PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear USA canned...

OnURleft
02-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I believe it's the reason that Jay Leno stated which is Top Gear would make it's money off advertisements and the show would be held back from truly "good writing." (I.e not insulting the very paying for there ads).

Quoted from Jay Leno who I.M.O has very good reasons for why the show didn't make it...

"I like the show just the way it is. Jeremy and the guys are extremely talented, so maybe it would be an idea to do an American show similar to Top Gear but not with the same name, because I think it would be impossible to recreate or live up to the standards of the British show."

n addition, Leno said he also had concerns that NBC's Top Gear corporate sponsorships wouldn't allow him to poke fun at automobiles the same way the British version does.

"I don't think you could be quite as freewheeling with your opinions as you can on the BBC, because sponsors pay for the programs. Sponsors would be unlikely to embrace any criticism," he wrote.

"Americans don't really see personalities like Jeremy on television. They know that they have to be somewhat watered down. When Jeremy rips into some sponsor such as Ford or Chrysler, well, that's the last time they sponsor that show. Then what you have is 'the meeting' after the show, where they tell him to tone it down. That's just not what they do at Top Gear."

While Leno admitted some British shows -- such as NBC's The Office -- "translate quite well" in the States, he doesn't think Top Gear fits the same

Hence, why it has probably been canned. I completely agree. Why try to replicate a wonderful program?

Top Gear press conference.

http://hessmo.com/blog/

EJ25RUN
02-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear it. Top Gear wont be ruined by American tv...yet

blaknoize
02-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Yea, they BETTER not make an American version. It'll lower out GDP and the car sales market will be even more hurt.

BKgen®
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
thank God.

Bus Driver J
02-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Even if they did have an american one, i wouldnt watch it. The british version is just too good to try and duplicate.

NewGen33
02-15-2009, 12:21 AM
This is good news

Alan®
02-15-2009, 12:42 AM
not surprised

Atlblkz06
02-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Phew!

Kaiser
02-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Hallelujah. Now I can go back to converting my friends to watching the BBC version. It's been fun inviting them over to watch them on the bigscreen downstairs, even all the old episodes seem new again with them around.

EJ25RUN
02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Yea, they BETTER not make an American version. It'll lower out GDP and the car sales market will be even more hurt.
You do realize plenty of people buy cars because Jeremy did NOT like them.

Shows like Top Gear encourage sales.

Hallelujah. Now I can go back to converting my friends to watching the BBC version. It's been fun inviting them over to watch them on the bigscreen downstairs, even all the old episodes seem new again with them around.

True that. It seems when you show new people Top Gear for the first time, you can watch it again and again.

The Yousef
02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
while on some level i'm pleased....on another level i'm not.

i'm a fan of Adam Corolla and Tanner Foust (not really sure of the other guy) and i think that it would have been a great show. Leno is right in the fact that the advertising would have gotten the best of the show in the long run. so well a person can dream can't they?

ShooterMcGavin
02-15-2009, 06:49 PM
i was never that excited about it anyway so whatever.

redrumracer
02-15-2009, 07:11 PM

True that. It seems when you show new people Top Gear for the first time, you can watch it again and again.
i think he always has something bad to say about car.

EJ25RUN
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
i think he always has something bad to say about car.
doesn't everybody? I know i do.

Everycar has its good and bad. What makes him different is he sees more of the car than just the tech. Some will agree some wont but all usually end up being entertained.

15degvee
02-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Couldn't be happier. Clarkson is one of the world's greatest journalists as far as writing style goes. There isn't anyone in the states that could replicate him even in the slightest...And Hammond and May just make it that much better. Not only that, fucking sensitive ass American pussies couldn't stand the criticism of themselves, or their cars.

ash7
02-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Not only that, fucking sensitive ass American pussies couldn't stand the criticism of themselves, or their cars.

All those dang ricer honda guys for instance... sheesh.

-jonathan

_Christian_
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Good. Ima go watch some Top Gear :)

OnURleft
02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Hessmo.com has every episode post 2001 (aka new top gear)

_Christian_
02-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Hessmo.com has every episode post 2001 (aka new top gear)
sweet, the website i was on didn't have everything. :D

OnURleft
02-16-2009, 02:01 AM
sweet, the website i was on didn't have everything. :D

Yeah hessmo is great. I plan on ordering a bunch of top gear stuff from either them or the offical top gear site. Whichever one supports the programme (haha) more. I have watched every epside of new Top Gear, even seasons' 1-2-3 etc. etc. Let's just say I feel like I know the 3 personally. I would really love to meet all of them, they have simply amazing chemistry as presenters, friends and co-works which is always entertaining to watch.

Sam C.
02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Thank god, the genius of Top Gear could never be duplicated in the States.

blaknoize
02-16-2009, 06:03 PM

U do realize I dont care. Plus it was a sarcastic statement. OBVIOUSLY this doesnt directly effect our GDP or car sales :gay: