PDA

View Full Version : Transferring car title around birthday..

aaronfelipe
03-03-2009, 08:31 AM
As you all know, when you purchase a car, you have one month from the date of sale, to transfer the car title to your name. Is are the benefits on transferring the title before or after your birthday if your birthday happens to be in that time frame?
I tried doing a quick google search and wasn't able to really come up with anything.
Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

aaronfelipe
03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
50 rep points for your useful answer.

vinayak
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I am a little confused on your question but I will try to answer it. If you buy a car with current emissions there good for a year from the test date. So say there is a month left on the current emissions you go down and title/tag you dont have to get another one for a year since there good for that long. The next required emissions would be the next time you renew your tag. Now if you had to get emissions I would wait a week or two after my birthday so next year I could get away with the old emissions, a two for one.

Kaiser
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
The best place to ask this question is your local tag office. If you transfer title a week or even a day before your birthday, the next renewal date will still be the date of your birthday. If Ad Valorem taxes for the year you transferred the title in were paid, you will pay the tagging fee and title transfer fee for that year, then on your birthday pay Ad Valorem tax and the renewal tag fee. Often if you are right before your birthday they will let you go ahead and pay all the fees for the next year right then and simply give you a tag that is good until the birthday AFTER your coming birthday (So, say, for a year and two weeks or so, if you did it right now it would be a 2010 renewal rather than a 2009 renewal) and they will do this because it saves them time and effort, not because it will save you money. I've never been able to get out of paying tagging and renewal fees, regardless of when I transferred title. If you can get away with it, good luck.

Don't forget that you need a valid emission (Meaning it is a pass performed less than 365 days before the date you renew) for all vehicles that are not somehow otherwise exempted, meaning less than 8500gvwr or 25 years old ('84 this year).

B18c1Turboed
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I went 3 weeks before my B day to register a new car. I didnt get charged taxes for the following year. So i dont think it really matters if its a few weeks before..

aaronfelipe
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys.

dabuilding
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
u have 30 days to transfer it and if you wait until the month after your birthday you wont have to pay for the tag :goodjob:

aaronfelipe
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I am going to wait until after my birthday to so my emissions are valid for next year. Probably a week after.

Evil Goat
03-04-2009, 04:44 PM
i did it 2 years in a row, transferred the title a week or so after my birthday....$15 i think to transfer it, and never paid taxes on the tag, sold both vehicles before they needed a tag the following years

keevo54
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I did it a week after my birthday and no taxes. Saved me 300 bucks :)