PDA

View Full Version : The End all of Rice....What is it, you ask?

quickdodgeŽ
02-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Below is a piece I wrote for an upcoming feature for an online forum It is strictly freestyle and all my thoughts and words.

Continue:

Rice?

There are two age old questions that have plagued historians for many years. One being the ever popular: Which came first; the chicken or the egg? Another timeless query brings me to the subject at hand.

What IS the definition of rice? Well? Well besides it being the main staple of Asian food culture and a harmless projectile aimed solely for a bride and groom at their wedding, rice is a well known description of a car that is tasteless, done without any regards to the respect of other people's eyesight or done with thanks to Manny, Moe and Jack. Rice covers a broad range of definitons from functionality to just plain ugly. People will argue that if it serves no purpose, then it's rice. Others offer up that anything gotten while you were "in the Zone" is a complete defamation of your car and is rice-a-rific. I myself don't really use the term rice on cars. It's either just plain ugly or it looks good.

I find myself laughing at the contradictory lifestyle some tuners live. I watched a thread grow about the possible riceness of carbon fiber products. You put carbon fiber on your car because you want to decrease weight of the car for better times at the strip. It serves it's purpose. Does it really? Yes it does. But then you turn around and defeat that purpose by adding a full body kit or full trunk stereo or the latest fad.......a bike rack. With a surfboard on it. Huh? Weight reduction doesn't count if you go to another part of the car and throw something on it; thus adding back the pounds you just took off. It reminds me of someone going to McDonald's and ordering a Big Mac and large fries. When asked what to drink, the customer replies with, "A medium Diet Coke. I'm trying to lose weight." The hail??

Stickers add 50HP. Especially the red ones. Yeah. Why would you fill your car up with stickers of products that are on your car? You want to support the company is your answer? Damn. Did you not support them enough with your check or debit card purchase of $400 for that exhaust? Or that carbon fiber hood? Or that bike rack? Now you're giving them free advertisement that they pay $100s of dollars for in magazines. And more people are more likely to see your sticker than the ad in the magazine.

Rice, to me, is NOT a state of mind. It is a contagious disease among sheep. Person A adds a Wings West body kit to their car and shows it to Persons B, C, D, E and F. Next week, they have also installed WW kits on their cars and show it to their friends. Now you have the whole alphabet sporting Wings West body kits. And carbon fiber door sills for weight loss. And a Wings West sticker for product support.

All in all, the term rice will probably never be specifically defined as it is solely based on the opinions of everyone involved. I think Bill Clinton said it best when he replied with:

"You know.....people will be analyzing that for years to come."

Until my next old timer's outburst, have a good evening.

There you go. Later, QD.

Sport1.3
02-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Rice = Anything that makes my car look better in comparison

dabuilding
02-21-2009, 08:45 AM
nice man i actually read the whole thing lol
but in the last line of the 1st paragraph u spelled definition wrong lol :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
02-21-2009, 08:48 AM
but in the last line of the 1st paragraph u spelled definition wrong lol :goodjob:

I don't see it. Later, QD.

dabuilding
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
nevermind i read it wrong carry on sir

quickdodgeŽ
02-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Ok, lolol. Later, QD.

browningboy7
02-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Well written and quite witty as always. Reps to you sir.

msanch24
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
i gotta say, i read your other posts with the countless jabs at completely innocent people and i kinda thought you were a tool, but after this well written demonstration of cool wit, i commend you.

quickdodgeŽ
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
i gotta say, i read your other posts with the countless jabs at completely innocent people and i kinda thought you were a tool, but after this well written demonstration of cool wit, i commend you.

You can think of me how you want. It doesn't bother me either way. My "jabs" are never unmerited. Later, QD.

MINI
02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
The ricy looks were a fad and JDM styling is a fad. Im sorry but its true.

But having a clean car is always in style.

Rice and JDM are like the color and buttons of a shirt but the "clean styling" itself is the shirt.

Anyone get what I'm saying?

boostedb16
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
to me if you drive any car that was originaly made in japan, your a ricer. i dont use the term "rice" to describe anyone's car. the term "ricer" came from people calling any japan based car a "rice burner". i am with QD on this one. if a car looks good, it looks good. if it's ugly then its just that. "rice" and "jdm" are terms used way to much.

ksniperfox
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM

were neons ever in style? ever?

takume
02-25-2009, 10:55 AM
wow, I can't believe that I read through the whole thread. I guess my job is really boring. But really a good write up. Nice, QD.

pt_tng
02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
QUOTE: It reminds me of someone going to McDonald's and ordering a Big Mac and large fries. When asked what to drink, the customer replies with, "A medium Diet Coke. I'm trying to lose weight." The hail??

LOL! and good breakdown on "the ricer"

Brian*
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
The truth.

PURP
02-26-2009, 08:19 AM
ATLDM 4 life... nice write up QD... and fuck JDM...

claybird
03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice write up!!

blackboi50
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
i guess QD speaks the troof :dunno:....1

Master Shake
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
The ricy looks were a fad and JDM styling is a fad. Im sorry but its true.

Rice and JDM are like the color and buttons of a shirt but the "clean styling" itself is the shirt.

Anyone get what I'm saying?your best bet is to create a new name. everything you say is just gonna get referred back to your neon'd-out mini, which reminds me. post a pic of your car with the neons glowin as a reference of "rice"

:lmfao:

lcortes32
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Nice i read all of it..props..!!

JuStCrUzIn
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
nice right up!

speedminded
03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Any one that refers to "JDM" as a style or fad is a complete idiot.

nice right up!lulz