PDA

View Full Version : advance vs retard timing...

Master Shake
02-13-2009, 09:58 AM
which is better for all motor and boosted setups?
why?

Vteckidd
02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
neither

Set it to factory settings an leave it unless you can tune a car.

And unless you can really understand what retard and advancing the ignition timing does, theres no need in changing it. You leave the timing where the best burn occurs and you get the most cylinder pressure

you cannot do that by guessing. You have to have a dyno, wideband, tuning software and be able to read it.

USUALLY in most BOOSTED setups you will end up backing timing down as the turbo/supercharger is feeding super dense air into the chamber, so you can get a pre-ignition event under normal timing conditions. =BAD

NA setups, it just depends on too many variables, cam size, intake size, header size, etc. Timing depends on where the motor likes to be run

Master Shake
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
neither

Set it to factory settings an leave it unless you can tune a caroh, then why do some companys had the adjustable cam gears?
is there not real perfomance difference?

Vteckidd
02-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Cam gears is for overlap, not timing.

Sentra
02-13-2009, 12:29 PM
If your distributor can be moved forward and or backwards, most of the timing that is the standard way of changing time. But like Mike said, don't do it without getting a tune.

scttydb411
02-13-2009, 11:42 PM
set the distributor at stock timing of your vehicle. advancing/retarding the timing during a tune can be done w/in the tuning software. cam timing is a different thing and is used to change the overlap like mike said. different cams need different cam timing setting based on their design (centerline, lift, duration, ramp, etc). some cams like a combination of adv on intake and retard on exh while others will like both advanced, but one advanced more than the other and vice/versa.

cam specs and tuning are what will determine. if they are stock cams, or you don't know what cams you have, or if you have a lot of compression or oversized valves...keep them at 0-0.

Sir_Christopher
02-13-2009, 11:55 PM
set the distributor at stock timing of your vehicle. advancing/retarding the timing during a tune can be done w/in the tuning software. cam timing is a different thing and is used to change the overlap like mike said. different cams need different cam timing setting based on their design (centerline, lift, duration, ramp, etc). some cams like a combination of adv on intake and retard on exh while others will like both advanced, but one advanced more than the other and vice/versa.

cam specs and tuning are what will determine. if they are stock cams, or you don't know what cams you have, or if you have a lot of compression or oversized valves...keep them at 0-0.

good to know :goodjob:

FlipKing
02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I know i've heard advacning your timing a certain amount and running premium can make you a bit faster and a smoother rev. This is the case with SE-R sentra's and miata's anyway. If you go to SR20 webistes or miata websites it is a common occurance.

87 Turbo II
02-14-2009, 01:54 AM
My car advances its own timing as it rev's up, it's pretty darn cool. It sparks earlier and earlier the higher the engine's revving. I don't know if all cars do this, but I just wanted to brag.

Master Shake
02-14-2009, 09:38 AM
wow, good info everyone.
except for a few.

i've always heard alot about it, but never really understood the point in it. like i know advancing it will help out cause instead on the pistions waiting till they hits TDC, it sparks right before it, so when it does hit TDC, it will be able to ignite the fuel and get the most compression out.

i just put a adjustable cam gear onto my civic. and i was looking at it and was thinking about why it was used and how it really helped with performance. but i do have mine set at 0.

yunglaosta
02-14-2009, 01:14 PM
leave everything alone and get a pro to handle it

ksniperfox
02-15-2009, 09:27 AM
i just put a adjustable cam gear onto my civic. and i was looking at it and was thinking about why it was used and how it really helped with performance. but i do have mine set at 0.

arent you supposed to do that BEFORE you buy random shit? sounds like you are wasting money. unless youre doing a fairly serious motor build, or turbo application, you did waste your money.

FlipKing
02-15-2009, 11:52 AM
With my Sentra, to advance the timing, you just rotated the distributer. In the miata, you change CAS. Doesnt take adjustable cam gears. Personally, I am going to advance mine soon...I've heard plenty about how it helps.

Master Shake
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
arent you supposed to do that BEFORE you buy random shit? sounds like you are wasting money. unless youre doing a fairly serious motor build, or turbo application, you did waste your money.i'm not just buying up random shit and putting it on my car for no reason. car is going thru a slow build for a boosted setup. i've already got some of the bottom end parts that i will running, just haven't installed anything EXCEPT for the cam gear, since it was the easiest part.

i was just asking what the difference between advancing and retarding timing is and what is the purpose they are used for, and how an adjustable cam gear helps add power.
seems someone jumped to conclusions and started bashing before they had all the info on what was going on.

AnthonyF
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
it's also called "retarded" not retard.

Leave your timing alone unless you are trying to pass emissions.

-Ant.

Elbow
03-12-2009, 04:24 PM
neither

Set it to factory settings an leave it unless you can tune a car.

And unless you can really understand what retard and advancing the ignition timing does, theres no need in changing it. You leave the timing where the best burn occurs and you get the most cylinder pressure

you cannot do that by guessing. You have to have a dyno, wideband, tuning software and be able to read it.

USUALLY in most BOOSTED setups you will end up backing timing down as the turbo/supercharger is feeding super dense air into the chamber, so you can get a pre-ignition event under normal timing conditions. =BAD

NA setups, it just depends on too many variables, cam size, intake size, header size, etc. Timing depends on where the motor likes to be run

Um no.

Master Shake
03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
it's also called "retarded" not retard.

Leave your timing alone unless you are trying to pass emissions.

-Ant.well, you know what i mean.

timing isn't being messed with till i get the rest of the parts i need for what i'm going for. which is a boosted single cam and shooting for around 350-375hp. not going completely retarded and going for 450+. thats just too much work for the motor and i got enough work ahead of me for my goals now. but once i achieve what i'm looking for for this setup, i will be looking for another car to start a new build.
i got the piston heads and rings that i'm wanting to use. getting the money up for the rods, crank and all bearings and piston head bolts.
then i'll start rounding up the money for the head internals.