PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Emission

Tensa_Zanget
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Okay so i went to get my emission done today after i got my swap done onto the crx with a b20. Yes i have a cat and full catback. Overall, i failed the NOx test for both.

Here is my result:

25/25 Test:

Reading: Allowed:
HC ppm 40 160
CO % 0.00 0.90
NOx ppm 2282 1179

50/15 Test:

Reading: Allowed:
HC ppm 45 166
CO % 0.00 0.93
NOx ppm 3187 1304

Tensa_Zanget
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
any help plz??

Me86Rob
02-06-2009, 11:01 PM
if N0x failed it could be your exaust gas recirculating valve. the only thing it does is control you n0x levels. if that doesnt work. contact 350zftw

blackshine007
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
if N0x failed it could be your exaust gas recirculating valve. the only thing it does is control you n0x levels. if that doesnt work. contact 350zftw
Nice try but none of the B series Honda engines come with an EGR. Besides, even if it had EGR and it worked, the numbers would still be high. The main purpose of the EGR is to assist in reducing the NOx, not control it.

The issue with this car would be the catalytic converter not oxidizing the way it should. How big is the converter/exhaust and is it still in the stock position?

Tensa_Zanget
02-06-2009, 11:10 PM

I tried to look up pics where my EGR is located but cant find it for the b20b which was swapped onto my crx. And y contact 350zftw?

Tensa_Zanget
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Nice try but none of the B series Honda engines come with an EGR. Besides, even if it had EGR and it worked, the numbers would still be high. The main purpose of the EGR is to assist in reducing the NOx, not control it.

The issue with this car would be the catalytic converter not oxidizing the way it should. How big is the converter/exhaust and is it still in the stock position?

the converter is from magnaflow which i ordered online and is universal:
Inlet/Outlet Size: 2.5"
Overall Length: 13"
Body Length: 9"
Width: 6 1/2"
Height: 4"

OBD 1 & 2 Approved!

As for the the catback i got a skunk 2 mega power specifically for a 88-91 crx (d series)used. So i took it to muffler shop to get some flanges and get it custom since the header is from a b series and the catback is from a d series.

blackshine007
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
the converter is from magnaflow which i ordered online and is universal:
Inlet/Outlet Size: 2.5"
Overall Length: 13"
Body Length: 9"
Width: 6 1/2"
Height: 4"

OBD 1 & 2 Approved!

As for the the catback i got a skunk 2 mega power specifically for a 88-91 crx (d series)used. So i took it to muffler shop to get some flanges and get it custom since the header is from a b series and the catback is from a d series.
The converter is too large for that engine as far as emissions go. If you can get it to pass with the same converter, it's gonna have to be from the lowest gear allowed. The cat isn't flowing enough gas from that 2.0L at those engine speeds for it to work properly. Your best bet is to retard the shit out of the timing and retry. If that don't work, you need to install a smaller converter, possibly a 2 inch converter, 2.25 max.

Tensa_Zanget
02-06-2009, 11:38 PM
The converter is too large for that engine as far as emissions go. If you can get it to pass with the same converter, it's gonna have to be from the lowest gear allowed. The cat isn't flowing enough gas from that 2.0L at those engine speeds for it to work properly. Your best bet is to retard the shit out of the timing and retry. If that don't work, you need to install a smaller converter, possibly a 2 inch converter, 2.25 max.

But that is the same cat that i got that my friend recommended me. He also got a crx with a ls/vtec and he mange to pass his emission test..besides if its the cat wouldnt i fail the HC ppm and CO %?

blackshine007
02-06-2009, 11:52 PM
But that is the same cat that i got that my friend recommended me. He also got a crx with a ls/vtec and he mange to pass his emission test..besides if its the cat wouldnt i fail the HC ppm and CO %?
Nope. According to your emissions numbers, you have a lazy O2 sensor judging by the CO numbers. You want them to be anywhere near .20 or lower. You may wanna consider changing that sometime. But even then, that would show up under HC's meaning that the failing O2 sensor is causing the computer to dump fuel. But your HC's are in a controllable range so that's not part of the problem. The converter you bought is just like your stock converter; it's a 3 way catalyst. It has to get hot enough to burn off any unburned fuel (HC) and CO. It has to eliminate or seriously reduce the levels of NOx. Retard your timing and try it again. But ask for a pretest so you don't waste your second (free) test.

Tensa_Zanget
02-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Nope. According to your emissions numbers, you have a lazy O2 sensor judging by the CO numbers. You want them to be anywhere near .20 or lower. You may wanna consider changing that sometime. But even then, that would show up under HC's meaning that the failing O2 sensor is causing the computer to dump fuel. But your HC's are in a controllable range so that's not part of the problem. The converter you bought is just like your stock converter; it's a 3 way catalyst. It has to get hot enough to burn off any unburned fuel (HC) and CO. It has to eliminate or seriously reduce the levels of NOx. Retard your timing and try it again. But ask for a pretest so you don't waste your second (free) test.

As u were saying about my O2 sensor, I dont have the O2 sensor installed at the moment after the swap cus before, i had a d series and its running a one wire o2 sensor so now i need a 4 wire O2 sensor. Surprisingly i still pass the other portion of the test w/o the O2 sensor. As u were saying about letting the cat warm up, i drove the car for about 10-15mins max due to no tag at the moment but will that really helps? As for the timinig i just got the timing light from a friend but i dont know what is the standard degree for a b20b. Also when u speak of timing which one ur talking about ignition timing or the other timing?

blackshine007
02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Ignition.

Tensa_Zanget
02-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Ignition.

What would be the standard timinig for a b20b or right spec i should time it too. What abou the O2 sensr could that also cause an incrase in the NOx?

btw thxs for all ur input

Me86Rob
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
sorry. i dont know anything about honda motors. i just know that is why my Z wouldnt pass emissions. ive got headers, and the feed to the EGR valve was only from one cylinder when it needed to be from 3. there just wasnt enough pressure to open/close the valve. and 350zftw got my car to pass. hes really good with emissions stuff

Tensa_Zanget
02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
sorry. i dont know anything about honda motors. i just know that is why my Z wouldnt pass emissions. ive got headers, and the feed to the EGR valve was only from one cylinder when it needed to be from 3. there just wasnt enough pressure to open/close the valve. and 350zftw got my car to pass. hes really good with emissions stuff

Oh i see. thxs for the help though. Does 350z do emission himself or he just knows stuff about emission?

Me86Rob
02-07-2009, 12:47 AM
he does them himself

Barefoot
02-07-2009, 12:51 AM
small yall putting this mans name out there all in the open. shit like that take to PMs.

Me86Rob
02-07-2009, 01:11 AM
small yall putting this mans name out there all in the open. shit like that take to PMs.

lol nothing illegal dude. i mean he just knows his shit. he can tell you whats wrong and fix it. he got me goin in no time for a good price. all legally. haha but yea i see where that could have been taken wrong

Tensa_Zanget
02-07-2009, 01:28 AM
lol nothing illegal dude. i mean he just knows his shit. he can tell you whats wrong and fix it. he got me goin in no time for a good price. all legally. haha but yea i see where that could have been taken wrong

HAHAHA for a second i thought the same thing! I was kind of puzzled at what no mo honda was saying too. Where is this place of his at?

Barefoot
02-07-2009, 02:20 AM
lol nothing illegal dude. i mean he just knows his shit. he can tell you whats wrong and fix it. he got me goin in no time for a good price. all legally. haha but yea i see where that could have been taken wrongcool just wanted to that clear.

Tensa_Zanget
02-07-2009, 12:46 PM
i tried pming 350zftw but havent got any reply from him yet. In the meantime anyone else know wat to do to reduce the NOx? I will be gtting a timing light soon from a friend, when i do i will try retarding the timing. Any good walk through to retard the timinig?

Tensa_Zanget
02-07-2009, 11:34 PM
please io need help!

Tensa_Zanget
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Btw, how u determine if u got a 3 way or 2 way cat that blackshine is refering to?

Tensa_Zanget
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
ttt