PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Some head work ?'s

tdurr
02-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Okay, so I just searched and everyone is saying there arnt any good shops in GA that do head work. Okay, say if i just wanted a 3angle valve job, is there any shop in ga that can do that?

Also, can someone breakdown what port & polish does to the head? I remember reading somewhere(with proof) that porting and polishing(the exhaust side only) is the best for gains. Does that sound right?

AnthonyF
02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
WHOA WHOA WHOA. No good places to do head work? I've never had this shop do any "performance" mods, but we take our stuff to them and they are FANTASTIC.

DOVER HEADS. Just South of the airport. Tell them Anthony from A to Z with the Supercharged mustang sent you. I believe the main guy I deal with is Casey (not 100%) but there is also Miguel and many other great guys there.

Polishing is just the process of smoothing the inside of the intake and exhaust ports. I've actually heard a rough polish works better than perfectly smooth.

Porting, or Port matching is making the ports on the exhaust side the side diameter as your exhaust manifold and same with your intake side. For a more even and smoother flow. Also if your making them larger, you get more flow.

-Ant.

tdurr
02-28-2009, 09:05 AM
^^ like i said, i searched, but thanks for the quick reply. ill check them out.

AnthonyF
02-28-2009, 09:09 AM
^refresh.

-Ant.

punkr6
02-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Scott's Machine shop in Fayetteville does 3 angle valve jobs

Vteckidd
02-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Scotts machine SHop in fayeteville for machine work

Mainstream Performance can port heads

AnthonyF
02-28-2009, 10:02 AM
^I would have to refrain from going to Scotts. They ruined an engine of mine and blamed it on an oil pump which was BRAND NEW and flowing perfectly. I believe if you have a standard Chevy engine or 5.0 mustang engine, then go to Scotts.

-Ant.

punkr6
02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
^I would have to refrain from going to Scotts. They ruined an engine of mine and blamed it on an oil pump which was BRAND NEW and flowing perfectly. I believe if you have a standard Chevy engine or 5.0 mustang engine, then go to Scotts.

-Ant.

WOW,, I've been useing them for years with great results. I know Scott personally and he is a stand up guy. This is the first negetive comment I've heard about his work..

Vteckidd
02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
New oil pumps can fail seen it happen. But I've never had any issues from him

AnthonyF
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
^true. But when my oil pressure gauge is reading correctly, then I even ad a mechanical gauge to 2x check...I know it wasnt the pump. :)

-Ant.

civicnick
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
anyone have contact info for mainstream.... their website is under construction

AnthonyF
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
anyone have contact info for mainstream.... their website is under construction
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/TRYMY40/duh.png

-Ant.

Grimm Reeper
02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
WOW,, I've been useing them for years with great results. I know Scott personally and he is a stand up guy. This is the first negetive comment I've heard about his work..

x2 been going to Scott's for years as well. No problems and again a Straight forward and stand-up guy.

tdurr
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
as much as i want to go to scotts, i dono if i trust his "we fuck it up, you pay" policy. thats were i got my valve from last time this happend... I guess ill call. and i guess ill go in mainstream's section and see bout a valve job, thanks folks.

Brick
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Pro Line Race Engines - Woodstock

punkr6
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/TRYMY40/duh.png

-Ant.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Barefoot
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
WOW,, I've been useing them for years with great results. I know Scott personally and he is a stand up guy. This is the first negetive comment I've heard about his work..dat right

ranger250x
02-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Also, can someone breakdown what port & polish does to the head? I remember reading somewhere(with proof) that porting and polishing(the exhaust side only) is the best for gains. Does that sound right?

porting increases the area inside the intake and/or exhaust runners to allow for more flow. poilshing usually only occurs on the exhaust runner. the reason the intake is left alone, or slightly crossed hatched, is similar to the reason that a golf ball has dimples.

Init2winit
02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Okay, so I just searched and everyone is saying there arnt any good shops in GA that do head work. Okay, say if i just wanted a 3angle valve job, is there any shop in ga that can do that?

Also, can someone breakdown what port & polish does to the head? I remember reading somewhere(with proof) that porting and polishing(the exhaust side only) is the best for gains. Does that sound right?Who ever said that is an idiot.

As far as "porting and polishing" goes, porting can benefit you if done properly along with a good valve job, but "polishing" is pointless, and actually reduces velocity in the runners.

Init2winit
02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
as much as i want to go to scotts, i dono if i trust his "we fuck it up, you pay" policy. thats were i got my valve from last time this happend... I guess ill call. and i guess ill go in mainstream's section and see bout a valve job, thanks folks.Oh, trust that policy. It happens a lot with them.

Init2winit
02-28-2009, 09:44 PM

-Ant.I wouldn't let them work in a lawn mower engine.

TheGrillMan
02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't let them work in a lawn mower engine.

lol

tdurr
02-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't let them work in a lawn mower engine.

lulz.
thanks for the insite. But i hate the policy, i dono why they would have that. They must not trust their own work or something. Thats how i see it. But ill talk to them, scene they are local.

§treet_§peed
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't let them work in a lawn mower engine.what the fuck you been up to honkey?

yunglaosta
03-01-2009, 12:20 AM
WHOA WHOA WHOA. No good places to do head work? I've never had this shop do any "performance" mods, but we take our stuff to them and they are FANTASTIC.

DOVER HEADS. Just South of the airport. Tell them Anthony from A to Z with the Supercharged mustang sent you. I believe the main guy I deal with is Casey (not 100%) but there is also Miguel and many other great guys there.

Polishing is just the process of smoothing the inside of the intake and exhaust ports. I've actually heard a rough polish works better than perfectly smooth.

Porting, or Port matching is making the ports on the exhaust side the side diameter as your exhaust manifold and same with your intake side. For a more even and smoother flow. Also if your making them larger, you get more flow.

-Ant.

yeah man dover ftw! dealt with them before also :goodjob:

VickNotic
03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
as much as i want to go to scotts, i dono if i trust his "we fuck it up, you pay" policy. thats were i got my valve from last time this happend... I guess ill call. and i guess ill go in mainstream's section and see bout a valve job, thanks folks.

was that a misspell or is this for real.. they fuck it up, we pay for it. or is it they fuck it up, they'll pay for it ..

Init2winit
03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
was that a misspell or is this for real.. they fuck it up, we pay for it. or is it they fuck it up, they'll pay for it ..He said it right.

southside
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Yea I've heard bad and good stuff about Scotts but I've never had a problem with him.But for head work, Dover is the place talk to Jesse over there he will get you squared away.