PDA

View Full Version : obd1 vs. obd2 cars

Franco Tirador
02-11-2009, 01:48 AM
which do you think it's better and why...

im making the question as general as possible to hear what you guys think

which would you choose personally and why?

which do you think is better when it comes to :

modifying? (n/a or turbo)

passing emissions?

just for you to own for regular driving?

it seems like this is one of those topics where everyone i ask has a different opinion on, some say that obd2 cars transfer data faster, that they tell you what wrong, that if modded they are easier to alter so they can pass emissions with a good engine management system, and so forth.....

give me some pros and cons, i have been thinking about this long and hard, so talk to me

Barefoot
02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
obd1 why emissions.

speedminded
02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I've spent too much time and money converting my engine to OBD1, lol!

It's a major PITA to put an OBD2 BMW setup in OBD0/1 car...it requires the entire ignition system, key ring, etc.

STRteg
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
OBD2 is better for maintenance as far as the computer giving more detailed information when something goes wrong by use of a scanner,however I would say as far as the car,engine,and selection of use,that would depend on the intent of the vehicle

Tech5
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
OBD2 is better for maintenance as far as the computer giving more detailed information when something goes wrong by use of a scanner,however I would say as far as the car,engine,and selection of use,that would depend on the intent of the vehicle

not true, its just as easy if you have the right scanner... or blink the codes I can read OBDI codes before you can get your little scanner out to the car I am done!

But for tunning concerns then OBDI is the way to go!

thepolecat
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I like OBD1 for my track car- it easier to add and change things without messing up a computer-

but as for the wifes car and my DD- obd 2 for the ease of maintenece

STRteg
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
not true, its just as easy if you have the right scanner... or blink the codes I can read OBDI codes before you can get your little scanner out to the car I am done!

But for tunning concerns then OBDI is the way to go!

Well im not saying its not possible to get engine maintenance information from OBD2 but to me and in my personal opinion it is easier as OBD2 ecu send out more detailed information and easier through a scanner as oppose to OBD1

Tech5
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Well im not saying its not possible to get engine maintenance information from OBD2 but to me and in my personal opinion it is easier as OBD2 ecu send out more detailed information and easier through a scanner as oppose to OBD1

It does the same thing brings out a code and still can be few other things not just one thing...Code reading is the first step of the driveability test...
I prefer OBDI but everyone has their own opinion

silversol
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
i like obd2. i know before i leave the house if i am going to pass emissions. and with my scanner even if i have a pending code i can still make it pass even with out a cat

Tech5
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
i like obd2. i know before i leave the house if i am going to pass emissions. and with my scanner even if i have a pending code i can still make it pass even with out a cat

lol thats also against the law lol

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
lol thats also against the law lol
like you have not done it.

Tech5
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
like you have not done it.

ummmmmmm

no

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
so after you do emissions related work. you dont clear the code and check the readyness before you test it?

speedminded
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
ummmmmmm

noIn an ethical stand-point, a single lawn mower puts out more harmful emissions than most of his cars combined. Is my cars being registered in non-emission counties any worse than "cheating" the system? :tongue:

Tech5
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
so after you do emissions related work. you dont clear the code and check the readyness before you test it?
That is the honest way.....LOL

But many people dont fix cars and do this to get them to pass...

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
In an ethical stand-point. A single lawn mower puts out more harmful emissions than most of his cars combined.

Is my cars being registered in non-emission counties any worse than "cheating" the system? :tongue:

i dont know about that my mustang can kill fucking trees! lol

Tech5
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
In an ethical stand-point, a single lawn mower puts out more harmful emissions than most of his cars combined. Is my cars being registered in non-emission counties any worse than "cheating" the system? :tongue:

depends if paying a 25,000$$$ fine bothers you are not lolol

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
That is the honest way.....LOL

But many people dont fix cars and do this to get them to pass...and yes I am Guilty lol
me and you both know 95% of the cars on ia 0bd1 or obd2 will not pass emmisions every year with out some sort of tweeking!

speedminded
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
i dont know about that my mustang can kill fucking trees! lolThat's why I said "most" haha!

Tech5
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
me and you both know 95% of the cars on ia 0bd1 or obd2 will not pass emmisions every year with out some sort of tweeking!

yes Sir...Got me on that!:lmfao:

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
That's why I said "most" haha!
i got to push it out of the garage to start it! or it will smell up the house lol! :D

Tech5
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
i got to push it out of the garage to start it! or it will smell up the house lol! :D

hey when the summer comes you think you can come by my house and kill all the fucking BEE's lol!

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
it will cost you! i got to poor a gal of gas in the carb just to prime it to start! 93+

Tech5
02-11-2009, 12:26 PM
it will cost you! i got to poor a gal of gas in the carb just to prime it to start! 93+

But I thought it was EFI???

lol

silversol
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
not yet i got the swap but its kinda on hold i still got to buy the harness and fuel system, and the crossmember and pedal assembley.

speedminded
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
not yet i got the swap but its kinda on hold i still got to buy the harness and fuel system, and the crossmember and pedal assembley.lol, that's like my sig saying e30 M52 GT30R...i have an e30 and I have an m52 [just not in the car yet] plus a gt30r isn't on it yet either. It's the thought that counts right ha!

Tech5
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
lol, that's like my sig saying e30 M52 GT30R...i have an e30 and I have an m52 [just not in the car yet] plus a gt30r isn't on it yet either. It's the thought that counts right ha!

No its the actions you take to GIT - R - DONE!