PDA

View Full Version : First offical pic of BMW S1000 RR Street version.

EJ25RUN
02-04-2009, 07:07 AM
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/galleries/images/2009-BMW-S1000RR.jpg
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/galleries/images/2009-BMW-S1000RR-2.jpg
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/galleries/images/2009-BMW-S1000RR-3.jpg

Hellforleather....

Here's the 2009 BMW S1000RR, the road-going version of BMW's new World Superbike contender. Details are still sketchy, but it weighs 183kg (dry), has a 999cc inline four and will cost €15,150 ($19,438) when it goes on sales in Germany early this summer. Also present are ABS brakes and traction control, both tuned to be performance, as well as safety enhancing.

Update: The S1000RR will make its US debut at the Miller Motorsports Park SBK race on the weekend of May 29th. Motorcycles aren't expected to reach customers until the end of 2009.

Update 2: We've replaced the Germglish release with an official translation from BMW North America. It's more informative, but not quite as funny.

In comparison, the Ducati 1198 S, which is roughly equivalent on price, also uses traction control and will compete in SBK alongside the BMW S1000RR, weighs just 169kg (dry) and uses a 170bhp 1198cc v-twin. To be competitive, the 2009 S1000RR is going to need to make some serious power.

We're impressed by what we can see so far of the big BMW's looks. We're still trying to find a shot of the front, but indications are that this is a classy, understated machine fitted with high-specification components, we can't wait to see it in acid green and the red/white/blue tricolor. Make sure you take a close look at the wheels, which are incredibly delicate, contrasting well with the beefy swingarm.

The ABS uses four switchable modes, presumable allowing riders to adapt the system to their needs by altering its level of sensitivity. No word on whether or not it can be switched completely off.

Hit our BMW tag page for many more details and images of the race bike and don't forget you can enlarge the images in the gallery by clicking on them. They'll then expand to fit your browser window, whatever size that may be, but are actually 1280px wide, so you can use them as a desktop background if you save them.

The press release follows:

"Munich. Staff and fans of BMW Motorrad are looking forward to March 1st 2009 with great excitement. At the introductory race to the Superbike World Championship in Phillip Island / Australia, two BMW motorcycles will be in the starting line-up for the first time. After recent tests in Portimao and Valencia, riders Troy Corser and Ruben Xaus are optimistic about the future and the mood in the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team is positive. The racing bikes will be fairly close to serial production models, allowing for the greater audience identification characteristic of the sport. Behind the scenes meanwhile, production of the serial machine is getting underway: the BMW S 1000 RR.

The package of this completely newly developed motorcycle with its 999cc in-line 4-cylinder engine is very compact and light. The dry weight of the motorcycle is 183 kg.
Both its supreme performance figures and its outstanding riding properties make the BMW S 1000 RR an extremely attractive offer in the supersports segment.

The engine has a very compact cylinder head and is narrow in shape. The valves are activated by means of very small, light cam followers, virtually at Formula 1 level in terms of their dimensions. This construction ensures very high engine speeds and allows maximum freedom in engine design in terms of torque and output.

For the supersports bike BMW S 1000 RR, a completely newly developed sports ABS featuring four different modes as well as the dynamic traction control system DTC will be available. The functional principle of the traction control system has been borrowed directly from racing.

The distinctive design of the S 1000 RR reflects the general style of the segment but also clearly represents the brand BMW. The new S 1000 RR will be available in the four finishes Mineral Silver metallic, Acid Green metallic, Thunder Grey metallic and - based on the BMW Motorrad racing colours - Alpine White/Lupine Blue/Magma Red.

The serial production machine BMW S 1000 RR will be presented to the public in the early summer of 2009 but can already be ordered in dealerships. In 2009 the price of the S 1000 RR in Germany is 15,150 euros incl. VAT. "

chuck
02-04-2009, 08:28 AM
looks nice but at $19,000 i'll stick to the japs...
wish there was a better picture of the OEM exhaust

Sammich
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
DANG...BIMMER STEPPIN IT UP

ALVIN
02-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I've seen one of these on the back of a pickup a few months ago. Shits are baaaad. I was like wtf is that...then go to the other side and saw the Bimmer logo. DAAAAMN. It was white and black. Round the MOG area.

EJ25RUN
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I've seen one of these on the back of a pickup a few months ago. Shits are baaaad. I was like wtf is that...then go to the other side and saw the Bimmer logo. DAAAAMN. It was white and black. Round the MOG area.

"The S1000RR will make its US debut at the Miller Motorsports Park SBK race on the weekend of May 29th. Motorcycles aren't expected to reach customers until the end of 2009"

That pic is about a day old and i doubt any are being allowed in public by BMW. Maybe it was a boxer or another K bike?

On a SBK note, Corser is being considered the favorite for 09 now that Bayliss is a retiree but i cant see that as BMW has to much to learn in their first year. I doubt they will challenging for wins from the get go. I really see Haga on the 1098 to be taking his first crown this year. *fingers crossed*

btldzc
02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
IM GETTING ONE!

Cool Cat Racing
02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
No, no you didn't.

EJ25RUN
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
BMW finally updated the site.

http://www.s1000rr.com/

Phillip Island is less than 1 month away :yay:

I cant help but feel that most of the bikes being brought to testing are cause THEY KNOW Xaus will highside about half of them lol

Cool Cat Racing
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Its damn sexy that's for sure. We'll see how well it does on the track though.

ALVIN
02-08-2009, 12:31 AM
it was a BMW sportbike though...and it was a bodystyle that I had never seen before. That is why I thought it was this bike.