PDA

View Full Version : Exporting cars out of japan or the states

2.2L
02-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Let me tell you my current situation.

Currently I'm a college student residing in the states. I'm an American citizen but right now but my parents are supporting me by sending over funds I need from Korea. I'm taking classes online through University of Phoenix so I have the mobility to move out of the country and still finish my studies.

I bought my prelude about 4 years ago and I love the car(duh). I may be moving back to Korea to help alleviate my families financial situation. Currently they send about 2000 dollars to me every month, but as currency fluctuations and economic downturn is taking place it is putting more pressure on my family. Although they wish to keep me here and are able to, I found it more and more useless for me to reside in the states.

I wanted to know if anybody is familiar with exporting and importing cars internationally. I've definitely decided that whether I take my current car or another car that is bought in Japan to stick with a prelude since its always been the car I've enjoyed driving. To summarize my question here are the options that I have considered

1. Export my current prelude to Korea
2. Sell my current prelude and purchase a prelude in Japan and export it to Korea

Both has its pro's and con's concerning the car in question itself along with other factors such as money, time, legal. If I am going back to Korea it will be around the summer time, because currently my lease contract with my residence is going to terminate in may. I just want to be prepared ahead of time in the case I move back so, I would not be bogged down with paperwork and other details of my relocation.

I just want your suggestions, advice, connections, etc concerning the matter of the subject at hand,

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

P.S. this is a copy and paste from the preludepower.com forum. I know there might be a little bit of deviations, but overall the subject is the same.

speedminded
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I would strongly recommend selling your Prelude then purchase another [comparable] one overseas when needed for much less, not to mention the freight cost of shipping and hassle of paperwork there.