PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Which Rods? Scat, Eagle, or Probe

bigdare23
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Probe I-beams
Scat H-beams
Eagle H-beams

I'm trying to decide on a rod in my price range ($300-$400). Can anyone tell me the pros or cons of each brand and style (I vs H)? They are going in a b20b block.

Init2winit
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
The scat and eagle are the same rods. Same with their crankshafts. They buy imported cores, and machine them to their final specs. Either one of those two will be fine. I don't have any experience with the probe stuff, so I can't tell you there.

ranger250x
02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I beams should be fine for your application unless you are planning on the motor making rediculous power. In which case you probably wouldn't have such a tight budget.

I have only heard one thing about Probe and it wasn't good, but then again the user probably wanted the parts to handle something they werent ment to handle.

Are Carrillo rods out of the question?

bigdare23
02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
The scat and eagle are the same rods. Same with their crankshafts. They buy imported cores, and machine them to their final specs. Either one of those two will be fine. I don't have any experience with the probe stuff, so I can't tell you there.

Thanks homie

bigdare23
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I beams should be fine for your application unless you are planning on the motor making rediculous power. In which case you probably wouldn't have such a tight budget.

I have only heard one thing about Probe and it wasn't good, but then again the user probably wanted the parts to handle something they werent ment to handle.

Are Carrillo rods out of the question?

Those are kinda out of my price range.

Slomaro Z28
02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd go with SCAT Forged I-beams

bigdare23
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I'd go with SCAT Forged I-beams

May i ask why?

Slomaro Z28
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Your budget mainly.....and if you're going to change out rods why not get forged? As said above they are the same as Eagle, but without the price tag. I know this is the all motor section, but if you ever wanna spray your car you should put forged rods and pistons in it now while its apart.

BABY J
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
I haven't heard that SCAT = EAGLE. In fact, I almost want to dispute that but let me research it. The Scats are lighter than the Eagles and arguable just as strong. Dare I know what you are doing, and don't pick up the added weight for a forged rod (IMO). I've sprapyed 100HP shots on stock rods so the added weight wouldn't be worth it since you will prob never run a power adder on that build.

bigdare23
02-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I haven't heard that SCAT = EAGLE. In fact, I almost want to dispute that but let me research it. The Scats are lighter than the Eagles and arguable just as strong. Dare I know what you are doing, and don't pick up the added weight for a forged rod (IMO). I've sprapyed 100HP shots on stock rods so the added weight wouldn't be worth it since you will prob never run a power adder on that build.

Aiight homie :goodjob:

Init2winit
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I haven't heard that SCAT = EAGLE. In fact, I almost want to dispute that but let me research it. The Scats are lighter than the Eagles and arguable just as strong. Dare I know what you are doing, and don't pick up the added weight for a forged rod (IMO). I've sprapyed 100HP shots on stock rods so the added weight wouldn't be worth it since you will prob never run a power adder on that build.I know for a fact that they are.

BABY J
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
The Eagle Is and Scat Is are not the same rods (nor are the Hs) when u pop 'em outta the box. I won't dispute that they start their life in the same way, and maybe even at the same foundry. But Eagle and Scat have diff methodologies on the finished product which the scale can see, as well as the eye and a caliper.

I thought you were saying they were identical outta the box which is not true. I see what you mean now. I doubt Eagle OR Scat will share that with me -- but I do know a couple of people that can educate me - I will shoot 'em an email. Good info. :goodjob:

xdavidscenex
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
fjdistributors

http://fjdistributors.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=282

Slomaro Z28
02-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah if your not gonna ever use a power adder just get the OEM style rod, I was just saying "if" you thought you might run N2O....but it looks like the stock rods will work for that too.

Jenson
02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Stock for N/A build. It'd be easier to answer your question if you provided your hp goal for the engine. Considering stock B rods can usually handle 300hp I don't see why you'd want heavy rods robbing you of power. Shot or cryo the stockers and save some green and free up power

bigdare23
02-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Stock LS/B20 rods are extremely weak and known to give out after high revvs (not meant to be revved past 7200). Stock is out of the question since I'm building a n/a motor that I plan to rev till about 9000-9500.

As for my horsepower goals, I'm looking at about 240-250hp to the wheels.

Jenson
02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
A balanced shot-peened LS rod with an ARP bolt would do the trick but it would be on the limit for your build. At 9500 and 250hp I'd defiantley look into the Manley H beam. Much better than Eagle and Scat and for about the same price. They also come mathced to within 1-1/2 a gram so its really easy to balance the motor. If I had to pick Scat or Eagle, I'd go with eagle. Their machining has always been nicer and they match better than the Scat's.

Fwiw:http://vpfperformance.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_35_37&sort=20a&page=2

Init2winit
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
A balanced shot-peened LS rod with an ARP bolt would do the trick but it would be on the limit for your build. At 9500 and 250hp I'd defiantley look into the Manley H beam. Much better than Eagle and Scat and for about the same price. They also come mathced to within 1-1/2 a gram so its really easy to balance the motor. If I had to pick Scat or Eagle, I'd go with eagle. Their machining has always been nicer and they match better than the Scat's.

Fwiw:http://vpfperformance.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_35_37&sort=20a&page=2You apparently have never put a mic on one of their crankshaft journals, or a dial bore gauge in a rod. If you did, you would see that Scat stuff is much better in the quality of machining than Eagle. The journals on Eagle crankshafts are never flat(I've measured as much as .0015 taper on a journal), and their rods get out of round when torqued. The stuff will work, but it isn't ideal. Scat is much better with their machining than Eagle.

Jenson
02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I have actually, Im a machinist so I measure the crap out of everything. Never had any real issues with eagle, built about 6-7 honda motor's with them and they were all perfect, green's in every motor. I only have experience with one set of scat rod's, it was horrible. They were .003 out of round. I know their V8 stuff is great, we run their cranks all the time and they are always nice. The rods I had were for a B16 and not only were the journals out but they were also 16-30 grams different between the 4, which is sort of expected but still you get my point. This was also a while ago, 4+ years ago, maybe they changed.

Maybe I got a set that was one of the assumed good and didnt quite get inspected as well as the rest, idk, but for the money why not just get Manley's. I mean they are about 20-50 bucks more and you wont need to even balance them.

Vteckidd
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Jenson=OG Machinist so id take his word with some thought in that respect. I know id trust him to built my motor and he has done engine work for me before (b16 that ran for 50,000 miles revving to 10,000rpms)

IMO, for what you are trying to do, Eagles, cheap, proven to work, i had eagles in my 240whp NA motor so.......

Carrillos are better, but 4 times the price

southside
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
I have actually, Im a machinist so I measure the crap out of everything. Never had any real issues with eagle, built about 6-7 honda motor's with them and they were all perfect, green's in every motor. I only have experience with one set of scat rod's, it was horrible. They were .003 out of round. I know their V8 stuff is great, we run their cranks all the time and they are always nice. The rods I had were for a B16 and not only were the journals out but they were also 16-30 grams different between the 4, which is sort of expected but still you get my point. This was also a while ago, 4+ years ago, maybe they changed.

Maybe I got a set that was one of the assumed good and didnt quite get inspected as well as the rest, idk, but for the money why not just get Manley's. I mean they are about 20-50 bucks more and you wont need to even balance them.Since your a machinist how good would you say ls rods shot peened and balanced to 7800rpms be safe for?Most say ls rods can rev to 8k is the limit with stock rod bolts.

BABY J
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
^^ This one is simple.

The question is this: WHY!!!!

Price shot-peening LS rods. Rods made in the early 90s - LOL. THEN price the homeboy-hookup-street price for even some used Eagles/Scat (w/ new rod bolts). That math does NOT compute.

2ndly consider how far you have the motor broken down to get to the rods and the price difference -- doesn't compute AGAIN!

3rd --- ummm, re-read the 1st two statements again. :)

Vteckidd
02-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Baby J is right, shotpeening does NOTHING to strengthen a rod. Thats not what fails, its the rod BOLTS.

Sure you can put ARPs in the LS rods and i would rev them to 9000 and feel good about it. THat is if you want to use OEM pistons.

Aftermarket pistons require aftermarket rods

SPOOLIN
02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
eagle or manley h beams. Similar priced. Manley H beams have been awesome for me and support 700+

Da_unknown
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Baby J is right, shotpeening does NOTHING to strengthen a rod. Thats not what fails, its the rod BOLTS.

Sure you can put ARPs in the LS rods and i would rev them to 9000 and feel good about it. THat is if you want to use OEM pistons.

Aftermarket pistons require aftermarket rodshell mike, look at my brothers LS two years strong w/o a problem revving to 8200 on ls rods with arp rod bolts..

green91
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Ive been told the FJ distributors come from the same factory as the Eagles as well, but i have heard they have had issues being out of round.