PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods B18A1 Crank Balancing

HondaHead270
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
So I took my dad and I took my block to the machinist and I was asking him (the machinist) about balancing my crank..and he told me crank balance didn't really matter that much on a inline 4 'cause, "there's two up and two down"...so needless to say the crank is not being balanced im building an A1 ls/vtec with ENDYNs GSR head. Question being, knowing the harmonic and R/S ratio problems of the A1 how much of a reliability problem will this eventually pose? I live in KY and honest to God, I think this build will be one of the few 4 cylinder builds around here.

JDM onlyy
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Not gonna last very long. And those rods aren't made to rev very high, so chances are you are gonna shoot a rod through your block. I recommend getting ARP rod bolts if you are using stock rods, but if you are using a different rods that didn't come with that crank (like GSR or Type-R or aftermarket) you have to get the rods and crank balanced together at the machine shop.

Hope this help'd some.

HondaHead270
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, actually, thanks. Helps a lot cause I haven't purchased my rods or pistons yet. ARP rod bolts are more than likely a certainty cause I've already got head and main studs from them. So, thanks for taking it easy on me for my first post. :D

Starrfire
02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, you can't use Gsr/type R rods with the Ls crank, they are too long .9 mm to be exact. but most aftermarket pistons are within +/- 1 gram, which is neglegable. so are the pistons, So if the cranks balanced, and then in a normal street application, it really won't matter.Go get some eagles and some good pistons and you won't have any problems with the bottom end. Plus why not with a brand new endyne head. Seems kinda weird to want to keep a stock bottom end with it.

HondaHead270
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't--I just haven't bought aftermarket pieces yet. I'm getting rods and pistons like i said in the other post.

all-mota
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
honda motors are internally balanced to a certian standard when stock. regardless of what he said balnce the whole rotating assembly together crank rods pistons etc.

also if your planning on using the main studs you realize the mains need to be line honed to make sure everything is perfectly round or you will run into problems there. if your not shooting for big power sell them and stick with factory main bolts they hold upwards of 500 hp with no problems

HondaHead270
02-18-2009, 03:07 PM
It is getting line bored too. I'm not necessarily shooting for the largest numbers possible after all its a N/A LS/Vtec on stock bore...I just want 210+ at the wheels that'll make it pretty far with only basic maintenance. I'm getting endyns roller-wave pistons and their offering of Crower rods are more than likely going to find their way into my block as well. I was just making sure that since the crank was there I didn't need to call him and tell him to balance it now. When I get my rods, rod bolts and pistons, it'll all go back and be balanced together.

Call it overkill or whatever. I just want the thing to last.

southside
02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
So I took my dad and I took my block to the machinist and I was asking him (the machinist) about balancing my crank..and he told me crank balance didn't really matter that much on a inline 4 'cause, "there's two up and two down"...so needless to say the crank is not being balanced im building an A1 ls/vtec with ENDYNs GSR head. Question being, knowing the harmonic and R/S ratio problems of the A1 how much of a reliability problem will this eventually pose? I live in KY and honest to God, I think this build will be one of the few 4 cylinder builds around here.What machine shop is this?I wanna make sure I dont make a mistake and go there.Just hit up my buddy Scott down in Fayetteville he can take care of you.And wont tell you somthing dumb like balancing is required.Even though he continously refers to my cranks as "Little crank":lmfao: :boobies: :boobies: :lmfao:

HondaHead270
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Cornette's or something like that not sure on the spelling of it exactly but apparently he's related to Jack Roush somehow--brother in law from what I hear.

Starrfire
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Why in the name of god are you line boring it???
Better be the best mother fucker in the world or you will need a new engine since the main caps are iron, and the block is aluminum, so you can get a good idea on which one is going to want to "bore" easier. But good luck finding some good oversized bearings with the outer over bored.

HondaHead270
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Well, I don't know really. Apparently you can or the other guy wouldn't have said to do it with my main studs. Why would you not be able to align bore any block? I'm not being a jackass or anything, my dad told him to do it and he said ok so its getting done....

Starrfire
02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Well this ain't a chevy motor... sounds like your dad is a chevy guy though...

all-mota
02-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, I don't know really. Apparently you can or the other guy wouldn't have said to do it with my main studs. Why would you not be able to align bore any block? I'm not being a jackass or anything, my dad told him to do it and he said ok so its getting done....

lol so much misinformation just do what you think is right. my engine has main studs and it was lined honed it runs just fine and the work was done by one of the biggest guys in the import machining industry jim justice racing engines

aaronfelipe
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
So why again did you take your dad to the machinist?

HondaHead270
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
So why again did you take your dad to the machinist?

Because he's a 18 year tech and knows what he's doing.:ninja: It's just being honed too btw