PDA

View Full Version : long distance trip

tmracing83
02-14-2009, 12:30 PM
aight i got another stupid question that i just have to ask.... i live just near atl and im plannin on going to see some family in nothern kentucky (borderline Ohio). my engine is frershly rebuilt around 3000 miles ago and the engine has bout 90k on it its boosted and thats what worries me. the trip is 466 miles and im worried my car would overheat just from the 7 hour drive. i know i could drive the car and just stay on low or totally out of boost most of the tyime but i just dont want to blow this car up so what do yall think ????
any input is well appreciated
thankx everyone.

yunglaosta
02-14-2009, 12:32 PM
did you get a good tune? why would you worry about it overheating? i think you should only worry about it overheating is if your radiator is damaged or something dealing with it. you should be fine, if your boosting on a stock block, or if you got a good tune

SLOWR/T
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Has the car over heated before? If not then you will be fine. I just wouldnt beat on it up there if your that worried.

Just_CHill
02-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Has the car over heated before? If not then you will be fine. I just wouldnt beat on it up there if your that worried.
x2

That's why it's always good to take a short "test" trip to a place that's not too far away from home. I went to Savannah (about 4 hours) just to test mine cause I was planning on driving it to Texas. It overheated the first hour, but it was a simple fix. Forgot to add more antifreeze after fixing the leak LOL. Just make sure you take some tools, a list of numbers of friends around the area you are going to be traveling, and fluids that may need.

yunglaosta
02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
x2

That's why it's always good to take a short "test" trip to a place that's not too far away from home. I went to Savannah (about 4 hours) just to test mine cause I was planning on driving it to Texas. It overheated the first hour, but it was a simple fix. Forgot to add more antifreeze after fixing the leak LOL. Just make sure you take some tools, a list of numbers of friends around the area you are going to be traveling, and fluids that may need.

lol, i agree. bring everything with you to be save :goodjob:

tmracing83
02-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Ya it shouldn't over heat I'm just worried prolly cause this is my first boosted car and I love it! But ya I'm just going to take plenty of antifreeze and hope for the best. It has no history of overheating that I no of.

Just_CHill
02-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Just one more thing, just in case you didn't think about it. Make sure you change your oil before that long trip.

EmminoDaGreat
02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I drive mine to florida, all the time, usually a 400 mile trip, never really have any issues.... cept a coupler blew off once...

tmracing83
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
well that just sux, im hoping for nothing to blow off on the trip...i dont really have too much money too fix anything right now

tmracing83
02-14-2009, 02:49 PM
i got my oil changed prolly 2weeks ago... full synthetic

EmminoDaGreat
02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
coupler blows off, you just bolt it right back on...

blaknoize
02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
UP north, near me? And overheat? BISH please. I used to drive my seized (somethin like that) waterpump Accord all the time to and from here. 546 miles. Dont worry about it and...

PLEASE FUKIN PLEASE SPEED BETWEEN RICHMOND KY AND LEXINGTON COPS DO NOT EXIST BETWEEN THERE, WATCH OUT AT THE CREST OF THE LARGEST HILL ON THE TRIP IN KY AS CRUISERS DO WAIT THERE.

I-75 my home!

Julio
02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
My dad always use to tell me growing up..

If I dont have money that I could spend without having to worry about it..

Dont do anything that will make you have to worry...

if that makes sense..

quickdodgeŽ
02-14-2009, 10:31 PM
My dad always use to tell me growing up..

If I dont have money that I could spend without having to worry about it..

Dont do anything that will make you have to worry...

if that makes sense..

I always got the same advice. Later, QD.

K20Z1
02-15-2009, 01:24 AM
1-800-rent-a-car

scttydb411
02-15-2009, 08:45 AM
over the course of the 6 years i've been boosted my car has seen 50+ trips to fla (700+ rount trip), 5 trips to nc (700+ rount trip), and who knows how many on mountain runs through tail of the dragon and natahala. as long as the car is sound mechanically and has been tuned you should be fine.

the question you never answered is...has it been tuned?

Atlblkz06
02-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Run it hard, and maybe try doing ~65 in 5th (of 4th is 5th is your tallest) and see if it wants to overheat.

Have fun.

ksniperfox
02-15-2009, 09:20 AM
the question you never answered is...has it been tuned?

and the most important question. if it hasnt been tuned you shouldnt be driving it at all.

if it hasnt been tuned your motor is probably already fucked anyhow.;)

tmracing83
02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
yea its deff. been tuned

G.C
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
You should be fine. Just relax and enjoy the drive.

Its common sense but, make sure you check your tires,engine oil,brake oil,anti-freeze,power steering fluid before you leave. You should take extra quart of oil, anti-freeze,fix a flat, and few tools with you.

G/l with everything.:goodjob:

tmracing83
02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
O ya I got all the extra fluids n my trunk always!!! And thanx y'all! It eases some tension of my back just seein what everyones got to say...
Reps to all!!!!

blaknoize
02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I dont see no reps :ninja:

Member31410
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
x2

That's why it's always good to take a short "test" trip to a place that's not too far away from home. I went to Savannah (about 4 hours) just to test mine cause I was planning on driving it to Texas.

I concur. +1