PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problem

EP3sAreFun
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Maybe some of you can give me some more insight.

I've got a 1986 Starion.

Factory fuel pump went dead ages ago and the previous owner installed a Walbro 255 and had the tank vatted and recoated by a radiator shop. When he did this he replaced the factory banjo bolt fuel filter with a Summit racing filter with a 40 micron stainless steel replacable element and revomed both filters between the pump and tank.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, felt like fuel pressure was dropping. Bought a Fuel pressure gauge and verified under driving conditions the fuel pump would drop pressure instead of increase.

So i replaced the pump and added the 2 filters between the pump and the fuel tank. First it would not pull ANY fuel from the tank. So i primed the system and the car will idle just fine now and build the correct amount of pressure. But I still have same problem. Actualy, the problem is worse. The car will sit and idle just fine at 40psi, but as soon as i touch the throttle to move the car the pressure drops.

The only thing i can think of is that the front filter is so clogged that its restricting flow and making problems for the rest of the system.

I'm also using an Aeromotive rising rate FPR that was bought brand new and installed into this car. A friend of mine think its one of 2 things, either the pick-up tube is pressed into the pick up screen too closely and not creating enough vacuum or the FPR is faulty in some way.

I don't think its got anything to do with the pickup screen because i had the hose coming off of the pump running into a cup of fuel and it would not suck ANY fuel out. That was before i primed it.

So, I'm going to check that front filter, probably tonight. but the only way i can think to check that FPR is to replace it and try that.

Any ideas?

Stormhammer
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I want to say try the front fuel filter before anything else. I'll never forget pulling mine nad having my gas coming out brown.

EP3sAreFun
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I already pulled it, it doesnt look that bad.

tdurr
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
damn, that sucks. starquest.com would be a good place to post also.
Im not getting any ideas off the top of my head accept just replace the old fuel filter and check wiring/voltage going to the fuel pump& injectors. Maybe a bad connection somewhere

EP3sAreFun
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I've been on SQC since 2006 :)

This is posted on there as well. Just trying to get more perspective

Wiring is good. Triple checked that. Messing with the front fuel filter in the next day or so.

im_hung
02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
2 filters? 1 too many... eliminate 1 and try again. 1 filter is sufficient. it causes more restriction, think of it as air filters... 2 will cause a lack of air thus starving the motor of air, this goes with fuel as well

EP3sAreFun
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I have the same number of filters as stock, with a much more powerful pump.

Engine bay, Fuel pump and in-tank

Big_Dave
02-24-2009, 12:08 AM
perhaps the pick up line in the tank is partially clogged with the tank liner that was applied, or old varnished gas. Try cleaning it out. As for the rising rate regulator, we could loan you an adjustable regulator to trouble shoot with. call me or come by the shop. 404-587-5590. Dave

EP3sAreFun
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
perhaps the pick up line in the tank is partially clogged with the tank liner that was applied, or old varnished gas. Try cleaning it out. As for the rising rate regulator, we could loan you an adjustable regulator to trouble shoot with. call me or come by the shop. 404-587-5590. Dave

Thanks Dave, I got one more trick up my sleeve to try tonight and then the regulator is my next target.

When i had the pick up tube assy out i looked in the tank, that was all nice and clear gas. I also blew through and checked the pick up tube when i had it out. I think i may have something though. Late last night i reassembled the summit filter without the element inside it and had my wife bump the car. Fuel came shooting out like a garden hose on full blast. So i'm gonna just re-attach that front line and see if the pressure acts right. i'm thinking that front filter was just too clogged.

EP3sAreFun
02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
problem fixed!

I can't believe it but it was the front Fuel filter.