PDA

View Full Version : Question About Traffic Lights

Frög
02-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Simple question..

You are stuck at a RED light. What do you do? Do you flash your lights to make it turn GREEN?

If you know the answer, don't ruin this thread.. JUST VOTE!

qwick
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I wait until it turns green.

I find it funny when someone creeps forward at the red light, like the closer they get to the light the sooner it will change.

MrBoostedCRX
02-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Simple question..

You are stuck at a RED light. What do you do? Do you flash your lights to make it turn GREEN?

dude i do it, some times it works, but it could just be that i do it when its about to change

I wait until it turns green.

I find it funny when someone creeps forward at the red light, like the closer they get to the light the sooner it will change.

i do that all the time! some teacher said the pavement has weight sensors to check if a car is waiting...i dont know though...someone google it

Ed
02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
most lights have sensors under the pavement.

Frög
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Poll is up! VOTE!

Frög
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM

shhhhhhhhh!!!! let people vote first!

qwick
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
i do that all the time! some teacher said the pavement has weight sensors to check if a car is waiting...i dont know though...someone google it

I know what your talking about, but I was refering to the fokes that almost seem to creep into the intersections while waiting for it to change.

MrBoostedCRX
02-19-2009, 09:10 PM
oh i got you...

HeLLo iM iZzY
02-19-2009, 09:11 PM

americanctm
02-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't flash my lights... never heard that actually worked. I pull up on the white line where the weight sensor would be and wait for the light to turn green. Some people wait like 2 car lengths behind the white line (where the sensor is) and it pisses me off.

hondachik
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
I pull up to the line & flash my lights. Either way one has to work dammit.

C-loS109
02-19-2009, 10:10 PM
lol at this thread....

i had never heard about the flashing lights...it makes me laugh.

2003Accord
02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
I've tried it. seems like sometimes it works and other times it doesnt.

Jason..
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I beep my horn.

Frög
02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I beep my horn.

:lmfao:

cornercarver78
02-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I knew that it was a magnetic sensor, but that technical explanation was cool to read. I don't know much about electricity. There are devices in the market to trip those things that you can put on a low signature vehicle like a motorcycle.

dabuilding
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
there are some that are also timed but the ones with the 2 rectangled cuts in the road in front of the stop line are the sensored ones

bigdare23
02-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I run it...

man
02-20-2009, 12:51 AM
I run it...

Same, IM LIKE A BULL BABY RED MEANS CHARGE THROUGH THAT SHIT lol

87 Turbo II
02-20-2009, 01:04 AM
It's not a weight sensor, it's a magnetic sensor, this is why a motor scooter can trigger it but a cheerleading squad jumping up and down wouldn't. There are coils under the pavement (look next time, the sensor is shaped like this:

^
||
V

And when the metal body of the vehicle drives over the coil, the natural magnetism of the earth causes a slight current to flow through the coil, which is registered by the light. Creeping forward at a light sometimes CAN help to re-register a current if the light is failing to change when it normally should. There are definitely NO light sensors. Some have no sensors at all and are strictly timing based. Some light6s even have sensors several feet back, or even multiples of ten car lengths back to detect traffic buildups.

Frög
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
It's not a weight sensor, it's a magnetic sensor, this is why a motor scooter can trigger it but a cheerleading squad jumping up and down wouldn't. There are coils under the pavement (look next time, the sensor is shaped like this:

^
||
V

And when the metal body of the vehicle drives over the coil, the natural magnetism of the earth causes a slight current to flow through the coil, which is registered by the light. Creeping forward at a light sometimes CAN help to re-register a current if the light is failing to change when it normally should. There are definitely NO light sensors. Some have no sensors at all and are strictly timing based. Some light6s even have sensors several feet back, or even multiples of ten car lengths back to detect traffic buildups.

Did you not read the last line of the OP...

GOD DAMN IT!

dimer4life
02-20-2009, 01:41 AM
I've heard flashing your lights is illegal even though it seems to work most of the time I do it, must be the change of current in the car that the coils underneath the pavement pick up.

redrumracer
02-20-2009, 01:44 AM
i let the car roll backwards and then move it forwards.

Frög
02-20-2009, 02:02 AM
I've heard flashing your lights is illegal even though it seems to work most of the time I do it, must be the change of current in the car that the coils underneath the pavement pick up.

Face + Palm..

Try it!

87 Turbo II
02-20-2009, 02:13 AM

GOD DAMN IT!
Sorry to ruin your little experiment, I read it but I just kind of.. didn't care. I hate dumb people, so I prevent it by educating. Also, I figured your first post made it obvious that it was dumb.

seanrg1116
02-20-2009, 07:23 AM

GOD DAMN IT!

he is only partially right but that depends on where you are because i used to install these so I know the answer................but I will only let the secret out if somebody says please

blackboi50
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
the fuck is this shit!!!????? :thinking:.....1

oneSLOWex
02-20-2009, 03:23 PM

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

for serious??

tdurr
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
shit *****. This is crazy!

AnthonyF
02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
I have flashed my lights, but it does not work. I typically roll forward and back.

-Ant.

Brett
02-20-2009, 04:08 PM
I yell at it, that seems to make it work to

toxxxic
02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
....... what is a traffic light?

Doppelgänger
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Some cities/intersections have i.r. sensors to detect oncoming emergency vehicles (that have i.r. transponders) to help traffic flow for said emergency vehicles. There was a news article I read where someone attained one of these i.r. transponders for their personal vehicle and proceeded to funk traffic up during rush hour because it was throwing the timing of the lights off. Not all intersections use this technology though. Also, there are measurements in place to keep most of the public from being able to do this by means of different/dual frequency i.r. units.

And as others have said, other lights are either on a strict timer, a magnetic sensor or a combination of both.

Max_nino
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
have yall ever notice the rectangle things are right on the cross walk. I guess people stop right on it and it never triggers the light .

ztastic
02-21-2009, 02:09 PM
its after 11 pm u can flash ur lights

tron
02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I yell at it, that seems to make it work to

idk why but this initiated many lolz

Atlblkz06
02-21-2009, 07:19 PM
If you think it works - where is the photo sensor?

Lights work on either timing (ugh) or based on a combination of heirarchy and traffic based on pre-set timers and sensor information. You can clearly tell where the sensors are - you'll see rectangular cuts and boxes on the road. The sensors work by detecting a change in inductance in the area above the sensor.

Motorcycles usually have a hard time "tripping" the sensor and often break the law because they're left with no choice lol.

Frög
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
LOL @ the people who voted yes!

isa2o3
02-24-2009, 10:37 AM
it only works on some lights. mostly on the ones that are not time based.

mad3nch1na
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I say "3...2...1... GO!" and it works 99% of the time

Brian*
02-24-2009, 06:58 PM

x2...

SicStang03
02-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I flash my lights because there are sensors that catch it and turn the light green faster.. DUH

Kinda like when I see your sister. I lick my lips and her clothes come off

Frög
02-26-2009, 02:09 AM
I flash my lights because there are sensors that catch it and turn the light green faster.. DUH

Kinda like when I see your sister. I lick my lips and her clothes come off

HAHAHAH You know damn right how funny this is!! I am sure you are looking back and realizing the awesome time we had arguing! :lmfao:

Good memories! srly!

SicStang03
02-26-2009, 02:19 AM
HAHAHAH You know damn right how funny this is!! I am sure you are looking back and realizing the awesome time we had arguing! :lmfao:

Good memories! srly!

:ninja:

but for real.. LOL, today Veronica had the best blonde moment :lmfao:... I don'teven want to share the story because I'm embarrassed for her

Frög
02-26-2009, 02:23 AM
:ninja:

but for real.. LOL, today Veronica had the best blonde moment :lmfao:... I don'teven want to share the story because I'm embarrassed for her

Now you have to! DO IT!

SicStang03
02-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Now you have to! DO IT!

I was proving a point about something... can't remember what it was. But I asked her if she remembered 1st grade when the teachers would be like, "what weighs more, 100lbs or bricks or 100lbs of feathers"... And Veronica was like what about it, bricks duh :lmfao:

I asked the question again and told her to think about it and she still didn't get it

Humphrizzle
02-26-2009, 02:40 AM

^
||
V

it's a kenetic energy sensor..

get a small electromagnet, attach to front bumper support or radiator support.. it will be like a 18 wheeler sitting there instead of your civic

MINI
02-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I beep my horn.

lol

Brian*
02-26-2009, 08:19 AM
it's a kenetic energy sensor..

get a small electromagnet, attach to front bumper support or radiator support.. it will be like a 18 wheeler sitting there instead of your civic

Damn... i don't have a civic :( lol

Frög
02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
I was proving a point about something... can't remember what it was. But I asked her if she remembered 1st grade when the teachers would be like, "what weighs more, 100lbs or bricks or 100lbs of feathers"... And Veronica was like what about it, bricks duh :lmfao:

I asked the question again and told her to think about it and she still didn't get it

:lmfao: why am I not surprised?

Jecht
02-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Some cities/intersections have i.r. sensors to detect oncoming emergency vehicles (that have i.r. transponders) to help traffic flow for said emergency vehicles. There was a news article I read where someone attained one of these i.r. transponders for their personal vehicle and proceeded to funk traffic up during rush hour because it was throwing the timing of the lights off. Not all intersections use this technology though. Also, there are measurements in place to keep most of the public from being able to do this by means of different/dual frequency i.r. units.

And as others have said, other lights are either on a strict timer, a magnetic sensor or a combination of both.

x2.

Its pointless trying all these tricks to possibly get the light to change faster. Just be patient and wait for it to change like everyone else.

§treet_§peed
02-27-2009, 11:54 PM
In hall county, they will take you to jail for running a yellow light when they can't find anything else to charge you with.

browningboy7
02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
It's cuz you ride a knee-grow bike.

§treet_§peed
02-28-2009, 01:07 AM
lol i was driving a civic at the time. primed black. just had a 99-00 si conversion, and a exhaust not loud tho mostly low rumble type. cause i was white riding thru little mexico.

J-ROCK
02-28-2009, 03:08 PM
i hate the magnetic ones when im driving my truck cause it doesnt register for some reason guess cause of the lift on it!

ranger250x
02-28-2009, 10:16 PM
i used to get stuck at lights in charlotte late at night on my scooter. i ran most of them.

blaknoize
03-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Question is... what is that light DOES have a sensor but it takes 3 cycles before the sensor counts ur ONE vehicle as important enough to change the main traffic light?

THAT SHIT IS ANNOYING