PDA

View Full Version : General Chat My plans for a Auto-X Project Car. Yay, or Nay

VTECking
02-21-2009, 11:39 PM
So basically I want to get a Datsun 240z, 260z, or 280z that doesn't run but the body is in decent shape, and has no rust on the frame of the car. I am going to do all the necessary suspension work, brake work, etc to have it handle the turns well, and excelerate out of corners well. I also want to put a SR20DET because if you mount the motor back as far as you can against the firewall it supposedly becomes like a mid-engined car, which would be good for auto-x. I am also going do all the necessary tuning and building of the motor to make the Z car fast, but not too fast. I just basically want it to scoot pretty damn well, but not be crazy fast where whenever the turbo spools I will loose traction so basically I will be content with 240-270 WHP. Acounting that my money situation stays the way it is until I am done with the project I'd say it would take 1.5 to 2 years to complete. So what is IA's opinions about it?

3Gcelica
02-22-2009, 03:54 AM
lol thats exactly what im lookin to do, but I want to use a RB motor and mine will be more of just a nice street car. :D
With that setup in auto cross, they will put you in a class where the competition is stacked. :2cents:

nreggie454
02-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Yup, with that setup you would be in SM2 or one of the Prepared classes (which are extremely competitive). The car would definitely be fun to drive, but it would be in a class with guys that have thousands of dollars to spend on their cars.

One guy I know in Memphis is finishing up a 280Z with a VQ35.

SampaGuy
02-22-2009, 04:36 PM
I say you autocross your current car a few times before you decide to build a dedicated car for it when you know nothing about it.

Cool Cat Racing
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
x2. You've got a long way to go before you even need to "build" anything. I don't know how many people ask me what they should build to start autox and I just laugh every time. It sounds like you're right out of high school so I'd say read some more and race whatever you can first before you spend the money building something. I will tell you that SSM is a very competitive class and you'll need a good bit of skill and experience to do well. Depending on how far you go with chassis work you may end up in FP or XP, you don't want to be in either.

VTECking
02-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I say you autocross your current car a few times before you decide to build a dedicated car for it when you know nothing about it.

x2. You've got a long way to go before you even need to "build" anything. I don't know how many people ask me what they should build to start autox and I just laugh every time. It sounds like you're right out of high school so I'd say read some more and race whatever you can first before you spend the money building something. I will tell you that SSM is a very competitive class and you'll need a good bit of skill and experience to do well. Depending on how far you go with chassis work you may end up in FP or XP, you don't want to be in either.

Good points, I guess I will just take my 328I and see if I like auto-x "which I'm sure I will" but most importantly see how well I will place in the class that they place me in. Which class would that be, my car is a pretty much stock 328I 5-speed.

MongolPup
02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
You know you need five kills to be an aerial ace and we haven't been at war with anyone with a legitimate (if one at all) air force in quite a bit.

VTECking
02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
^ I know, but who says that we arn't gonna get into one, cause quite frankly I dont think the US is done with the middle east yet. With Iran building nukes and shit I think we will be there for a while.

Elbow
02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
I think you should def. autocross whatever you have first, strictly built autocross cars are kind of "fruity?"

MongolPup
02-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Iran's decrepit F-14's aren't a problem, and they don't have the money to maintain the Phoenix's that have been fired in combat all of once haha

VTECking
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
^ Its not really Iran that concerns me, cause I know that if we got in a war just with Iran we would demolish them like the we did Iraq in the Persian Gulf War, but its that Iran, China, and Russia have a mutual defense treaty, and the USAF, Navy, and Marines would have to put a good aeriel fight with China, but even more so with Russia "because most likely both of these would come to help Iran if we attacked them" cause of the SU-27, SU-33, and soon to be "if not already" SU-47 "not to mention the fight our ground-forces would have to do".

matthewAPM
02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
SM2...bad idea. You will NEVER beat them. Seriously.

VTECking
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
SM2...bad idea. You will NEVER beat them. Seriously.
Hey what class would my 328I 5-Speed be in?

matthewAPM
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
what does it have done to it?

VTECking
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
what does it have done to it?
Stock, just wanna run it so make sure I want to really get into auto-x.

matthewAPM
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
D stock. (DS). That is no place for a stock 328 at all. You have to deal with the Type-R's and the fastest DS ITR's in the nation are here.

Build for DSP.

VTECking
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
^ good point. but I just wanted to run it not really to win, but just to make sure I really want to build this Z car for auto-x, cause this will be a BIG investment for me.

matthewAPM
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Please dont build the Z for autocross. It is going to cost a LOT more then what you think to be competitive.

you would be better off building the BMW.

Cool Cat Racing
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Just look at how much was spent on the two blue Z's that I believe both run FP. Beautiful cars but I know both have spent quite a bit of money on them.