PDA

View Full Version : Core 2 Duo / Quad Core CPU's is it really necessary?

AtifSajid
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Please explain.

i dont think all that power is necessary at all for your desktop applications.

Vteckidd
02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
for normal every day stuff, no, for gaming, possibly.

I have a dual core, and its a little slow sometimes cause i have 6 harddrives so it will lag trying to access back and forth cause ill be playing music off one and using the others for media or something.

the quad core is prob more for graphics intense stuff, like HDMI Gaming (crysis comes to mind) and stuff.

I play 1080P blurays on my computer with no problem with a ATI HDMI Video card that cost like $100

EJ25RUN
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes it is necessary.

Why? DX10 and better.

If you are a gamer or you multitask, you need that hp.

Most of the new games require it as well.

AtifSajid
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I just built out my graphic designer a core 2 duo 2.8ghz with 4 gbs of ram and a real nice video card.

he said that was plenty for what he does, and he does a lot because i bring him the business.

Im just the type that more ram makes for a smoother running computer.(just keep the spyware off)

Vteckidd
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
i got 2 gigs of ram right now i need to go to 4 here soon

gtrmonkey
02-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Personally Quad not even worth it unless it an I7 .Just because something is 2.2ghz Duo core, Does not mean it equal to a 4.4ghz single core. The main purpose of a mutlicore is to use for mutli apps at the same time. Since apps are getting design for mutli core and I would not go with anthing less than a duo core. Quad Core are nice but the different is very little, because programs are not design to max them out yet. I7 has a bunch of nice features which can be used now and forever such as hyperthreading.

Now gaming Dx10 and better can be solved with a physic card.

Paul
02-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Quad core isn't worth it b/c most software can't even take advantage of it - I haven't seen any newer benchmarks but once quadcores were launched they got destroyed by dualcore. The hardware market has gotten ridiculous single core, 2x, 3x, 4x, dual 4x, etc... there is a point that unless you are doing video rendering or sound production there isn't any need for such power it is just overkill.

gtrmonkey
02-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Look at the I7 Core by intel, THose thinks rock. They have most of the benfits of a single core and duo core. So your getting the best of both worlds.

RandomGuy
02-18-2009, 10:56 AM
yeah tif... for office apps you won't really see the difference, but when you get into more intensive apps, like games, video editting, 3d rendering, shit like that you can see the difference when it'll shine through. Also the quads are more future proof... obviously

But yeah the core i7 920, which is like $230 bux, is INSANE.... individual quad cores, runs 2 threads per core, 8 total, automatic overclock called "turbo boost" supports tri channel ddr3, shits just retarded fast

Mik2006
02-18-2009, 12:39 PM
to put it easy, if ur a gamer then u would get dual core. if for work you really dont even need more then a celeron.

YoTa_BoX
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
to put it easy, if ur a gamer then u would get dual core. if for work you really dont even need more then a celeron.

Oh for the love of god dont tell any one to ever get a celeron @_@

they have to be the shittiest processors i have ever seen. spend the little bit extra money and get the better processor.

ironchef
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
The price difference between dual and quad cores have gone down, it almost doesnt make sense to buy a dual core anymore.

redpanda
02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh for the love of god dont tell any one to ever get a celeron @_@

they have to be the shittiest processors i have ever seen. spend the little bit extra money and get the better processor.

qft.

dorin48
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
So many variable go into making hardware decisions that you have to be fluent in your usage to pick hardware correctly. Really dual cores are only needed for gaming because games are being designed to take advantage of them. That said, for a processor all gamers still need good L2 or L3 caches regardless of the game's design. Thats a simple function that hasnt changed. I still have one single core tower and a dual core tower at home. I call both gaming towers but if I do anything for work I'm using the dual core because of the partioning of the work load.

pimpstaman90
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
yeah tif... for office apps you won't really see the difference, but when you get into more intensive apps, like games, video editting, 3d rendering, shit like that you can see the difference when it'll shine through. Also the quads are more future proof... obviously

But yeah the core i7 920, which is like $230 bux, is INSANE.... individual quad cores, runs 2 threads per core, 8 total, automatic overclock called "turbo boost" supports tri channel ddr3, shits just retarded fast

I still cant believe you work at MicroCenter... lol But yeah My I7 is the shit... Its cheaper then my older system which had a Q9550, the cache is insane tho... 12MB...

gtrmonkey
02-19-2009, 12:03 AM
I7 920 is a bang for the buck man. Hand down I would not even think about touching a regular quad core.

guinness
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Look at the I7 Core by intel, THose thinks rock. They have most of the benfits of a single core and duo core. So your getting the best of both worlds.

intel does make good quality chips and chipsets,but AMD makes them just as good and they cost a fraction of the price.here is the computer i just built formy wife to mess around on and do whatever she wants to.the total cost of the machine was WAY under what you would pay for a store bought computer...and it even rivals a Mac.as much as i hate to say that,but it does,lol!!!!

Case
Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP steel ATX Full Tower($169)

MotherBoard
MSI K982 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX($145;i bought two)

Power Supply
FSP Group Everest 1010 1000W ATX 12V V2.2($270)

Processor/CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Socet AM2+ Black Edition($230;i bought two)

Memory/RAM
OCZ Platinum Edition 8GB(4x2GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit($112;i bought two kits)

Video Card
VisionTek Radeon HD 3870 PCI-Express($100;i bought 4 of them)

FireWire Card
SYBA PCI-Express 1394a 4 Port Controller($32;i bought two)

USB Card
Koutech PCI To USB 2.0 Card($20;i bought two)

Hard Drives
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA 30Gb/s($130;i bought five)

CD/DVD Drive/Burners
Pioneer 20x DVD+/-R($25;i bought two)
Pioner Black 8x Blue-Ray DVD Burner($240)

5.25" Drive
AFT Pro-28U 28-In-1 USB Card Reader($33)

total cost of computer was under $3000,and it is even liquid cooled!!!you cant even buy an alienware computer for that,and this thing will run circles around it.dual core is out of date,but still being used.quad core is the current standard,but AMD and Intel are getting ready to release the nano-series with 6 cores standard on them!!!

sleepys4
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I would say Quad cores are a necessity for anyone looking into to do any kind of video rendering. I work with a lot with AVCHD, Mt2 files and they are massive. It would shut down my 2.2 dual core processor. I got a 2.66 quad from Intel it worked a million times better. Since then I got a I7 920 and would recommend one to any and everybody. Hope this helps.

gtrmonkey
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
That a sweet setup for the wife.

guinness
02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
That a sweet setup for the wife.

lol.i wanted her to have something that would do any and everything that she wanted and would ever need,without having to spend what i did on my mac.between that and the mac pro i got her for christmas,she is pretty much covered....in my opinion,lol. :goodjob:

96Plumls
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
the amd 940 be is the best bang for the buck over the I7

guinness
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
the amd 940 be is the best bang for the buck over the I7

i couldn't agree more.for only .2GHz more of process,you will pay over $1k for an i7.so...why not save that money,learn more about computers the possibility(s) of overclocking,and go from there.keep one thing in mind when dealing with computers,there are always ways to get more out of any part of a computer than what they are telling you is possible.for instance,the system i just built runs at 3.8GHz on n/a,but after i liquid-cooled the whole system,i am eaasily running at 4.2-4.3GHz at 18C!!!

96Plumls
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
and also the new 940 be has an unlocked multiplier which you pay alot more for on other processors