PDA

View Full Version : The Police State is coming folks........

Vteckidd
02-20-2009, 03:32 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

Most transportation experts see a vehicle miles traveled tax as a long-term solution, but Congress is being urged to move in that direction now by funding pilot projects.

The idea also is gaining ground in several states. Governors in Idaho and Rhode Island are talking about such programs, and a North Carolina panel suggested in December the state start charging motorists a quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax.

A tentative plan in Massachusetts to use GPS chips in vehicles to charge motorists by the mile has drawn complaints from drivers who say it's an Orwellian intrusion by government into the lives of citizens. Other motorists say it eliminates an incentive to drive more fuel-efficient cars since gas guzzlers will be taxed at the same rate as fuel sippers.

Besides a VMT tax, more tolls for highways and bridges and more government partnerships with business to finance transportation projects are other funding options, LaHood, one of two Republicans in President Barack Obama's Cabinet, said in the interview Thursday.

"What I see this administration doing is this — thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America," he said.

LaHood said he firmly opposes raising the federal gasoline tax in the current recession.

The program that funds the federal share of highway projects is part of a surface transportation law that expires Sept. 30. Last fall, Congress made an emergency infusion of $8 billion to make up for a shortfall between gas tax revenues and the amount of money promised to states for their projects. The gap between money raised by the gas tax and the cost of maintaining the nation's highway system and expanding it to accommodate population growth is forecast to continue to widen.

Among the reasons for the gap is a switch to more fuel-efficient cars and a decrease in driving that many transportation experts believe is related to the economic downturn. Electric cars and alternative-fuel vehicles that don't use gasoline are expected to start penetrating the market in greater numbers.

"One of the things I think everyone agrees with around reauthorization of the highway bill is that the highway trust fund is an antiquated system for funding our highways," LaHood said. "It did work to build the interstate system and it was very effective, there's no question about that. But the big question now is, We're into the 21st century and how are we going to take care of our infrastructure needs ... with a highway trust fund that had to be plused up by $8 billion by Congress last year?"

A blue-ribbon national transportation commission is expected to release a report next week recommending a VMT.

The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative eventually would be needed.

Rob Atkinson, president of the National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission, the agency that is developing future transportation funding options, said moving to a national VMT would take about a decade.

Privacy concerns are based more on perception than any actual risk, Atkinson said. The satellite information would be beamed one way to the car and driving information would be contained within the device on the car, with the amount of the tax due the only information that's downloaded, he said.

The devices also could be programmed to charge higher rates to vehicles that are heavier, like trucks that put more stress on roadways, Atkinson said.

Sweet now we know where you drive, what you drive, how far you drive per day. We keeping tabs on you now sucka.

Jesus

.::UNKNOWN::.
02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
that royally sucks for my company i work for... we are already getting hit hard with gas prices for the company cars now they want to charge per mile wtf..... i drive a 1000 plus miles a week....

BanginJimmy
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
that royally sucks for my company i work for... we are already getting hit hard with gas prices for the company cars now they want to charge per mile wtf..... i drive a 1000 plus miles a week....

If you think that is bad, what do you think of commercial trucks? How much more money will it cost a company to ship their goods? When my dad was driving commercially he would average around 4k miles per week when he was busy. That would mean an extra 1K per week in taxes. It would kill the commercial driving industry and result in another 100k jobs lost almost overnight.

dorin48
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
If you think that is bad, what do you think of commercial trucks? How much more money will it cost a company to ship their goods? When my dad was driving commercially he would average around 4k miles per week when he was busy. That would mean an extra 1K per week in taxes. It would kill the commercial driving industry and result in another 100k jobs lost almost overnight.

It says one quarter cent. You did math for a quarter. It would only be 10 bucks. The big brother feeling is definitly there though.

RedEj8
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM

And will also raise prices on goods that us everyday consumers buy at the grocery store, walmart, etc.

IndianStig
02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
This is preposterous.

Vteckidd
02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Well, thank god, breaking news

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama will not adopt a policy to tax motorists based on how many miles they drive instead of how much gasoline they buy, his chief spokesman said Friday. Press secretary Robert Gibbs commented after Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told The Associated Press that he wants to consider the idea, which has been proposed in some states but has angered many drivers.

"It is not and will not be the policy of the Obama administration," Gibbs told reporters, when asked for the president's thoughts about the policy and LaHood's remarks.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood told the AP in an interview Thursday.

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said Thursday.

LaHood spokeswoman Lori Irving said Friday that the secretary was speaking of the idea only in general terms, not as something being implemented as administration policy.

Most transportation experts see a vehicle miles traveled tax as a long-term solution, but Congress is being urged to move in that direction now by funding pilot projects.

The idea also is gaining ground in several states. Governors in Idaho and Rhode Island are talking about such programs, and a North Carolina panel suggested in December the state start charging motorists a quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax.

A tentative plan in Massachusetts to use GPS chips in vehicles to charge motorists by the mile has drawn complaints from drivers who say it's an Orwellian intrusion by government into the lives of citizens. Other motorists say it eliminates an incentive to drive more fuel-efficient cars since gas guzzlers will be taxed at the same rate as fuel sippers.

Besides a VMT tax, more tolls for highways and bridges and more government partnerships with business to finance transportation projects are other funding options, LaHood, one of two Republicans in Obama's Cabinet, said in the interview Thursday.

"What I see this administration doing is this — thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America," he said.

LaHood said he firmly opposes raising the federal gasoline tax in the current recession.

The program that funds the federal share of highway projects is part of a surface transportation law that expires Sept. 30. Last fall, Congress made an emergency infusion of $8 billion to make up for a shortfall between gas tax revenues and the amount of money promised to states for their projects. The gap between money raised by the gas tax and the cost of maintaining the nation's highway system and expanding it to accommodate population growth is forecast to continue to widen.

Among the reasons for the gap is a switch to more fuel-efficient cars and a decrease in driving that many transportation experts believe is related to the economic downturn. Electric cars and alternative-fuel vehicles that don't use gasoline are expected to start penetrating the market in greater numbers.

A blue-ribbon national transportation commission is expected to release a report next week recommending a VMT.

The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative eventually would be needed.

Rob Atkinson, chairman of the National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission, the blue-ribbon group that is developing future transportation funding options, said moving to a national VMT would take about a decade.

Privacy concerns are based more on perception than any actual risk, Atkinson said. The satellite information would be beamed one way to the car and driving information would be contained within the device on the car, with the amount of the tax due the only information that's downloaded, he said.

BanginJimmy
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
It says one quarter cent. You did math for a quarter. It would only be 10 bucks. The big brother feeling is definitly there though.

you are right. I cant belive I did that.

RedEj8
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, thank god, breaking news

Now hopefully it will hold true for the duration of his term..

dorin48
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
you are right. I cant belive I did that.

Coming from you I know it was a honest mistake lol. You were probably to riled up at how insane this proposal was and it hindered your vision. :yes:

§treet_§peed
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Martial Law is coming.

BanginJimmy
02-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Martial Law is coming.

Martial law is still a long ways away. In the near future we will see the nationalization of the banking industry so the govt can make it far less efficient and run at a far larger loss than it currently is. We will also see nationalization of the medical industry so we can expect a new tax called something like medical donations.
I would agree that those 2 things would eventually lead to martial law because of the vast number of protests that will spring up.

§treet_§peed
02-23-2009, 01:03 AM
the protest will be in larger numbers than any of us will predict.

FlipKing
02-23-2009, 02:39 AM
If the shit hits the fan too hard, you can best believe I shall be headed north or south.lol Probably south, Drive all the way to fucking south america.lol

Jecht
02-23-2009, 06:34 AM
If the shit hits the fan too hard, you can best believe I shall be headed north or south.lol Probably south, Drive all the way to fucking south america.lol

Lol Europe or Japan for me.

btldzc
02-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Im going to move to Macon...

BanginJimmy
02-23-2009, 10:30 AM

I'll build a compound in Montana. Once you leave the 1st world it takes too much money in bribes to get settled.

preferredduck
02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
ill make a raft and head to some island out in the middle of nowhere. screw the mainlands they will find you, unless you go to where ever bin laden is, then your safe.

Elbow
02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
You all know some countries do this, and aren't police states right? lol...

Vteckidd
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
You all know some countries do this, and aren't police states right? lol...

The point of this is to say "give an inch, take a mile"

Things i have come to conclude
1) The Govt cant be trusted
2) The Govt is growing bigger by the year
3) The Govt has alot of control and is systematically stripping us of our freedoms
4) This is one more step towards a "Police state"

Elbow
02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Like I said, quit reading proposals, get deeper and many will really frighten you lol.

Thighs
02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
oh my god everyone on this forum is retarded. i dont personally agree with the mileage tax idea based on GPS data, but if they found a less big-brothery way to enforce it im fine with it. the price of gas would probably go down a very small amount, and the mileage tax and one QUARTER of a cent per mile is nothing. i drove nearly 20k miles last year, and i did the calculations. the tax on my mileage was a whopping 60 DOLLARS. thats not expensive or worth bitching about for any reason. they have to do something to fund road and highway development because fuel efficient cars and non-gasoline cars are starting to become a realistic alternative for some people.

and martial law... dont even get me started on this bullshit. MARTIAL FUCKING LAW? REALLY?!?! did nobody else notice that those 2 videos circling the internets were complete bullshit right about the time they started spewing bs about god and satan...? LOL @ ANY MORON WHO ACTUALLY BELIEVES THAT CROCK OF FUCKING BULLSHIT!

BanginJimmy
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
oh my god everyone on this forum is retarded. i dont personally agree with the mileage tax idea based on GPS data, but if they found a less big-brothery way to enforce it im fine with it. the price of gas would probably go down a very small amount, and the mileage tax and one QUARTER of a cent per mile is nothing. i drove nearly 20k miles last year, and i did the calculations. the tax on my mileage was a whopping 60 DOLLARS. thats not expensive or worth bitching about for any reason. they have to do something to fund road and highway development because fuel efficient cars and non-gasoline cars are starting to become a realistic alternative for some people.

Remind me if I am wrong, but I dont remember ever seeing this as a replacement for the taxes on gas, it was going to be added to it. Maine has one of the most expensive gas taxes and are already collecting 53 cents a gallon on gas, they would lose HUGE amounts of money on this tax. More than likely if this was to pass it would be in addition to the taxes already paid.

Thighs
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
even then, its not like its a shit ton of money. if theyre collecting 53 cents a gallon, thats like charging .027 cents per mile assuming the average car driven there gets 20mpg. im sure that they would at least lower the gas tax and increase the rate of the mileage tax to even things out. they never said whether it would replace the gas tax or just be tacked on.

BanginJimmy
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
they never said whether it would replace the gas tax or just be tacked on.

This means they plan to add onto it.

Maryland govt is also looking to increase their gas taxes another 19 cents to make it a 72cent tax per gallon, or about half the price.

Frög
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Holy jesus..

The sun has set on this wonderful country..

SL65AMG
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Holy jesus..

The sun has set on this wonderful country..

explain...