PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Kia Spectra Ignition

jmmx258
02-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey I'm workin on a 2002 Kia Spectra. The ignition fouled on the column so its torn apart. The owner currently has the wiring off the back, and it starts it with a screw driver. I at first assumed the connection points on the ignition side of the harness were worn down and not making connection. However, with the wiring unhooked from the back of the ignition itself, its a sort of "Self Contained" unit where it has a slot for the ignition to be turned, with that off, the car is able to be started.

So he bought a new ignition assembly from Kia, when he picked it up he mentioned having a friend do it. When he said that the service guy told something about some sort of cable that is in the ignition.

There was only 2 things I could think of that would be cabled, that would be when the key is turned on it disengages the steering lock, or they were referring to the wiring harness itself.

Most of you know me, so I would appreciate legitimate answers, reps given of course.

Thanks

Edit: All I need to know is, am I going to run into problems with this "Cable" or is this not an issue.

Barefoot
02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
if its like the ones i have done is the past. it should just be for the wheel lock

jmmx258
02-08-2009, 06:23 PM
if its like the ones i have done is the past. it should just be for the wheel lock
Ok, Will I have to worry about the cable?? Looking at it on the column then looking at the one in the box, it seems as though any cable would be internal to the ignition. Aside from that seems as though its just a slot the bolts and change it out process.

Thanks a ton.

Barefoot
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
im not sure. ive never done a kia. the ones ive done the cable stayed with the column and just reconnected to the new ignition.