PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP!!!!

TougeGTR-33
02-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Not sure whats going on! Ok when I start my car when its cold, and I put it in gear (automatic) the engine makes a grinding noise, like my tensioner pulley is bad, but I don't think its bad. but when it warms up it stops. Today when I cranked it, I heard a hard pinging noise like my lifter was going out so I shut it off and turned it back on and it stopped.

So today I was on 124 and I put my foot in it a little and it got up to about 4800 rpms it slipped and the engine reved up almost to red line. What do you guys think it is. reps for any input.

Oh yeah my car is a 1998 3000 gt SL.

DirtyMechanic
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
you need a tranny...

TougeGTR-33
02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
you need a tranny...

Well the tranny shifts great and seems to be fine, so what about the hard pinging noise from the engine. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, if I floor it, ( I hardly ever do) it slips and a belt screams at about 4500rpm. But only sometimes it does that too.

im_hung
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
slipping may be due to your torque converter going out.

TougeGTR-33
02-24-2009, 09:43 PM
C'mon guys

TougeGTR-33
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
slipping may be due to your torque converter going out.

Would that be the only sign of it going out??

DirtyMechanic
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
slipping may be due to your torque converter going out.or the bands and clutchs have had it.

tranny fluid low? smells burnt?

tighten or replace your drive belts to stop the noise form them.

what belt is slipping? if your hitting the rev limit when in gear. it defff sounds like a tranny problem NOT a engine problem.

TougeGTR-33
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
or the bands and clutchs have had it.

tranny fluid low? smells burnt?

tighten or replace your drive belts to stop the noise form them.

what belt is slipping? if your hitting the rev limit when in gear. it defff sounds like a tranny problem NOT a engine problem.

Damn, I'm not too sure what belt it is. Could it be my timing belt?? I know on those cars the timing belt can really mess things up. How big of a tranny problem is this? how much would it take to fix it?? All the belts on the outside of the engine are tight and brand new. Like I was saying before, I would get to higher rpms and the belt would slip and it would scream and the rpms would go up, but not sure what belt.

Kaiser
02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't know anything about the automatic transmissions in those cars, however I do know that a slipping torque converter can sound similar to a pulley going bad or a belt against a seized pulley. You definitely need a new torque converter and such, and probably need a new trans.

TougeGTR-33
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone! now I have to go and look at the parts, Damn the torque Converter is 1,015 bucks! DAMN!!!!!

TougeGTR-33
02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Ah, Found one for 715. How bad would it be to drive it like it is until I can get the money????

DirtyMechanic
02-25-2009, 04:34 AM
your timing belt cant slip it usualy has teeth on it and if it jump timing get off and pops your motor.

TougeGTR-33
02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
your timing belt cant slip it usualy has teeth on it and if it jump timing get off and pops your motor.

Damn, So if I drive it with a bad torque converter and it jumps, it could pop my timing belt off??

DirtyMechanic
02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
i dont think your timing belt is slipping because if it is. you would have already popped your motor. you need a tranny. probably cheaper to get a whole used tranny then just a torque converter, that you still dont know if that the probably. have someone that knows something look at it. and dont ask on IA....

Kaiser
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Aamco. Double A, M-C-O.

Free transmission diagnostics.

And if it is a slipping torque converter it could be very bad. I've seen a slipping torque converter explode, even heavy duty drag-strip style ones.

TougeGTR-33
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone! Reps to you all. Got alot of help.