PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever think the import scene is ending?

silversol
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I know i will probably get flamed for this. And I thought this way before the economy started to tank. but do you guys honestly think the import scene is comeing to a end? I got in to imports working at a local body shop in high school around 2000 back when the body kits and shows were still the big thing!
Yes i know most you you guys dont like kits as much as i hated instaling them but that is not the point i am getting at, its the attude that they had, they all seamed to have a positive attatude and did not mind spending the money for quality work and the guys that used them for dailys always came the get the front bumpers re sprayed before big shows. and did not mind spending a little cash to do so. and yes a lot of those guys were around 17+ in age.
But now looking throught the car pics section i feel like some of the guys in the scene now are kinda responsable for the import scene demise. with all the threads like "OMG" i primered my 240/civic i am so jdm now! and LOOK I SPRAY PAINTED MY STEELIES SOME OFF THE WALL COLOR IAM A JDM GOD! OR MY DE RICE THREAd and have done noting put flat black the car and spray painted the wheels lime green or some other crazy jdm color. back in the day there were sponsored rides and big money shows other that the one nopi show. but i feel alot of the big huge sponsors feel like there is no money to be made and that the import thing is comeing to a end! does any one else feel the same way?

Sledlude
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
...not ending just evolving. think of it that way. times change and so does whats hot. if you dont like whats going on now, you can always keep it old school. u might get hated on but do what u like!

silversol
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
...not ending just evolving. think of it that way. times change and so does whats hot. if you dont like whats going on now, you can always keep it old school. u might get hated on but do what u like!

evolving can be a good and a bad thing. i never liked body kits but back in the day it just seamed like people in the scene had a better attitude.

Vteckidd
02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
new generation of people doing stuff. Parts have gotten cheaper , competition is everywhere, it's a consumers market.

OWN3R
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
yeah thats why that new f&f movie needs to come out

OneSlow5pt0
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
it will never end,just like the domestic scene will never end..

bandydesign
02-17-2009, 02:46 PM
^ exactly and it will pick up again in 10-15 years. When all the people who wanted that skyline, silvia, or even a tricked out Lexus end up with some money, they will want the cars of their automotive childhood.

Its not ending in any sense. What? Do you think that the euro and domestic markets are picking up???? lol. It may be changing from dominant Japanese to dominant Korean or something along similar lines, but the asian automotive presence is not dropping... unfortunately.

Sam C.
02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Everything is cyclical, before too long you will see pastel paint again. As long as cars exist a car scene will exist, large or small.

civic95
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
There is still money to be made. It's just that people want quality parts. Not cheap APC lights, or body kits that make the car look like a transformer. I think people are more interested in peformance, not cheap looks. So turbo kits, ecu reflashes, headers with dyno results, etc.. are still being sold everyday.

I was into all that stuff too back in 2000-2002, and I laugh at myself now. I saw a lot of people waste a lof of money to impress judges that had different tastes than they did, all for a plastic trophy.

IOnlyLookStock
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think it is ending rather than just not the rage anymore. People just aren't crazy about imports anymore. I'm sure there will be a new wave after that new f&f comes out, like honestly. And hell even if it does, you always have the mustang Travis! Lol.

Brett
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I was into all that stuff too back in 2000-2002, and I laugh at myself now. I saw a lot of people waste a lof of money to impress judges that had different tastes than they did, all for a plastic trophy.

yeah I look back now at the money I dumped into the civic when I had it and thought back then for the 7 years I showed how great it was to take home award after award, Now I look back and realize all that money to customize the car, to pay entry fees just to sit and park there car all day and for a peice of plastic... Guess we realize whats impirtant and that isnt it anymore. :goodjob:

Brett
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I know i will probably get flamed for this.
Yes i know most you you guys dont like kits as much as i hated instaling them but that is not the point i am getting at, its the attude that they had, they all seamed to have a positive attatude
But now looking throught the car pics section i feel like some of the guys in the scene now are kinda responsable for the import scene demise. with all

You will get flamed for the fact you cant spell simple words...LOL

**Please see words in BOLD

SEAMED??? C'mon...LOL
responsable???
attatude???
instaling???
throught?? I assume you mean THROUGH?
comeing

I just feel spelling is coming to an end, thats all I am worried about :lmfao:

:lmfao:

ash7
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Jonathan wrote up a very good editorial about this in last years Import Alliance issue.

And Vteckidd is right, the lowest bidder usually wins in a consumers market.
-jonathan

15degvee
02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
It's gone a different direction. It's become a "less is more" scene from what I've seen...Just like the auto manufacturers are coming out with cars to idolize the old school, more old school cars are surfacing in the scene. More 510s, rabbits, starlets, and of course the corollas, etc are becoming popular. Body kits are being replaced with simple lip kits and 747 jumbo jet wings are being replaced by a lip spoiler. Like Marcus and a few other people stated, we're all getting older, looking back wondering wtf we were thinking...

But the new FF will bring in a new wave of kids with fresh licenses and parents' money, and the cycle will start all over. Just watch.

EJ25RUN
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
As long as import cars are being sold in the us, there will always be an import scene.

J-ROCK
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
i was also thinking this the other day! it may be slowing down and changing a bit but the love is still there!

J-ROCK
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
i was also thinking this the other day! it may be slowing down and changing a bit but the love is still there!

Catnip
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
yeah I look back now at the money I dumped into the civic when I had it and thought back then for the 7 years I showed how great it was to take home award after award, Now I look back and realize all that money to customize the car, to pay entry fees just to sit and park there car all day and for a peice of plastic... Guess we realize whats impirtant and that isnt it anymore. :goodjob:

You will get flamed for the fact you cant spell simple words...LOL

**Please see words in BOLD

SEAMED??? C'mon...LOL
responsable???
attatude???
instaling???
throught?? I assume you mean THROUGH?
comeing

I just feel spelling is coming to an end, thats all I am worried about :lmfao:

:lmfao:

;)

NewGen33
02-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I see the original people that were into imports are growing up, making money, or just loosing interest. A lot of people once into the hondas and such cars can now move up to the European and other exotic cars as they become more successful. It's just a movement in a new direction but it will never end.

slostang
02-18-2009, 01:57 AM
it'll never die, but it is constantly evolving.

SicStang03
02-18-2009, 02:00 AM
import scene has been dead!! RICERS!!

black_e92
02-18-2009, 02:03 AM
it'll never die, but it is constantly evolving.

x2

Julio
02-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Evolving to what ?

I keep reading that word....

building cleaner/fast cars been going for years now, since before our times.

I think we have more idiots now then 5-10 years ago.

we have more ricers then back then.... dumber ricers.

J-ROCK
02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Evolving to what ?

I keep reading that word....

building cleaner/fast cars been going for years now, since before our times.

I think we have more idiots now then 5-10 years ago.

we have more ricers then back then.... dumber ricers.

lol they will never learn