PDA

View Full Version : **Wheel Spacers: Safe on oem studs?**

GetFRESH!
02-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Ok this question has probably been asked a million times already... and every time I was probably watching some fake reality show on tv when the answer was given, so I'll ask it one more time:

What's the largest spacer that is safe to use with short oem studs on a honda (eg hatch specifically)?

I've heard from many that 5mm would be no problem but I found some 6mm that I wanna try. How many full rotations are needed for the lugs to be securely tightened? I'm not trying to do some vdub extreme spacing or anything, just wanna bring them bitches a lil closer to the fender.

Any takers?

im_hung
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
i would just get extended wheel studs... better safe than sorry

Sammich
02-23-2009, 09:35 AM
probably 10mm...i'm not positive though..

but i would get extended wheel studs also

The BUCKY
02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
i wouldnt even use 5mm. last time i tried i didnt get many turns. could have been the wheels though

ash7
02-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Andrew be careful when you're trying this bro, the reason lug studs have so many threads on them is so that the 80ft/lb. of torque necessary to hold the lugs down can be distributed in a more linear fashion among them.

Start messing with this (and only getting four threads deep) and you're taking a serious risk of losing a wheel while cornering. "Safe" is always a relative term bro. :goodjob:

MikeGSR has some good advice.

...saw your car out at Luke's this weekend btw, your secret is safe with me. ;)
-jonathan

AnthonyF
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Anybody who uses a wheel spacer is a moron.

-Ant.

Jecht
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Just get a wider wheel.

Blitanicle99
02-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I ran 5mm spacers on my S13, never broke anything and I did *attempt* to drift it back in the day. Its your car, do what you want.

X-Runner
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I was told 6 full 360* turns was enough but IDK.

tdurr
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM

-Ant.
fuck u i got them on my rx7 lol. :crazy:

I was told 6 full 360* turns was enough but IDK.
Well i think i should be dead, i get like 5(if that many) on my car and i went to the mtns yesterday... but i tq my wheels like every 2 weeks.

GetFRESH!
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
i would just get extended wheel studs... better safe than sorry

Very true. Not trying to half ass anything or compromise my safety just to take a few mm's out of the offset.

-Ant.

Also true.

Just get a wider wheel.

I don't want anything wider than the wheel i have. 7" is plenty wide. I just wanted to tweak the offset.

Andrew be careful when you're trying this bro, the reason lug studs have so many threads on them is so that the 80ft/lb. of torque necessary to hold the lugs down can be distributed in a more linear fashion among them.

Start messing with this (and only getting four threads deep) and you're taking a serious risk of losing a wheel while cornering. "Safe" is always a relative term bro. :goodjob:

MikeGSR has some good advice.

...saw your car out at Luke's this weekend btw, your secret is safe with me. ;)
-jonathan

I hear ya man. If I do end up spacing em, I'll just get some extended ARP's or something.

Oh and yeah as for my car... :ninja: Cha cha cha changes :yes: lol. It's only been a day and I'm already going nuts without it. I still got some goodies at the house waiting to be christened.

Thanks for the responses folks. I'll prolly just stick with what I got for now, but the info was very useful for any future reference.