PDA

View Full Version : Which do you like better

wannab20hatch
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
For everyday use which do you guys think is better windows xp, vista, or ubuntu? I kinda like the layout of XP but my new computer has vista on it and im thinking of going back to xp.

Danny
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
why are you thinking about going back to XP? I have found vista 64 ultimate to be stable for every day computing. Gaming is a little tricky here and there, but mostly its pretty good. I am considering installin XP on another drive just for the games that wont run on vista well.

And why Ubuntu? Why that distro over the million others? I prefer SuSe, just to be different. :)

wannab20hatch
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
i like to run firefox on xp vs vista. and for ubuntu i had a buddies brother mention it to me a little while back so i through it up there. maybe i just need to give vista a shot for a while.

Danny
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
i like to run firefox on xp vs vista. and for ubuntu i had a buddies brother mention it to me a little while back so i through it up there. maybe i just need to give vista a shot for a while.

id give it a shot (since u did pay for it and all). makes sure u turn off UAC (if you havent allready). UAC pissed me off so bad when i first installed vista, then i decided to see if u can turn it off. Thankfully you can.

also, i run firefox on vista no problems along with a ton of add-ons. Are you having troubles with that?

wannab20hatch
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
no i havent D/L anything yet until i get norton A/V. Ive just piddled with vista here and there on other peoples computers. maybe im just not use to it.

BTW whats UAC? lol

96Plumls
03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
user account control

DynamicSound
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
XP all the way. I have a Sony laptop (Vista), 2 Toshiba Laptops (1 Vista, 1 XP), and the HP Touch desktop (Vista). I have played around with Windows 7 and it is much better than Vista. Can't wait until the full version comes out.

Paul
03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
windows 7 is pimp and going to be a great OS once it is launched.

sleepys4
03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I have Windows 7 on both of my Computers. Love It!

green91
03-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I use Vista Ultimate on my primary desktop, Ubuntu server on my server @ home, XP PRo & Ubuntu on my laptop and ubuntu desktop on my second home pc.

I will say that I like the elevated permissions setup of Vista (posix ripoff) for security purposes but the rest of the o/s im not a fan of, and so im biased toward XP Pro still, although Ubuntu serves 99% of my daily needs perfectly. I find myself using linux more & and more everyday.

punkr6
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Switched to Apple two years ago and never looked back. You couldn't give me a windows based computer now!

green91
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
And why Ubuntu? Why that distro over the million others? I prefer SuSe, just to be different. :)

Running a Novell developed Distribution they purchased to try and crowbar themselves back into the network market is being different?

Ive run most distributions and i will say out of the box Ubuntu has had some of the best pre-setup driver support, window manager layouts and by far one of the best packaging systems.

gtrmonkey
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Ubuntu, can also be your worst nigthmare if you don't know what your doing.

green91
03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Hell Windows can be a nightmare. Dos can be a nightmare.

gtrmonkey
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
If windows is nightmare beside crashing, then your a dumbass. It the easiest os to use.

green91
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Posting up some shit about ubuntu being a nightmare is pretty dumbass. Its not any of more a difficult o/s than anything other linux distribution. In my experience, its easier in alot of ways.

PROŽ
03-04-2009, 07:07 PM
dont, know what ubuntu is:(, but my vote goes for xp:goodjob:

wannab20hatch
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
its a dual boot system. go to ubuntu.com and order the disc. its free.

Master Shake
03-04-2009, 11:33 PM
when its not being a bitch, vista is pretty sweet.
MS should have fixed the bugs before releasing it.
kinda like the GTR

green91
03-05-2009, 08:20 AM
its a dual boot system. go to ubuntu.com and order the disc. its free.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. It can be installed by itself OR setup so you can decide whether to boot it or another o/s at the time of system startup, hence possibly being dual boot

wannab20hatch
03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
my knowledge of computers > chris' knowledge

green91
03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I'll take on that challenge (or lack of)

wannab20hatch
03-05-2009, 08:40 PM
no challege here. as you can tell im no math wizard either. but o one said you had to be smart to run into a burning building for a living either. lol

gtrmonkey
03-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Posting up some shit about ubuntu being a nightmare is pretty dumbass. Its not any of more a difficult o/s than anything other linux distribution. In my experience, its easier in alot of ways.

How many non computer literatie people use ubuntu not everyone is familiar with linux. I would never recommend ubuntu to any one that has never used a computer. The reason being there no point having that much control when your just going to get frastated, I have gentoo on my ps3 and knoppix . So i know what linux is.

green91
03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
You aren't even worth trying to debate, you keep making moot points that nobody is trying to argue and honestly don't make any sense. Nobody is asking whether its a good o/s for a first time pc user. But then again if someone is on IA, I guess they have used a computer before, right? Furthermore your spelling and grammar is horrendous. If you would like to make any more stupid posts do it elsewhere please.

a1strank
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
if you have 2GB+ of ram and a 64bit CPU (prefer 4gb+) then I would use 64bit vista. if not then stick with XP imo

gtrmonkey
03-11-2009, 05:25 PM
You aren't even worth trying to debate, you keep making moot points that nobody is trying to argue and honestly don't make any sense. Nobody is asking whether its a good o/s for a first time pc user. But then again if someone is on IA, I guess they have used a computer before, right? Furthermore your spelling and grammar is horrendous. If you would like to make any more stupid posts do it elsewhere please.

Have you ever made an hybrid verison of linux? Do you know even the advantage of using linux over windows? Have you ever compiled a keneral?
Do you know most of the sudo commands?

If all you know how to do is point click install, then why are you even using linux your wasting it potenial. And making things harder on yourself. It kind of like having a custom car and never ever tuning it. You know how much of the potenial is wasted. A shit load. Gosh man, this is about which os in general is better and I believe the point I have made is quite on topic.

Taking a shot at bashing someone spelling and grammer make me think that you are trying to move away from the topic of computer(which you know nothing about) to personal bashing because thats where you feel you can hide your stupiditiy of computer knowledge. IF your going to call me out, then do it on topic and on my grammar.

gtrmonkey
03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
if you have 2GB+ of ram and a 64bit CPU (prefer 4gb+) then I would use 64bit vista. if not then stick with XP imo

I would advise against that, I would still use 64 bit xp. Or use windows 7.

green91
03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Have you ever made an hybrid verison of linux? Do you know even the advantage of using linux over windows? Have you ever compiled a keneral?
Do you know most of the sudo commands?

If all you know how to do is point click install, then why are you even using linux your wasting it potenial. And making things harder on yourself. It kind of like having a custom car and never ever tuning it. You know how much of the potenial is wasted. A shit load. Gosh man, this is about which os in general is better and I believe the point I have made is quite on topic.

Oh please man, youre talking out of your ass again. 5+ years ago when i first started using linux (i was using slackware at the time) I did compile kernels to add in networking card drivers that weren't available as modules. I also added support for a RAID card i was using at the time. Slackware didn't at that time (and still may not, im unsure) have a GUI installer, it was primarily text based, including manually setting partitions with fdisk. Fortunately since then driver support has increased tenfold and I haven't need to compile a kernel in many years.

FYI, I manage several servers (personal & at work) including W2K3 SBS in a Vmware session on Ubuntu, Windows file sharing with samba, intranet site with apache2, set up an on-site internet filtering & cache solution with SQUID and custom wrote http handling scripts to filter keywords etc WITH a redundant backup server and centralized cache, and also wrote a perl script to parse the log files for bandwidth accoutning through the proxy. I could literally go on for several hours about my experience. Im not the guy who is into trendy things and installed Linux because its hip.

green91
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't even know why im defending myself against your lame ass arguments, computers are large part of how i make a living and you aren't even 21 yrs old and taking online classes.

Plus the more you post makes you sound less and less smart.

gtrmonkey
03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Well I underestimated you lol. But you have to admit most of the people on this forum don't have nearly as much computer knowledge as you and you been working with linux + 5 years, So it pretty much second nature to you. Imagine if all you knew was windows and you had literilary had no pirating experence, No knowledge of open source programs, and never ever touch dos. You have to admit which is majority of this forum and of people that use computers today. Linux is quite a big step for them, It very different then windows in there eyes. That why when the first netbooks like the Eee Pc came up with linux most people return them and bought the windows os ones. Because It was something they were not use too. All I am saying is for the Avg joe windows is more then they will ever need.

green91
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Perhaps it is a bit overkill, but thousands of people have put thousands of man hours into developing open source software for the linux community, and there are alot of good programs available for FREE. Even in the last few years the entire community has moved forward quite a bit in user friendliness, and will continue to do so to the point where it was easy or easier to use than windows. The hardest part is breaking habits and dependencies to Windows applications. The more people that are willing to make a switch to break away from ridiculous licensing agreements and costs and move to linux where software is updated more often and is generally safer, the more refined the product will be come and in the end easier. So i support the movement in general. Some people do buy corvettes just to cruse 55mph ya know!

I apologize for being so harsh, it gets under my skin to be accused of not knowing what im talking about.

gtrmonkey
03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't even know why im defending myself against your lame ass arguments, computers are large part of how i make a living and you aren't even 21 yrs old and taking online classes.

Plus the more you post makes you sound less and less smart.

What the Fuck is the suppose to mean, You know I am taking online class at AU. It not MIT or Gatech or anything of the cailber. But is still a respected college. The reason I am taking online classes is to give my parents a break from paying college tution, and it gives me more flexibity to work. So what if I am not even 21 yet. What does that matter? How does that effect the amount I have learned(For all you know I could been learning computer since I was five)? Granted you know more than me in computers but you haven't even made an argurement to why I am wrong. All I see are personal attacks. Like your argurement is lame. Your grammar sucks. Why don't you use that 5+ years of computer expernice to own me on the topic.

green91
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Read my previous post ^^. Im done with this thread.

gtrmonkey
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Perhaps it is a bit overkill, but thousands of people have put thousands of man hours into developing open source software for the linux community, and there are alot of good programs available for FREE. Even in the last few years the entire community has moved forward quite a bit in user friendliness, and will continue to do so to the point where it was easy or easier to use than windows. The hardest part is breaking habits and dependencies to Windows applications. The more people that are willing to make a switch to break away from ridiculous licensing agreements and costs and move to linux where software is updated more often and is generally safer, the more refined the product will be come and in the end easier. So i support the movement in general. Some people do buy corvettes just to cruse 55mph ya know!

I apologize for being so harsh, it gets under my skin to be accused of not knowing what im talking about.

I would totally agree with that,. So I apologize for underestimating you, Like you said before I though you were one of those guys that uses Linux because it Hip and tell everyone it windows easier then windows and better. That really irrates me because I have a bunch of people that are like Linux is to hard and why won't my games work on it, why doesn't mircosoft products work on it. I though It was suppose to be better questions. Then they quit, wanting to learning because they were trying to follow a fad. There no problem with people wanting to learn but people these days want everything spoon fed to them and don't want to take the time to learn it.

gtrmonkey
03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Read my previous post ^^. Im done with this thread.

Lol I post that during the server crashed or esle I would have edit it.