PDA

View Full Version : idle issue

integra2die4
02-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I have a 99 LS integra. The car idles just fine when I start it up. Once I hit the gas the idle will stick at 3500rpm. If I put my foot under the gas pedal and lift it up a bit, the rpms drop back to a normal 800 to 1000rpms. What causes this? It's very annoying. Do I need to clean the iacv? Thanks for any help

ash7
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
sounds to me like your throttle body could use a little cleaning or your throttle cable is a tad too tight.

Remove it and scrub it down with an old rag/toothbrush and a nice can of carb cleaner. Making sure to pay extra attention to where the butterfly plate comes in contact with the surrounding metal... it's probably just gummed itself up over the years.

And when you're re-installing it, do not put extra tension on the throttle cable... it doesn't need to be tight like a banjo string - just snug enough so your throttle pedal doesn't have any extra play.

:goodjob: - an easy problem to fix bro

-jonathan

Barefoot
02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
sounds to me like your throttle body could use a little cleaning or your throttle cable is a tad too tight.

Remove it and scrub it down with an old rag/toothbrush and a nice can of carb cleaner. Making sure to pay extra attention to where the butterfly plate comes in contact with the surrounding metal... it's probably just gummed itself up over the years.

And when you're re-installing it, do not put extra tension on the throttle cable... it doesn't need to be tight like a banjo string - just snug enough so your throttle pedal doesn't have any extra play.

:goodjob: - an easy problem to fix bro

-jonathanthats what i would do.

integra2die4
02-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Thats exactly what was needed!! Thanks se7en!! I really appreciate it

scttydb411
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
when tensioning the cable you should have around 1/8" of deflection.