PDA

View Full Version : Misc Ken Griffey Jr a brave?

FlipKing
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Thoughts? Personally, I dont want another 40 year old has been. If they were gonna not worry about age, smoltz should have been kept. He has more to offer IMHO.

JITB
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
i hope so... Griffey is my fav. Mlb player... he deserves a good team tho...

Julio
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
lol Griffey a has been.. He still pretty good and brings experience to the table.. Smoltz brings NADA.

HyPer50
02-16-2009, 09:15 PM
I think it's a great idea. Fits our needs perfectly. We can have Griffey play against the right handed pitchers, and Matt Diaz against the left. Plus we don't need a long term solution. We have very good prospects on there way up for the outfield with Jordan Schafer and Jason Hayward... Plus not sure what your talking about "has been" he still is pretty friggin' good. He may not be able to hit it like he used to, but he's still a pretty reliable hitter (much more than we can say about our other solutions for outfield) and can still field with the best of them... Plus whatever mentoring he can provide to our young players is invaluable. So anyways.... Hope they get him signed.

eYezs1ck
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
its w/e i dont care just wish them the best luck this season and not choke in playoffs

phoenixx1
02-16-2009, 10:30 PM
griffey is a legend in my mind

Spectic Tank
02-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I think it's a great idea. Fits our needs perfectly. We can have Griffey play against the right handed pitchers, and Matt Diaz against the left. Plus we don't need a long term solution. We have very good prospects on there way up for the outfield with Jordan Schafer and Jason Hayward... Plus not sure what your talking about "has been" he still is pretty friggin' good. He may not be able to hit it like he used to, but he's still a pretty reliable hitter (much more than we can say about our other solutions for outfield) and can still field with the best of them... Plus whatever mentoring he can provide to our young players is invaluable. So anyways.... Hope they get him signed.

+1 on everything.

The Braves didn't let Smoltz go to Boston because he was too old, it was because he wanted too much money. I think this is a good fit for the Braves. Abreu and Dunn both have teams correct? and Nick Swisher would cost a lot of money if the Yanks aren't willing to pay part of his contract(which they're not). Plus, Griffey has one of the best swings in major league baseball...

Spectic Tank
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Thoughts? Personally, I dont want another 40 year old has been. If they were gonna not worry about age, smoltz should have been kept. He has more to offer IMHO.

Smoltz is coming off a surgery and doesn't know when he'll be able to pitch, how does he have more to offer?

Vteckidd
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Griffey is like Allen Iverson to me, great individual talent, never made his team better.

Mr. Attitude isnt high up in my book

FlipKing
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Personally, A. I still think Smoltz is still good for 200 innings and a sub 4.00 ERA. I think the braves OWED him the last contract out of respect. Smoltz took discounts on his last conract to stay with the braves.

B. A rebuilding team should NOT be siging these old players IMO.Smoltz out of repsect, but Lowe? Jr? No, we will NOT win now. Our team isnt good enough. we are a few years away.

HyPer50
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Personally, A. I still think Smoltz is still good for 200 innings and a sub 4.00 ERA. I think the braves OWED him the last contract out of respect. Smoltz took discounts on his last conract to stay with the braves.

B. A rebuilding team should NOT be siging these old players IMO.Smoltz out of repsect, but Lowe? Jr? No, we will NOT win now. Our team isnt good enough. we are a few years away.

I was upset at both sides of the Smoltz situation. But looking at it rationally, Frank Wren did the right thing. We can't over spend on him. If you look at the contract that was offered though, the Atlanta one would have paid him about the same amount IF he was to play... He took the Boston one for 2 reasons, better team, and no contract stipulations.. If he wasn't going to be healthy (which was the only requirement of the Atlanta contract) then we don't need to waste our small budget on him. We had other needs that needed to be met and we have noway of competing with Boston and New York in bidding wars.

HyPer50
02-17-2009, 02:21 PM

We are building for a decent today, but a much better tomorrow. Which is why we didn't get Jake Peavy (we wouldn't trade Tommy Hanson, our future ace) and we didn't trade for some other possibly higher production outfielder... We have the people in place, they just need a bit more time to develop. We got Griffey for a bargain and we had to trade NOTHING for him.. Win win.

Verik
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
man... he followed me here from seattle lol. I grew up watching him play w/ season tickets and although I'm sure it won't be the same jr. we saw break his wrist on the center field wall in the kingdome, but it will be nice to see him play again locally.

FlipKing
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm wondering about that other padres pitcher....umm ben sheets or whoever who hasnt been signed yet. he is younger, with some health risks, but younger....

Spectic Tank
02-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm wondering about that other padres pitcher....umm ben sheets or whoever who hasnt been signed yet. he is younger, with some health risks, but younger....

We can barely sign Glavine, how do you think the Braves would be able to pull that out?

FlipKing
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Well, he hasnt signed yet and I think he'd be a bargain if we could trade away a current player. But all depends on his health.

koi
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Ben Sheets had surgery on his elbow some time last week.

Julio
02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Smoltz will do great in .....

Retirement.

NAMNORI
02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes to have smoltz for his last year would have been awesome but jr might help out with the younger guys, i dont recall hearing any bad things about his attitude. all i have ever heard are good things about him cant wait to see him in live at a game.

DinanM3atl
02-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Why don't we actually build a team...

roflmao

DarwinsA32
02-18-2009, 12:25 AM
I think Frank Wren should hang from his neck till he dies.

Getting Rid of Texeira was stupid, signing glavine.... whatever, another 80 mph pitcher who's too old. I don't care for griffey, he's done for, too old. I can't stand the braves owners, so stupid.

HyPer50
02-18-2009, 06:30 AM
I think Frank Wren should hang from his neck till he dies.

Getting Rid of Texeira was stupid, signing glavine.... whatever, another 80 mph pitcher who's too old. I don't care for griffey, he's done for, too old. I can't stand the braves owners, so stupid.

Are you stupid? Are they just going to pull 180 million out of there ass? Like I said earlier, it is IMPOSSIBLE, for the Braves to compete with the Yankee's and Red Sox in bidding wars. That is why I hate baseball and believe it needs a salary cap... To stop the Yankee's from buying up all the talent.

HeLLo iM iZzY
02-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Yeah Darwin !

Spectic Tank
02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Are you stupid? Are they just going to pull 180 million out of there ass? Like I said earlier, it is IMPOSSIBLE, for the Braves to compete with the Yankee's and Red Sox in bidding wars. That is why I hate baseball and believe it needs a salary cap... To stop the Yankee's from buying up all the talent.

The Braves have something the Yanks and Bosox will never have...a farm system...

The Braves don't need to tie-up a ton of money into a guy like Texeria(who only plays like an all-star for half the year) because we have young talent to take their place.

DinanM3atl
02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Yah. We move them up through the f.arm system and then trade them away.

Spectic Tank
02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Yah. We move them up through the f.arm system and then trade them away.

So what about Chipper, Franceour, McCann, Escobar? Did those guys get traded?

DinanM3atl
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
So what about Chipper, Franceour, McCann, Escobar? Did those guys get traded?

Not yet.

Chipper won't though.

Franceour will be in the coming seasons. Escobar is still very fresh to MLB. He will probably get traded as well.

We used to spend money and make playoffs. Now we are the team that dumps the star player at the trad deadline to help another team drive to the post season.

Spectic Tank
02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Not yet.

Chipper won't though.

Franceour will be in the coming seasons. Escobar is still very fresh to MLB. He will probably get traded as well.

We used to spend money and make playoffs. Now we are the team that dumps the star player at the trad deadline to help another team drive to the post season.

That's all speculation.

Spending money does not make you a winner, where were the yankees last year? Oh yea, the same place as the Braves...NOT in the playoffs. Meanwhile a team like Tampa Bay made it to the World Series...

AMD_Civic
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
GOOD TEAM!! BRAVES?? you gotta be kidding me!!!!! RED SOX BABY.!!!!

FlipKing
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
A. Braves have a VERY good farm system
B. Braves make pretty damn good trades. We got Smoltz in a farm system trade. We got jurrjins in a farm system trade.
C. I just believe we aren't close to competing yet and we dont need to sign older players.

HyPer50
02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
C. I just believe we aren't close to competing yet and we dont need to sign older players.

I know waiting sucks, but the future looks bright. We have a ton of great young talent, just needs to play in the minors a bit longer then they will replace some of the older guys.

FlipKing
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree,lol, I just dont agree to paying the older players now. Just lose and deal with it for a few years and excel in a few years

DinanM3atl
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
The braves excelling?

As someone who was in the stands when Sid Breem limped home. As someone who watched Nixon climb the wall while in the stands. As someone who watched David Justice hit the World Series winning Home Run from the stands....

I won't get my hopes up. It just gets trashed every season as we ride a downhill rollercoaster.

94ludeguy
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
i think he will help either way. yeah hes getting a little old but he is still a good ball player... and if he didnt have such a injury plagued career he would own the home run record... he always plays balls to the wall. you cant fault that

HyPer50
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Aaaaand he backs out so it's a moot point. Griffey to Mariners. bleh.