PDA

View Full Version : Head bolt and ecu questions????

egibbs123
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Pulled the head off my b16a2 motor today. I was wondering if you can reuse the head bolts or if you have to get new ones. Also will a b16a2 ecu run a b18b1 head?

Barefoot
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Pulled the head off my b16a2 motor today. I was wondering if you can reuse the head bolts or if you have to get new ones. Also will a b16a2 ecu run a b18b1 head?honda bolts are torque to yield so they stretch with when torque them. so that is a negative on reuse. it will but not for long. ull get CELs do to the missing sensor vtec motor have and nons dont. an your fuel map will be way off which is bad.

Tech5
02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I have reused these headbolts many times without any issues.....I wouldnt replace them but thats me!

If it was my car I will resuse them....Customers car gets new ones so they cant come back an say anything ....

ECU>? your trying to install a B18b1 head on your B16a2 block?

Romeo
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I think he's doing it backwards. Lol.:lmfao:

Tech5
02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
lol sounds like it

egibbs123
02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
my b16 head is bad... just had the b18b laying around in my garage. Trying to find the cheapest fix for now just so i can get back on the road....

Barefoot
02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
my b16 head is bad... just had the b18b laying around in my garage. Trying to find the cheapest fix for now just so i can get back on the road....lol smalls i thought that was a typo in the OP. the easy and cheapest is to get another b16 head.

Tech5
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
lol smalls i thought was a typo in the OP. the easy and cheapest is to get another b16 head.

What is wrong with his head? might be a block issue

Barefoot
02-24-2009, 09:33 AM
What is wrong with his head? might be a block issuelol i dont know. this was all the info i had to go on.

my b16 head is bad... no details FTW

Grimm Reeper
02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Shit how much you wanna get rid of the head for since it's fawk'd lol or :thinking:

Barefoot
02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Shit how much you wanna get rid of the head for since it's fawk'd lol or :thinking:good question $50

Grimm Reeper
02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
good question $50

lol if it's not too bad :D it's SOLD :lmfao:

egibbs123
02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
yeah prob gonna just get a new b16 head.... ill sell you the b18b1 motor for the right price....

ash7
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm with Tech5 on this one.

Currently running reused head bolts on my setup without a single issue. I just inspected/cleaned the threads of each before adding a tad of anti-seize to each as well as running a tap through the block threads to clean those jokers out too. I also made sure to mark each bolt so it went back into exactly the same place it was in before.

-jonathan

Tech5
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm with Tech5 on this one.

Currently running reused head bolts on my setup without a single issue. I just inspected/cleaned the threads of each before adding a tad of anti-seize to each as well as running a tap through the block threads to clean those jokers out too. I also made sure to mark each bolt so it went back into exactly the same place it was in before.

-jonathan

AND!!!!

Dip them in Oil before installing them"

ash7
02-24-2009, 12:37 PM
AND!!!!

Dip them in Oil before installing them"

that's what the anti-seize was for ;)

...i didn't do the oil though... "whoops?"
-jonathan

Tech5
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
that's what the anti-seize was for ;)

...i didn't do the oil though... "whoops?"
-jonathan

I never use Anti - Seize I use NEW oil and DIP them!

Barefoot
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
oil all

ash7
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM

dang, well... too late to cry over spilled milk. It's holding together fine.

...anti-seize is an old airforce crew chief habit i guess... we practically brushed our teeth with that stuff.
-jonathan

egibbs123
02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
all keep this in mind that you for your input....

DirtyMechanic
02-24-2009, 08:45 PM

moly is better than oil by FAR!!!! fyi

lol anti-seize or moly-lube. because i would never ever use your normal anti-seize for critical fasteners. Moly is by far the best and really the only thing to use on a critical fastener, so you make sure you get the correct tq and angle of the bolt.

oh and a little something interesting for you techy type people
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2343/threaded_fasteners_torquetoyield_and_torquetoangle .aspx

im_hung
02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I have reused these headbolts many times without any issues.....I wouldnt replace them but thats me!

If it was my car I will resuse them....Customers car gets new ones so they cant come back an say anything ....

Yup, you can reuse head studs. :goodjob:
But if I remember correctly the b16 head studs are longer than the LS head studs.. someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Tech5
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
moly is better than oil by FAR!!!! fyi

lol anti-seize or moly-lube. because i would never ever use your normal anti-seize for critical fasteners. Moly is by far the best and really the only thing to use on a critical fastener, so you make sure you get the correct tq and angle of the bolt.

oh and a little something interesting for you techy type people
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2343/threaded_fasteners_torquetoyield_and_torquetoangle .aspx

True But I will stick what I been doing for years now, I have built more engines then a whore in atlanta can count how many times she has done the deed lol... Oiling the headbolts has been done for many many years to come with out any failure....Yes I am sure that this new Technology that we have more an better things are on the market..But I will not change whats been working for me without any problems.

DirtyMechanic
02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
True But I will stick what I been doing for years now, I have built more engines then a whore in atlanta can count how many times she has done the deed lol... Oiling the headbolts has been done for many many years to come with out any failure....Yes I am sure that this new Technology that we have more an better things are on the market..But I will not change whats been working for me without any problems.of course oil is just fine for service work and stock motors. but the anti-seize people are talking about reminds me of the something you would put on a dry 02 sensor. yes oil is just fine for stock motors and TTY head bolts. but when you get into NOT stock motors get some ARP Moly youll see how much better it is to torque and angle torque bolts down.

Tech5
02-26-2009, 08:45 AM
of course oil is just fine for service work and stock motors. but the anti-seize people are talking about reminds me of the something you would put on a dry 02 sensor. yes oil is just fine for stock motors and TTY head bolts. but when you get into NOT stock motors get some ARP Moly youll see how much better it is to torque and angle torque bolts down.

I have built many HP engines also used oil all the time Never a issue....A good torque wrench is nice though

Barefoot
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
yall crazy im sry but i just can reuse head bolt. unless they have been stretch tested first. even then im not a fan.

Tech5
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
yall crazy im sry but i just can reuse head bolt. unless they have been stretch tested first. even then im not a fan.

It just depends on the car, an motor....My hondas I will reuse even the dealer that I worked at told us to do so....but volks,BMW,some fords,chevys, I will get new ones

Barefoot
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
ive resused head bolts on a honda twice and they failed both times. so since then cheap an easy insurance for me are new 1s.

Benefit
02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
just get some ARPs

Tech5
02-26-2009, 09:50 AM
just get some ARPs

for a 80 year old grandma's civic?:thinking: :thinking:

Barefoot
02-26-2009, 09:56 AM
for a 80 year old grandma's civic?:thinking: :thinking:lol they are still cheaper than oems. for the price the average guy can buy them for at the dealership.

DirtyMechanic
02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
i know sometime ARP 2000's are cheaper than OEM TTY bolts lol....