PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on wat car i should get

BURRITO_mike
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
ive got about 2 grand saved up and im really unsure of wat to get i want something old school but clean and cheap i really like the 1st gen rx7s but idk enough about rotaries and im not gettin paid enough to restore one to where its drivable, safe and somewat attractive (no rust or huge dents). i know i should save up more but my work is temp and i need some transportation if anyone can help me out it'd be great Thanks.

ksniperfox
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
youre already working so you already have a ride, right?

the work is temporary. as in, its ending soon? use whatever ride youre using now until this job ends, keep saving, use same ride for whatever job you get next, keep saving...

and if you find yourself just shit out of a job, you really wont need a car. and youll still have all that money saved up.

but to answer your question, i vote older civic. long as its stock. plentiful, cheap parts, reliable, best option IMO.

rx7=not very reliable, hard to source parts, probably been pretty ragged on.

BURRITO_mike
02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
actually the guy i work for picks me up, so no i dont have a ride
and yea its endin soon in the nxt two months or so
ive got jobs supposedly promised but we all kno how that goes, all the work ive done has been under the table, i cant get a real job because of the economy

and thanks for the advise

uproot
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
yeah, older honda would probably be your best bet for reliability etc...

ash7
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
if you want a reliable, cheap car... typically most Hondas are a safe bet.

-jonathan

TRD tC
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM
well.. considering just the 2 grand, not your future job or anything.. i'd go with a 4th (1986-1989) or 5th (1990-1993) gen celica. i bought a 4th gen for 450 bucks and a 5th gen for 1200 bucks. you could find them cheaper actually. lol.

performance potential is there. you can swap either 20v 4age or 3sgte depending on what trim you get. 4th gen gts comes with 3s-ge, awesome motor imo. chassis is fairly light to mid weight. little bit of suspension and you can corner quickly and easily.

as for reliability, my 4th gen died at 352k miles. my 5th gen is still running somewhere with over 200k miles.

hope that helps. ^ older civic suggestion is great too.

BURRITO_mike
02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
thanks alot for the knowledge TRD tC thats wat i was hopin for i really want somethin ol skool with potential power for when i have the cash. thanks everyone else too definatly lookin into the civics and crx's

TRD tC
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
np. i only suggested the celica cuz im in love with celica's. lol. if you have questions on fwd celica's, just pm me and i'll see if i can help.

matthewAPM
02-05-2009, 07:14 PM
ford pinto, geo metro, etc. they are all great cars

BURRITO_mike
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
wat about 82, 83 supras???

Barefoot
02-05-2009, 09:05 PM
craigslist.com

David88vert
02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
The 1st gen RX7s are extremely reliable if kept stock. I've had lots of them over 200K miles, and know of one near here that has never had any real work done and it's over 300K. However, in your situation, you have no need for a car yet, so save your money. Also, since it is you main source of transportation, why wouldn't you look for a newer vehicle - F150s sell for $2K all the time, and are plentiful. You can use that to make more money and get a better car later. Work on generating income first.

BURRITO_mike
02-11-2009, 04:47 PM
ok so im definately going for a honda ive got some homies settin me up with some odd jobs and hookim me up with parts thanks for all the knowlegde IA

VTECking
02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Here's a link for ya bro. You better REP me.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1030965753.html

Captain-Obvious™
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM

oh I did ;)

Big_Dave
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
In the old school department, the celica supra is a great candidate, they are quick, and can be boosted, handle pretty well and parts are still around for them, 1st gen rx7s are ok but you will have to dump at least a grand to make them happy to drive, and usually you wont get a 13b car, 12a cars a fun but usually they have carb problems and the lug pattern is very strange, so wheel options suck!
S12s are one of the most forgotten about cars in the Nissan world, and came boosted and v6, both are fun , and if you get your hands on a v6 car, their are plenty of junkyard parts to scarf for the engine and transmissions. And also the first gen maxima (910s) are a great platform, they handle suprisingly well and have a bullet proof motor in them. Finding them 5 speed is kind of hard but they are out their, and can easily go 250k miles, infact we have 2 one has 125k and the other has 300k and i still bounce that one off the rev limiter. Toyota's have several cars in that price range that can be nice, Any TE chassie is a awsome platform, the TE21-28s, are much older and hard to find in any decent shape but very desirable. The TE31-38's are much more commen, and can be found for cheep, if you look hard enough, and the TE72's are great cause they have a great engine and also have rear suspension that is closer to the AE86. I dont suggest AE86's cause with out a lot of money you will be limited on performance. There are also Coronas,Cressidas, and celicas.
There are a lot of diffrent choices out their, and it all depends on your style, but i can tell you for sure, you dont have to have a honda for a good old school car, Nissan, toyota, Mazda and other manufactures have done a good job in the past, and Any of the cars I listed can be made to do what ever you want in the future.
I hope i helped and if you have any more questions on old school cars, pm me:goodjob:

quickdodge®
02-11-2009, 10:38 PM
but to answer your question, i vote older civic. long as its stock. plentiful, cheap parts, reliable, best option IMO.

Are you joking? If not, where is this "plentiful, cheap parts" thing you're talking about? Because not only are a lot of parts NOT plentiful, but when you do finally find something, it is definitely NOT cheap. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM

I repped you as well, and although that Prelude is cool as hail, he said "old school." Later, QD.

NOCLUE
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda all the way

phcarmaster
02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah Honda is the best way. But I like to suggest that you just save up more until you get a more stable job. If you buy a car right now and in 2 months your job will end you will have no money to gas it up. Also if you save it you can buy a better car.

NOCLUE
02-12-2009, 02:29 AM
AGREE dont buy to buy hold off as long as you can

BURRITO_mike
02-12-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks man for the extra knowledge