PDA

View Full Version : quick oil in water question

frostbyte
02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
ok well here we go, i gotta 89 toyota pickup. a few days ago i was gonna flush my coolant system. well upon openin the overflow and the brandnew radiator, i noticed a thick layer of oil floating on top. as in like 2" think in oil. but theres no water mixin with oil. drained it to be sure and its jus as clean as can be for oil. sooooo could my head gasket still be shot even with no water in oil? it doesnt smoke or run funny at all, all lights are off and hell the lil fucker runs perfect. could it jus be all the sludge from wen radiator exploded workin thru system???

Bus Driver J
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
It is still possible for oi lot get into the coolant with out vice versa. The headgasket has passages that allow oil into the head for the cams. The "seal" could be leaking and going into the coolant passage. Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure.
But this isnt limited to JUST the head gasket. Anywhere where the 2 come close to each other is a possibility.

mmmmpsi
02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
But 80%+ of the time it's a headgasket.

Barefoot
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
just do a comp test and ull find out for sure.

frostbyte
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
i kinda figured that but jus hopin maybe someones had this issue already.. it overheated bad before i got it. so i jus called the guy and it was a crack in radiatior so he said he put 2 cans of stop leak in it. ima try a flush n see wat happens. i replaced the radiator wen i got it home.. maybe its all the stopleak crap lol hey i can wish..

frostbyte
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
will try that tomorrow nomo.. thanx... oh btw i found a free couch lmao off general tech.. see it worx :)

Barefoot
02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
it overheated bad before i got it. so i jus called the guy and it was a crack in radiatior so he said he put 2 cans of stop leak in it. ima try a flush n see wat happens. i replaced the radiator wen i got it home.. maybe its all the stopleak crap lol hey i can wish..your fucked. that stop leak shit kills more motors than asian and black women combined.

frostbyte
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
lmmfgdao! oh well if so ill find a r22 to slap in it lol.. or maybe a 3fitty lol