PDA

View Full Version : ok modem and router question

KREEP
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I play Socom confrontation and sometimes my shit is a little slow...well I heard that you can open up your ports to make your connection faster...is this true? I don't know if it is stealing or not that why I am asking...but someone told me to open up all the ports on my modem or router :thinking:

gtrmonkey
02-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes it can but the game has to be set to that port. Personally I would plug direct into the router b/c the ps3 has gigabit connection

03RCode
02-18-2009, 03:05 AM
I have all my ports for the game open and its still no faster. Socom's server just sucks.

Jecht
02-18-2009, 06:52 AM
You can always try. Find your router's manual, there should be a section on port forwarding. You just need to know which ports to forward to your PS3.

4dmin
02-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Dont open up all your ports if this router is connected to another computer for internet access also. This is a hackers delight. Thats what is always said. I mean why would a hacker want to hack someones house network? They would rather hit up a business or something worth hacking. But you can specifically open up a port and make sure your PS3 is pointing to that port, but it wont speed up anything.

Paul
02-18-2009, 09:35 AM
something you should consider is blocking off other traffic on your router if you have some... for instance: wifi connections, wired connections, gaming consoles (ps3, xbox), etc

branching off your connections block any other interference... see image \/

green91
02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
The easiest way is to put your primary computer in the DMZ, but if your router supports upnp its already likely opened the ports for itself.

KREEP
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I have a main providers router connected to a linksys wireless router and my ps3 is hard wired to the wireless router and we run our laptops off of the linksys wireless router.

Paul
02-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a main providers router connected to a linksys wireless router and my ps3 is hard wired to the wireless router and we run our laptops off of the linksys wireless router.

so you have A) ISP router/modem and B) linksys router?

in that case plug the computer you are using for gaming hardwired into the ISP router and run ps3 + other wireless off the linksys.

you are not trying to play over wireless connection are you?

DynamicSound
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I play Socom confrontation and sometimes my shit is a little slow...well I heard that you can open up your ports to make your connection faster...is this true? I don't know if it is stealing or not that why I am asking...but someone told me to open up all the ports on my modem or router :thinking:

Like they said on the other posts, you will want the PS3 wired direct to your modem for the fastest connection. The any laptops or wireless devices can run from the wireless router.

Opening the ports is a no-no.

Also could depend on your cable/dsl service. If you have cable internet, your speed is determined on how many people around you are using it. You may be paying for a 12/6/3 Mb/s connection but getting a lot less at times. With DSL you are getting a constant or more dedicated speed. Another thought is to bump up the internet speed that you have.

Paul
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Like they said on the other posts, you will want the PS3 wired direct to your modem for the fastest connection. The any laptops or wireless devices can run from the wireless router.

Opening the ports is a no-no.

Also could depend on your cable/dsl service. If you have cable internet, your speed is determined on how many people around you are using it. You may be paying for a 12/6/3 Mb/s connection but getting a lot less at times. With DSL you are getting a constant or more dedicated speed. Another thought is to bump up the internet speed that you have.

this isn't all true, all wireless devices need to be segregated and some ports should be forwarded to static IP's.