fine.

I guess an options is you can always find a JRSC for it on SleazeBay for under a G.......

The s4c tranny is perfect for a LS if he wants to do drag. This is one of the best trannys in my opinion if you want to drag race because of the short gears, also its very similar to the ITR tranny. This tranny is not suitable for highway runs though, you will be at about 4000-4200rpm doing 75-80mph, plus you will top out very early.

The GSR tranny is great all around, meaning its good for highways and drag. This setup added with a nice flywheel could get you moving.

Also to the op, since you don't have a goal then I'm assuming that you want to be able to take on gsr's or atleast give them a hard time?

southside
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I say get b16 tranny and if you get somone complaining about how short the gears are and that they cant do 100mph at 2k rpm who cares.All that means is you need to slow your ass down.Speed limits in Atlanta range from 55mph-70mph at most.LOL I dont mind the b16 tranny at all if IMO.Daily,Highway,Or drag.

IntegraXTR
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I say get b16 tranny and if you get somone complaining about how short the gears are and that they cant do 100mph at 2k rpm who cares.All that means is you need to slow your ass down.Speed limits in Atlanta range from 55mph-70mph at most.LOL I dont mind the b16 tranny at all if IMO.Daily,Highway,Or drag.

exactly, the b16 tranny takes advantage of the LS torque curve, added with a nice flywheel and that thing will rev really quick. Only downfall is you will lose a little torque due to the lighten flywheel.

yunglaosta
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
b16 pistons would up your compression...gsr/b16 tranny, cams, i/h/e, good tune and you should be fine.

VickNotic
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
B16 TRANNY FTW

DC2NR
03-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Lol knowing this guy he'd be at 6k all day going down HWY316. Also I get better gas mileage on my GSR at the same time :D.

Eg4LiFe
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM

si tranny with lsd...short gear ratio...thats if you don't boost....gsr and ls is almost the same...

DC2NR
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
si tranny with lsd...short gear ratio...thats if you don't boost....gsr and ls is almost the same...

They're actually alot different.

AyeJaye
03-10-2009, 10:56 PM
i concur with the above

Eg4LiFe
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
They're actually alot different.

they are some wat diff. but i was reffering to the gear ratio. my bad...

Barefoot
03-11-2009, 07:21 AM
they are some wat diff. but i was reffering to the gear ratio. my bad...even then they are different

hmong_Spec
03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
wow, surprise i got so many post to this. but if i want to do Ls/Vtec, all i need is just the vtec head and the wirings and thats it right? But from your opinion, is Ls/Vtec better than B20/Vtec, GSR, and SI?

tippatone
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
wow, surprise i got so many post to this. but if i want to do Ls/Vtec, all i need is just the vtec head and the wirings and thats it right? But from your opinion, is Ls/Vtec better than B20/Vtec, GSR, and SI?

You will also need to tap the LS/B20 for for oil, you can get a Golden Eagle kit, or have a performace shop to do it for you.

punkr6
03-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Ls/v with b16 tranny :goodjob:

IntegraXTR
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM

stock vs stock, the gsr will make more power. The b20v will make more than all of the above because of the displacement i.e. 2.0L.

You will need to tap the head for oil, and get a ls/v kit to make things alot easier considering the golden eagle kit comes with everything you need. Also, while you're doing this, you may want to change out the pistons/rods to bump the compression, p30 pistons should be fine and safe for pump gas.

IntegraXTR
03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
they are some wat diff. but i was reffering to the gear ratio. my bad...

you may want to do a little research first. They are not the same at all, the only thing that is the same is the final drive with all USDM b-series tranny, which is 4.4 btw.

Barefoot
03-11-2009, 11:40 AM
www.google.com all the info u need on ls/vtec

yunglaosta
03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
www.google.com (http://www.google.com) all the info u need on ls/vtec

lol yeah, all he needs to type in is "the first ls/vtec"

Eg4LiFe
03-12-2009, 12:29 AM
you may want to do a little research first. They are not the same at all, the only thing that is the same is the final drive with all USDM b-series tranny, which is 4.4 btw.

i don't need to cuz i don't have ls/gsr tranny... si tranny is still the best and it's wat i got so if i say something wrong about your car my bad dude...sheehs!!! ppl here just always wanna argue huh? if you think you know everything go open a DAMN!!! shop...

Barefoot
03-12-2009, 09:20 AM
si tranny is till the best how do u know a si is whats best. if he has no goal in mind best is a matter of opinion and thats it. whats best for u many not be the best for him. u dont know he might want to boost. b16 tranny aint going to do him no good unless its a track only car.
ppl here just always wanna argue huh?not arguing u just arent making since.
if you think you know everything go open a DAMN!!! shop...i dont know everything but i did open a shop.

240sx_boi
03-12-2009, 10:33 AM

ls and gsr have the same 1st and 2nd gear ratio but after tat there different if i remember right

HMGDRFTER
03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
sell the car, go get a CRX shell and throw a b16,b18c, or b18c5 in there, less insurance too..

4DrTeg
03-12-2009, 05:52 PM
john werent u going to sell this car anyways???..dude just boost only:D

Eg4LiFe
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
how do u know a si is whats best. if he has no goal in mind best is a matter of opinion and thats it. whats best for u many not be the best for him. u dont know he might want to boost. b16 tranny aint going to do him no good unless its a track only car. not arguing u just arent making since. i dont know everything but i did open a shop.

go back up to his thread and read again...he say if he don't boost or ls/vtec :yes:

Professor X
03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
The first thing you should do is open your wallet and see how much money is in there. After counting your dollars, decide how much you're willing to do without. Only then can you even consider changing anything. I'd be willing to bet that if you took a few dollars and performed some routine maintenance your car would be faster. Here are a few inexpensive things you can do that are often overlooked.

1. Check your timing with a timing light. If it's good and you're willing to run premium fuel, advance it 2 degrees.

2. Remove your intake pipe and look at the throttle body. Open it and see how much carbon is built up. Get some throttle body cleaner and clean that up.

3. Consider getting some new plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, and spark plugs.

That is a good start and should keep you pretty busy. You might even get a few more MPG's while you're at it. :D

Slomaro Z28
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
i/h/e gsr tranny with a good clutch

It'll still be slow, thats what I had on my LS. DC headers, Full exhaust, and AEM V2 with full MSD ignition. I'd say boost it with good cams and your insurance won't go up if you don't tell them:ninja:

BeyondaGrave
03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
LS/VTEC is a waste of money if your not gonna change out the tranny. Without a B16/GSR/TYPER tranny you'll be running almost like an LS, but you'll just have VTEC. I would personally go LS/VTEC+GSR TRANNY for everday driving, but like everyone else said its really just personal perference. I say stay LS untill you can fully built your motor because theres no sense in doing VTEC+B16/GSR/TYPER tranny. You'll still be slow.