PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Get ready for the new RX7s and RX9s...

quickdodge®
02-13-2009, 08:44 PM
"After our going to lengths to dispute the likelihood of any RX-7 coming to us any time in the next decade, Inside Line reckons it’s had an inside source at Mazda’s Hiroshima HQ confirm that a new Mazda RX-7 is indeed on the way, though no dates were given.

According to IL’s source, Mazda’s efforts to promote the Renesis engine over the past decade means the company will not allow the rotary engine to fall into the pages of history yet again.

IL’s man on the inside said that development of a new RX-7 is “well along”, and that the next-gen sports car will feature a front-midship-mounted 16X rotary engine making upwards of 201kW (270hp) without any form of forced induction.

The new 16X engine is believed to be built on a 800cc x 2 configuration, as opposed to the 13B’s 654cc x 2 format. Despite the higher capacity, fuel economy is improved by some 20 percent – a factor which will go a long way towards improving the rotary’s image as an oil-burning engine with poor economy and high emissions.

Inside Line says the new (FE?) RX-7 will feature a new twin-clutch six-speed manual transmission, with a feature that will allow drivers to set the revs at which the clutches engage.

An all-new chassis is supposedly part of the project, and Mazda has managed to cut as good as 100kg (220lb), bringing the car down to around 1197kg.

Little else was offered regarding a new RX-8 and the oft-rumoured (and possibly hydrogen-powered) RX-9, except to say that projects for both cars are underway."

Later, QD.

87 Turbo II
02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gottraction?
02-13-2009, 10:53 PM
interesting

JITB
02-13-2009, 11:51 PM
i love mazda...

DVSRX-7
02-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Sounds like I'm going to be looking for the first wrecked 20xx Rx7, engine swap anyone?? Lol

I really hope Mazda comes through with this one..

dorin48
02-14-2009, 08:45 AM
After being around my friends Turbo II so much I have come to love these engines. Can't wait to see a final production model in action and disect the the new rotary.

David88vert
02-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I'll buy it as long as it looks good.

SLOWR/T
02-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Cant wait to see what it will look like.

Norlan
02-14-2009, 01:52 PM
RX9 looks just like a Crossfire

JITB
02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
RX9 looks just like a Crossfire

wut? when did they come out?

Norlan
02-14-2009, 02:08 PM
wut? when did they come out?

concept pics are available on google

JITB
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
concept pics are available on google

you said that like they are released already... ive seen the concept pics..

rx7/9 will have alot of the furia body lines in it like the recent mazdas have had for sure

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2668405900_2f970a8edb.jpg

OneSlow5pt0
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
i love that car...posted above

if it looks anything like the RX-9 concept thats been floating around,it will deff go on my list of cars to buy.

OnURleft
02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Let's hope they don't drink more gas than a Vette or an M5 like the current one does with it's 1.3.

tdurr
02-14-2009, 04:00 PM
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x3094583205943820952830958409

i still need to get my fc running... :(

David88vert
02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Let's hope they don't drink more gas than a Vette or an M5 like the current one does with it's 1.3.

Actually, it probably will.

87 Turbo II
02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
i doubt they will call anythnig the Rx-9 cause an Rx-9 already exists.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/baltsiotis/rx9/P1030053.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/baltsiotis/rx9/P1030055.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/baltsiotis/rx9/P1030050.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/baltsiotis/rx9/P1030049.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/baltsiotis/rx9/P1030051.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/baltsiotis/rx9/P1030048.jpg

quickdodge®
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
i doubt they will call anythnig the Rx-9 cause an Rx-9 already exists.

Hmmmm. Well I guess they won't call the new RX7 that because it already exists as well, huh? Think before you post. Later, QD.

sc0rp7
02-14-2009, 09:53 PM
The 16X.... no matter what it goes into, should be a great leap in rotary technology... They are changing the rotors to be skinnier and have more "stroke" if you will... This will help increase low end and mid range torque...

- Chris

rickgiblin
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
you said that like they are released already... ive seen the concept pics..

rx7/9 will have alot of the furia body lines in it like the recent mazdas have had for sure

to me that pic has ALOT of the audi r8 in it... its a sweet looking car and i hope that they transfer soem of the lines in that car into the new r7

87 Turbo II
02-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Hmmmm. Well I guess they won't call the new RX7 that because it already exists as well, huh? Think before you post. Later, QD. The way you worded that is quite condescending but hear me out.
QD, you know a lot, I'm sure but if it's one thing I know, it's the Rx-series lineage.

Although the term Rx has never had any reall meaning, it was hinted on at a Mazda press conference that it stands for "Rotary Experiment". The number afterwords is then assigned to an attempt. The R-100 (or Rx-1 unofficially) was the first attempt to market the rotary engine in a non-flagship (Cosmo WAS the flagship) production car. The second attempt, or Rx-2, was to try and approach from a larger chassis with both 2 and 4 door variants. Rx-3 was an attempt with a coupe, and a wagon. Rx-4 was released alongside the REPU (Rotary Engine PickUp) for a pure sedan and truck platform. The Rx-5 was an experiment regarding the idea of a rotary luxury sedan(often called the cosmo Rx-5 for more of a luxury feel). The Rx-6 was a clever idea to put a rotary engine in the 626 platform but was canned at the last minute and never existed. This brings us to the magnificent Rx-7. The rotary experiment,of a Sports car with a rotary engine. This, was also the first Rx-series car with no option for a rotary or piston engine, it was rotary or nothing. This car was so successful, it is the only rotary car aside from the Cosmo, to have ,and this is key here, DIFFERENT GENERATIONS. Also, being that 7 is tied to the experiment of a rotary sports car, the next purebread rotary sports car will be involved in the same experiment category, whereas all the others differed slightly, and this will be the 4th generation Rx-7. The rx-8 was an experiment for a practical sports car that seats for comfortably, and the Rx-9 was a name for the 929 semi-luxury edition. The piston 929s were called 929s, the 12A 929 was dubbed the Rx-9 (and only sold in Greece oddly enough) and the 13B 929 was sold in Japan only named the "Luce". This was an experiment for a large affordable rotary sedan, and unless the new Rx car is aimed at this same target, there won't be a 2nd Gen Rx-9. The only chance that it might be called such, is that since the Rx-9 is so unknown, Mazda will reuse the name not expecting many to call out their contradictory mistake.

87 Turbo II
02-15-2009, 12:27 AM
The 16X.... no matter what it goes into, should be a great leap in rotary technology... They are changing the rotors to be skinnier and have more "stroke" if you will... This will help increase low end and mid range torque...

- Chris
and the shorter apex seals means less apex-flex when being slid across the housing face therefore increasing engine longevity.

redrumracer
02-15-2009, 01:53 AM
id love to see this happen

Catnip
02-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Rotary is something like a fag.

Catnip
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
oh yeah, they suck... and blow.

Catnip
Much like my MPGs

tron
sweet

i hope most of the fd styling shows up in the new one, the side profile of that car is just godly

87 Turbo II
02-15-2009, 02:02 AM
oh yeah, they suck... and blow.
Technically every engine does.

03RCode
02-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Much like my MPGs

LOLOLOLOL @ bitching about 15mpg.

Elbow
02-15-2009, 07:51 AM
My Miata gets 15mpg.

quickdodge®
02-15-2009, 08:34 AM
The way you worded that is quite condescending but hear me out.
QD, you know a lot, I'm sure but if it's one thing I know, it's the Rx-series lineage.

You probably do know more than I do on this, but I still don't see where your comment made any sense. You said the RX9 already exists so they probably won't call it that. Well in that case, the RX7 shouldn't be called that because it already exists as well. The Honda Accord already exists so I don't know why they are still calling it that, either. Same with every other car in the world they redo. It's just called remodeling the cars they are named under.

I'm not trying to be condescending to you, but I just don't get it. Later, QD.

Glides
02-15-2009, 09:57 AM
The way you worded that is quite condescending but hear me out.

Although the term Rx has never had any reall meaning, it was hinted on at a Mazda press conference that it stands for "Rotary Experiment". The number afterwords is then assigned to an attempt. The R-100 (or Rx-1 unofficially) was the first attempt to market the rotary engine in a non-flagship (Cosmo WAS the flagship) production car. The second attempt, or Rx-2, was to try and approach from a larger chassis with both 2 and 4 door variants. Rx-3 was an attempt with a coupe, and a wagon. Rx-4 was released alongside the REPU (Rotary Engine PickUp) for a pure sedan and truck platform. The Rx-5 was an experiment regarding the idea of a rotary luxury sedan(often called the cosmo Rx-5 for more of a luxury feel). The Rx-6 was a clever idea to put a rotary engine in the 626 platform but was canned at the last minute and never existed. This brings us to the magnificent Rx-7. The rotary experiment,of a Sports car with a rotary engine. This, was also the first Rx-series car with no option for a rotary or piston engine, it was rotary or nothing. This car was so successful, it is the only rotary car aside from the Cosmo, to have ,and this is key here, DIFFERENT GENERATIONS. Also, being that 7 is tied to the experiment of a rotary sports car, the next purebread rotary sports car will be involved in the same experiment category, whereas all the others differed slightly, and this will be the 4th generation Rx-7. The rx-8 was an experiment for a practical sports car that seats for comfortably, and the Rx-9 was a name for the 929 semi-luxury edition. The piston 929s were called 929s, the 12A 929 was dubbed the Rx-9 (and only sold in Greece oddly enough) and the 13B 929 was sold in Japan only named the "Luce". This was an experiment for a large affordable rotary sedan, and unless the new Rx car is aimed at this same target, there won't be a 2nd Gen Rx-9. The only chance that it might be called such, is that since the Rx-9 is so unknown, Mazda will reuse the name not expecting many to call out their contradictory mistake.

Hmm. You are a bit off on this.

A. RX means Rotary Experimental. There is no "It could mean"....It DOES mean. It's long been known. Others will say it stood for Sports. As in X is Sporty. But thats all hype.

B. The RX2 Came only with a Rotary Engine as it was an option package for the Capella. But an RX2 designation, only came with a Rotary engine. The 12A. It had problems with the seals, causing Mazda to offer a better set of seals but at something like $1000 cost to the customer. Most people junked em. Thats why they are so rare today.

C. The RX3, came with a 10A, 12A and 13B. No option for Gasoline engine. The 3 stayed in production until the RX7 came out.

D. The RX4, CAme with 12A and 13B as well. No Gasoline engine.

E. The RX5, IE Cosmo in America. Was not meant as an experiment into Luxury per say, it was meant to emulate American cars. Bigger, more Muscle car looking. That is what made it so popular in Japan. Video for your pleasure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQgpCJ9pytQ&feature=related

F. The RX9. The Luce Legato was sold in Japan. Never made it to the states in that form. The Luce was sold to "General Issue" countries (Whatever the hell that means, I guess it means Greece.) with Rotaries and badged the RX9.

So, the RX7 was not the first RX series car to only have a Rotary. ALL RX series cars were only Rotaries. You will never find where an RX badged car was sold from the factory with a piston engine in it. Maybe the chassis was renamed and a piston put in, but never an RX series car.

As for the RX7. I actually can see them doing a 4th Generation. Simply because the name carries so much weight. I doubt you could walk down the street, ask the first person you come up too if they know what an RX7 is and them not know. If Mazda is smart, they will cash in on that. The RX7 has too many followers to let that kind of market value slip away.

JITB
02-15-2009, 10:10 AM
to me that pic has ALOT of the audi r8 in it... its a sweet looking car and i hope that they transfer soem of the lines in that car into the new r7
i dont see it! :no:
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/01/Audi-R8-V12-TDI-Live.jpg

quickdodge®
02-15-2009, 10:14 AM
You will never find where an RX badged car was sold from the factory with a piston engine in it. Maybe the chassis was renamed and a piston put in,

Yup. The Mazda 808 here in the US was that. An RX3 with a piston engine. Later, QD.

JITB
02-15-2009, 10:29 AM
, and the Rx-9 was a name for the 929 semi-luxury edition. The piston 929s were called 929s, the 12A 929 was dubbed the Rx-9 (and only sold in Greece oddly enough) and the 13B 929 was sold in Japan only named the "Luce". This was an experiment for a large affordable rotary sedan, and unless the new Rx car is aimed at this same target, there won't be a 2nd Gen Rx-9. The only chance that it might be called such, is that since the Rx-9 is so unknown, Mazda will reuse the name not expecting many to call out their contradictory mistake.

The mazda Luce came with a few motors..

the Luce Royal "classic" came with a 13b turbo, from 86 to 91

And in australia, it was named the 929, and was identical to the Luce but came with the JFT v6turbo motor.

87 Turbo II
02-15-2009, 12:12 PM

A. RX means Rotary Experimental. There is no "It could mean"....It DOES mean. It's long been known. Others will say it stood for Sports. As in X is Sporty. But thats all hype.

B. The RX2 Came only with a Rotary Engine as it was an option package for the Capella. But an RX2 designation, only came with a Rotary engine. The 12A. It had problems with the seals, causing Mazda to offer a better set of seals but at something like $1000 cost to the customer. Most people junked em. Thats why they are so rare today.

C. The RX3, came with a 10A, 12A and 13B. No option for Gasoline engine. The 3 stayed in production until the RX7 came out.

E. The RX5, IE Cosmo in America. Was not meant as an experiment into Luxury per say, it was meant to emulate American cars. Bigger, more Muscle car looking. That is what made it so popular in Japan. Video for your pleasure.

F. The RX9. The Luce Legato was sold in Japan. Never made it to the states in that form. The Luce was sold to "General Issue" countries (Whatever the hell that means, I guess it means Greece.) with Rotaries and badged the RX9.

So, the RX7 was not the first RX series car to only have a Rotary. ALL RX series cars were only Rotaries. You will never find where an RX badged car was sold from the factory with a piston engine in it. Maybe the chassis was renamed and a piston put in, but never an RX series car.

As for the RX7. I actually can see them doing a 4th Generation. Simply because the name carries so much weight. I doubt you could walk down the street, ask the first person you come up too if they know what an RX7 is and them not know. If Mazda is smart, they will cash in on that. The RX7 has too many followers to let that kind of market value slip away.

Ahh well there is a guy here in Atlanta who owns an Rx-2 and is looking to get an Rx-4 and I learned mostof that from him. I guess he used a poor choice of words when he was telling me that the Rx-7 was the only rotary-is-mandatory RX car. The others might have undergone different badging or bodies on the same platform.

87 Turbo II
02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
You probably do know more than I do on this, but I still don't see where your comment made any sense. You said the RX9 already exists so they probably won't call it that. Well in that case, the RX7 shouldn't be called that because it already exists as well. The Honda Accord already exists so I don't know why they are still calling it that, either. Same with every other car in the world they redo. It's just called remodeling the cars they are named under.

I'm not trying to be condescending to you, but I just don't get it. Later, QD.
I guess what I was getting at is that the Rx-9 is such an oddball for what we'd need in this market, that the likely hood of there being a second generation of it is slim. I wasn't thinking into account Mazda could pull what dodge did with the charger name and just change the car entirely. The Rx-7 on the other hand, has been asked for by enthusiasts on countless occasions. But they still might call it that, who knows, I just didn't think they would.

Crit
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Whoops - sorry to dig up an old thread, but we can't let misinformation get out there, can we? This internet stuff is serious business. I think you're misunderstanding what 87T2 was saying, and being more than a little indignant about it to boot.

Not so. It was largely thought back in the day to mean Rotary Export. The R100 was a Familia Rotary, the RX-2 was the Capella Rotary, the RX-3 was the Savanna, the RX-4 was the Luce, the RX-5 was the Cosmo..... in the home market. Prior to the RX-7, the Japanese folks never saw the "RX" nomenclature used, except on the export models. Is it the truth, who knows. Is it debatable? Yes.

So, Mazda started US sales with the R100. If you wanted a boinger in your R100, you could buy a 1300.

Largely correct. Early twin-distrubutor 12As had 6mm apex seals (modern ones were 3mm and 2mm) and they wore fast as shit, because they were all carbon. They wore, lost compression, life sucked. 1974 happened and brought graphite/steel alloy, they fixed it, and their reputation began to rebound. If you wanted a boinger that looked like an RX-2, you bought a 616 (Capella elsewere).

In the US, the RX-3 was sold as a Sedan, Coupe, or Wagon. Internationally, some got 10As (As did Capella Rotary models) All US RX-3s got 12As. No RX-3 or Savanna ever got a 13B. If you wanted a boinger that looked like an RX-3, you bought an 808.

I've always liked RX-4s. They were available here only with a 13B, and the engine, tranny and steering wheel were all directly transplanted into the Rotary Pickups that were made from 74 to 77. Good cars. But if you wanted a boinger in your RX-4 rather than the 13B, you could get the 929.

Yeah, the RX-5 sucked. In the US it was always called the Cosmo but the rotorheads knew better. If you wanted a boinger that looked like an RX-5, you bought a 121.

Chris, it sounds like your memory was spot-on, and that EVERY rotary-powered Mazda sold in the US had a piston-powered sister car. Up until the RX-7, that is. Don't let other folks tell you you're wrong when you're not. You must have a smart buddy.

http://www.vintagerotaries.org/index.php?showtopic=38

ash7
12-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Outstanding post Crit!

Some very good information :goodjob:
-jonathan

DeeAOne
12-11-2009, 01:21 AM
ooh this should be nice! :goodjob: