PDA

View Full Version : Misc BJ Penn

Tuan
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
What the hell happened? I would have never thought that he would give up a fight like that. I'm quite disappointed by his performance last night, and i only say that cause he's one of my favorite fighters.

SleepingTalon
02-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm friends with BJ, and it was tough for me to watch. The good big man beat the good little man last night. It's a fight, and there's always gonna be a loser. Hopefully he comes back stronger, and fights in his natural weight class. GSP was so damn big...19lb weight advantage was just too much to overcome this time around.

4dmin
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
even w/o the 19lbs difference GSP would of done the same. BJ just didn't look fit enough to take the belt away from GSP. I like both fighters but man BJ was talking made shit about GSP tapping in a previous fight and his brother threw in the towel for him; someone is gonna have to eat his words.

IntegraXTR
02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
it seems that bj penn wasn't taking this seriously, when they showed footage of him back in hawaii he was just goofing off, his trainer even lied to the ceo for him. I like penn myself, but the better man did win. GSP jujitsu is just way better than penn. What a dissappointing fight.

Julio
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Who ever thought Penn had a chance.. was bananas..

Master Shake
02-01-2009, 07:56 PM
where can i see the fight at?
sucks i had it spoiled for me already, but i still wanna watch it.
GSP FTW!!!!

quickdodgeŽ
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Who ever thought Penn had a chance.. was bananas..

Carrasco. Watch your tongue, Julizzle. Later, QD.

santacruz77
02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
i thought he had a chance theres always a chance in fighting, but i would have never but it any money on him. but none the less how about guida idk how to spell.

o and the american "psyco" got his ass handed to him but jones that guys 21 hes gonna make it big

NevrNufTorq
02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
enjoyed it immensely(sp?).....always nice when the classy man wins :cheers:

santacruz77
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
eh i wouldnt call penn not classy lol

none the lesss gsp is a good fighter maybe to good thats why alot dont like him.

oh how about silva he got fucked also

NevrNufTorq
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
eh i wouldnt call penn not classy lol

none the lesss gsp is a good fighter maybe to good thats why alot dont like him.

oh how about silva he got fucked also
got nothing bad to say about penn, great fighter, but gsp is nothing but class imho....doesnt happen much so i'll take great champion and classy, upstanding guy while i can get it!!!!! we all know how rare are

the silva fight i didnt see coming at all :eek:

Tuan
02-02-2009, 12:45 AM
All in all GSP outclass Penn period! Penn talked all that shit and didn't back it up! To me, Penn giving up the fight made him seem like not a champion!..It's a surprise to me that Gsp coach are so fucking damn smart! They broke down the fight to limit BJ fighting style. It freaked me out when he was telling everyone about how he was trying to limit the blood flow to BJ arms to stiff him up. Amazing!

4dmin
02-02-2009, 07:58 AM
All in all GSP outclass Penn period! Penn talked all that shit and didn't back it up! To me, Penn giving up the fight made him seem like not a champion!..It's a surprise to me that Gsp coach are so fucking damn smart! They broke down the fight to limit BJ fighting style. It freaked me out when he was telling everyone about how he was trying to limit the blood flow to BJ arms to stiff him up. Amazing!

ya that shit was awesome i was like WTF :thinking: never thought it was that technical but i guess it goes to show the guy did his homework :goodjob:

Tuan
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, it was mindbottling!
ya that shit was awesome i was like WTF :thinking: never thought it was that technical but i guess it goes to show the guy did his homework :goodjob:

ka24boost
02-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Ok first the fight was stop by the docotor. Plus he was not as condition as he should have been because he was stuggling to gain the weight and keep it on. Plus Penn fight natural at light weight Gsp fight natural at light heavy weight. So it was just the pure fact that GSp was strong then penn. Dont worry Bj will be back and kick flores ass

Deke
02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I doubt it really changed the outcome, but did you see this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Did-GSP-s-corner-cheat-to-give-him-an-edge-?urn=mma,138156

ka24boost
02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Doubt it will but there will be a rematch

Ex_Vtec_Girl
02-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Ok first the fight was stop by the docotor. Plus he was not as condition as he should have been because he was stuggling to gain the weight and keep it on. Plus Penn fight natural at light weight Gsp fight natural at light heavy weight. So it was just the pure fact that GSp was strong then penn. Dont worry Bj will be back and kick flores ass

I thought the fight was stopped by somebody on his team...there was somebody on the other side of the cage waving a white towel :thinking:

The whole weight argument isn't really valid...he CHOSE to step up a class & fight. The was his decision & it apparently wasn't a good one.

Deke
02-02-2009, 09:07 PM
The whole weight argument isn't really valid...he CHOSE to step up a class & fight. The was his decision & it apparently wasn't a good one.

Just because BJ chose to fight at a larger weight doesn't mean the argument is invalid. He's not making excuses for himself or anything. It's just the case that you have two great fighters. One is heavier than the other, the bigger guy is more than likely going to win. No one is saying you should feel sorry for BJ because of it.

NevrNufTorq
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Just because BJ chose to fight at a larger weight doesn't mean the argument is invalid. He's not making excuses for himself or anything. It's just the case that you have two great fighters. One is heavier than the other, the bigger guy is more than likely going to win. No one is saying you should feel sorry for BJ because of it.
in some case so, but usually(used to do this for most of my income) it comes down to the training and natural ability of the fighter...couldnt tell you how many times i've got my a$$ whipped by a 160lbs guy...i always had the one punch power on my side and a huge advantage on the ground(college wrestler) but standing usually comes down to training if you take the one puch or one kick power out of it :2cents:

not taking anything away from bj, b/c next to gsp there has never been a fighter i have liked more except maybe hughes....just like when gsp lost to serra there is always another day, you see that now with griffin....how many he lost, come back and then lost again???? it's just like racing, you may have the faster car, but never underestimate the skill level of the other driver....just the way it is in my eyes and most fighters too :goodjob:

Tuan
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Ok first the fight was stop by the docotor. Plus he was not as condition as he should have been because he was stuggling to gain the weight and keep it on. Plus Penn fight natural at light weight Gsp fight natural at light heavy weight. So it was just the pure fact that GSp was strong then penn. Dont worry Bj will be back and kick flores assBJ said "I'm done". Then his brother kept asking him if he was sure and that's when he motion to the doctor that it was a wrap. The doctor did not call the fight due to the cut that was beneth the eye.

santacruz77
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
i like both fighters bj just doesnt belong in that wieght class at all hes not even a big light wieght.

Tuan
02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
he's found many times at 170 before.

ironchef
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
he's found many times at 170 before.He's 1-3 @ 170, obviously not a good weight for him.

alpine_aw11
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Penn needs to stop focusing on talking shit and work for these fights. He obviously didn't take GSP seriously. I thought Penn could potentially take it, but GSP was too versatile, and definitely too strong.

Brick
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cftg0m.gif

HeLLo iM iZzY
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
LOL @ the gif

SleepingTalon
02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Penn needs to stop focusing on talking shit and work for these fights. He obviously didn't take GSP seriously. I thought Penn could potentially take it, but GSP was too versatile, and definitely too strong.

This is just plain bullshit. Like I said, I know BJ, as does Carrascopa, and BJ trained his ass off for this fight. He didn't take GSP lightly, and you shouldn't believe everything you see on TV. There was A LOT of fancy editing to make BJ look one way, and GSP another. The whole idea was to show contrasts between the two guys. BJ was hyping a fight. There are no personal issues between him and GSP. He wanted to fight GSP because GSP is the BEST in the world at WW. BJ doesn't fight for money, or for belts. He fights for the challenge. He's amazingly gifted, and has shown it time and time again. With that said, GSP is ALSO very talented/gifted, and when two people of equal skill fight, the bigger/stronger guy will usually win.

If you look at their first fight, GSP was MAYBE 6lbs bigger than BJ. They were much closer in size. As the years have past (roughly 3yrs), GSP has almost outgrown the WW division, while BJ is still the same size. Instead of the guys being separated by 6lbs or so, there was a 20+lbs weight difference...too much to overcome. In the end, BJ chose to take on this challenge, but he didn't fall short because he didn't try. He trained for 5 months for this fight, and put everything he had into it. Hopefully he comes back strong, but I have a feeling that BJ will take a break from fighting for awhile. If he doesn't come back to defend his LW title, then so be it, but I didn't lose an ounce of respect for the guy. It takes a lot of balls to step up and fight the best guy in the world at a weight class above your own. You certainly don't see anyone else doing that.

Deke
02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
in some case so, but usually(used to do this for most of my income) it comes down to the training and natural ability of the fighter...couldnt tell you how many times i've got my a$$ whipped by a 160lbs guy...i always had the one punch power on my side and a huge advantage on the ground(college wrestler) but standing usually comes down to training if you take the one puch or one kick power out of it :2cents:

Well yeah, but that's not what I'm saying. Let's say you put the best heavy weight fighter in the world in the ring with the best light-heavy weight fighter in the world (this is hypothetical, don't try to think of anyone that actually exists for this argument). The Heavy weight guy is probably going to win.

I'm just saying, all things being equal, weight is definitely an important factor. Let's say you were wrestling that 160lb guy and you both had the same talent for wrestling and had trained equally. Do you think he could take you?

Haha, this discussion really isn't going anywhere in relation to this thread.

alpine_aw11
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
This is just plain bullshit. Like I said, I know BJ, as does Carrascopa, and BJ trained his ass off for this fight. He didn't take GSP lightly, and you shouldn't believe everything you see on TV. There was A LOT of fancy editing to make BJ look one way, and GSP another. The whole idea was to show contrasts between the two guys. BJ was hyping a fight. There are no personal issues between him and GSP. He wanted to fight GSP because GSP is the BEST in the world at WW. BJ doesn't fight for money, or for belts. He fights for the challenge. He's amazingly gifted, and has shown it time and time again. With that said, GSP is ALSO very talented/gifted, and when two people of equal skill fight, the bigger/stronger guy will usually win.

If you look at their first fight, GSP was MAYBE 6lbs bigger than BJ. They were much closer in size. As the years have past (roughly 3yrs), GSP has almost outgrown the WW division, while BJ is still the same size. Instead of the guys being separated by 6lbs or so, there was a 20+lbs weight difference...too much to overcome. In the end, BJ chose to take on this challenge, but he didn't fall short because he didn't try. He trained for 5 months for this fight, and put everything he had into it. Hopefully he comes back strong, but I have a feeling that BJ will take a break from fighting for awhile. If he doesn't come back to defend his LW title, then so be it, but I didn't lose an ounce of respect for the guy. It takes a lot of balls to step up and fight the best guy in the world at a weight class above your own. You certainly don't see anyone else doing that.

Even if he is training much harder than everyone says, he makes himself appear to embody the typical UFC douchebag attitude when he constantly talks down about the best in the world. He is one of the best in the world, but it seems to me like a lot of people turn away from guys like Penn who just run their mouth. He obviously has a lot of balls to step up, but if you're ill equipped like he was you don't portray yourself in that manner. And he was ill equipped. He's amazing and could stay on top of his division for a while, but he got man handled. Straight up. When he talked all the shit about Sherk and Pulver, he delivered. It was ok then because those two guys aren't even close to GSP. Why can't fighters be respectful? GSP won more than the fight, he clearly has twice the class as well.

SleepingTalon
02-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Even if he is training much harder than everyone says, he makes himself appear to embody the typical UFC douchebag attitude when he constantly talks down about the best in the world. He is one of the best in the world, but it seems to me like a lot of people turn away from guys like Penn who just run their mouth. He obviously has a lot of balls to step up, but if you're ill equipped like he was you don't portray yourself in that manner. And he was ill equipped. He's amazing and could stay on top of his division for a while, but he got man handled. Straight up. When he talked all the shit about Sherk and Pulver, he delivered. It was ok then because those two guys aren't even close to GSP. Why can't fighters be respectful? GSP won more than the fight, he clearly has twice the class as well.

Apparently you fail to understand that this is a business. With Pulver, there was history, so nothing needed to be said. They built a whole season of TUF around their fight. With Sherk, BJ didn't talk shit. He stated the truth. Sherk did in fact get busted for steroids, FACT. Either way, they both did what they had to do to hype the fight and make it big. After the fight was over, BJ even said during his post fight interview that he said what he said to hype the fight. The same thing with the GSP fight. There is no drama between the two guys, and they have no ill will towards each other, so it has to be CREATED. This is how you make money. BJ understands this. If you have 2 guys sucking each others dicks in every interview saying "oh he's so great, I think he's so awesome, it's gonna be a great fight, and blah blah blah", then no one will give a fuck. The Primetime series, much like every countdown show, was aimed at people who buy into the shit they see on TV...which apparently is most the people in this thread. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the UFC follows the WWE's business model. You CREATE stories, and CREATE stars, with the only difference being that MMA isn't predetermined.

Tuan
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
No offense, but why in every MMA thread do you have to tell us you know BJ or just got off the phone with him?!?!

SleepingTalon
02-02-2009, 11:35 PM
No offense, but why in every MMA thread do you have to tell us you know BJ or just got off the phone with him?!?!

Because people are making generalizations about his personality when they've never met the guy. Simple as that. It's no different than what I would do with anyone else I know if other people were talking about what kind of person they are.

Tuan
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I like BJ, he's one of my favorite fighters. I was just disappointed to see that he gave up the fight. I guess i was just expecting to see more out of him.

alpine_aw11
02-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Apparently you fail to understand that this is a business. With Pulver, there was history, so nothing needed to be said. They built a whole season of TUF around their fight. With Sherk, BJ didn't talk shit. He stated the truth. Sherk did in fact get busted for steroids, FACT. Either way, they both did what they had to do to hype the fight and make it big. After the fight was over, BJ even said during his post fight interview that he said what he said to hype the fight. The same thing with the GSP fight. There is no drama between the two guys, and they have no ill will towards each other, so it has to be CREATED. This is how you make money. BJ understands this. If you have 2 guys sucking each others dicks in every interview saying "oh he's so great, I think he's so awesome, it's gonna be a great fight, and blah blah blah", then no one will give a fuck. The Primetime series, much like every countdown show, was aimed at people who buy into the shit they see on TV...which apparently is most the people in this thread. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the UFC follows the WWE's business model. You CREATE stories, and CREATE stars, with the only difference being that MMA isn't predetermined.

The point comes down to a question. Who do you want to be, the guy who talks a ton of shit and loses, or the guy who stays fairly repectful, and then comes in and beats some ass. It's as simple as that. Shit talking does not equal performing well, and a fight like this doesn't need to be hyped up with it. As if anyone would lose interest in Penn vs. GSP because there wasn't a lot of shit talking going around. I don't care that I've never met him, he makes himself look like a complete asshole, that's his problem.

SleepingTalon
02-02-2009, 11:43 PM
I like BJ, he's one of my favorite fighters. I was just disappointed to see that he gave up the fight. I guess i was just expecting to see more out of him.

A lot of people were, but that's the fight game. There has to be a winner and a loser to every fight. I think a lot of people took for granted how much bigger/stronger GSP had gotten since their first fight. If you watch the first fight, and watch this fight, GSP is MUCH larger. He's pretty much outgrown the division. MMA weight jumps are big. It's not like boxing where 5lbs separates weight classes. Making jumps up at elite levels of the game is a big time move and a huge risk. Does anyone think the outcome will look any different when GSP fights Anderson Silva? Silva is gonna DESTROY GSP, and it'll be equally as ugly. He'll be giving up 20+lbs himself going into that fight, and won't be muscling anyone around.

SleepingTalon
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
The point comes down to a question. Who do you want to be, the guy who talks a ton of shit and loses, or the guy who stays fairly repectful, and then comes in and beats some ass. It's as simple as that. Shit talking does not equal performing well, and a fight like this doesn't need to be hyped up with it. As if anyone would lose interest in Penn vs. GSP because there wasn't a lot of shit talking going around. I don't care that I've never met him, he makes himself look like a complete asshole, that's his problem.

Yeah, you don't understand at all. This fight needed to be hyped. Neither of them was a PPV draw. Neither are household names. This wasn't Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Tito Ortiz, or Randy Couture.

It's not about losing interest, it's about drawing the casual fan. That has to be at the expense of someone, and it was BJ. Your shelf life in this game isn't huge. You gotta make money while you can. GSP understands this, as he even stated HIMSELF in the post fight press conference that "BJ was just hyping the fight and making it as big as he could". It worked very nicely too. As I can tell they drew your "emotional investment" in the fighters involved.

ironchef
02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't think I agree with the "neither of them are a ppv draw" comment. BJ/GSP aren't up to Lesnar's level of popularity. But they're definitely PPV draws in their own right.

SleepingTalon
02-02-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't think I agree with the "neither of them are a ppv draw" comment. BJ/GSP aren't up to Lesnar's level of popularity. But they're definitely PPV draws in their own right.

It's true. I can get you the PPV numbers for GSP and Penn's fights if you want. They aren't guaranteed draws. The backbone of the UFC's drawing power is Chuck, Randy, and Lesnar. Anderson, GSP, and BJ are not draws. What they were hoping is that they could create enough buzz to make one of them a draw for their next fight. It took a lot of hype, but they were hoping to break 1 million buys. Neither guy has done anywhere close to that, but between Primetime, media tours, etc, they hoped to get it there.

Tuan
02-02-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't think I agree with the "neither of them are a ppv draw" comment. BJ/GSP aren't up to Lesnar's level of popularity. But they're definitely PPV draws in their own right.I believe they are a bigger draw then Lesner. I would rather watch GSP or BJ fight over Lesner any day. GSP walks around at 190 right?

SleepingTalon
02-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I believe they are a bigger draw then Lesner. I would rather watch GSP or BJ fight over Lesner any day. GSP walks around at 190 right?

Yeah, GSP is right at 190lbs, give or take a pound or two. I agree, I would rather watch GSP or BJ fight. Hardcore fans love to watch GSP and BJ fight, but hardcore fans aren't the ones that pay the bills. You have to cater to the casual fans, and the casual fans want guys like Brock, Chuck and Randy. They are the closest things you have to household names. Brock is a physical specimen, and people love to see him because he's a BEAST of a guy. It's just the way shit is. No way BJ or GSP are bigger draws...not even close.

4dmin
02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Yeah, GSP is right at 190lbs, give or take a pound or two. I agree, I would rather watch GSP or BJ fight. Hardcore fans love to watch GSP and BJ fight, but hardcore fans aren't the ones that pay the bills. You have to cater to the casual fans, and the casual fans want guys like Brock, Chuck and Randy. They are the closest things you have to household names. Brock is a physical specimen, and people love to see him because he's a BEAST of a guy. It's just the way shit is. No way BJ or GSP are bigger draws...not even close.

honestly best fight to me was the machita fight - i like fights like that b/c there is less known about the fighteres and fights are normally good; headlining fights alot of times are just plain boring. even with a 20 lbs weight difference BJ just didn't look like he had the fire in his eyes. GSP came in to win.

NevrNufTorq
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
great discussion guys, love it when we can all base our views w/o alot of the drama that surrounds alot of this site nowadays!!!! :cheers:

Tuan
02-03-2009, 09:07 AM
I hate Dan White...Sorry i had to get that out...I think he's the biggest dickhead in the UFC and needs to just let the fighters do their own thing..I was watching the fight with my manager, who trains under Paul Creighton...He was telling me that Paul told him, when BJ hit's you it feels like he has a sack of coins in his hands.

Deke
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
honestly best fight to me was the machita fight

x2

Ex_Vtec_Girl
02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Does anyone think the outcome will look any different when GSP fights Anderson Silva?

:eek: Is that scheduled??? Or are you just using them as an example?

ironchef
02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
:eek: Is that scheduled??? Or are you just using them as an example?Its tentative, after GSP fights Alves, and Silva fights Leites and potentially Okami.

Maniacc
02-03-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.cagepotato.com/bj-penns-camp-files-formal-complaint-over-vaseline-st-pierres-back-between-rounds

Has anyone seen this shit yet? I personally never knew smearing vaseline on your back would cause your fist to continually bash someones' face in.

I'm going to make sure I try that next time.

ironchef
02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.cagepotato.com/bj-penns-camp-files-formal-complaint-over-vaseline-st-pierres-back-between-rounds

Has anyone seen this shit yet? I personally never knew smearing vaseline on your back would cause your fist to continually bash someones' face in.

I'm going to make sure I try that next time.Haha yea, when I read that story I loled hard. The retarded ass excuses they come up with....

Tuan
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE= I personally never knew smearing vaseline on your back would cause your fist to continually bash someones' face in.

I'm going to make sure I try that next time.[/QUOTE]
That's not the point. Vaseline is a lubricant, which I'm sure you know from experience, and could play a role when you need grip. And most BJJ people (Bj bread and butter) will tell you, that it's hard to grab someone when and perform a choke/submission when their all sweaty. Hence why most people will train with and without the gi.

ironchef
02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
That's not the point. Vaseline is a lubricant, which I'm sure you know from experience, and could play a role when you need grip. And most BJJ people (Bj bread and butter) will tell you, that it's hard to grab someone when and perform a choke/submission when their all sweaty. Hence why most people will train with and without the gi.They also wiped off the vaseline, so it was a non factor. Especially by the end of the 4th round both would've been naturally sweaty anyway, so that wouldve affected his grip more than any vaseline residue. But it doesn't even matter, vaseline doesn't make your punches land on someones face. Vaseline also doesnt prevent the other person from trying to cover up, switch positions, or scramble to get out from the bottom.

Master Shake
02-03-2009, 06:08 PM
They also wiped off the vaseline, so it was a non factor. Especially by the end of the 4th round both would've been naturally sweaty anyway, so that wouldve affected his grip more than any vaseline residue. But it doesn't even matter, vaseline doesn't make your punches land on someones face. Vaseline also doesnt prevent the other person from trying to cover up, switch positions, or scramble to get out from the bottom.vaseline is used to keep the person's sweat from interferring with the fighters. it allows to person to see without having shit constantly getting in their eyes, and i don't know if you have ever had sweat in your eye, but that shit doesn't feel too nice.

and the fight, penn didn't seem to care to much about the fight, its like he was like "whatever", kinda like he didn't have the heart to win the match. GSP came in with a fire in his eyes, wanting to take the win and keep his title as top dog for his division. i was pulling for gsp and i thought it was gonna be a lot better of a fight than what it was. when penn was on the ground, it just kinda seemed like he was just trying to avoid getting hit over trying to take a more dominate position or trying to advance from the bottom position.
i think this has to be one of penn's weakest fights, and from the look of it, didn't seem like he should have been fighting. almost to a point where he didn't take it all that serious.

ka24boost
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
First of do any of ya fight my guess is not. Even if you check the ufc web site it say that the fight was tko due to a tko doc stoppage. Vaseline effect a fighter more then what you think. You get tired as shit trying to do submission if you cant grip them . Also vaseline is water proof so it remain slipperly. Pj step up to the challenger and fought and lost with pride. Every fighter talk shit it the sport some win some lose.

Tuan
02-03-2009, 07:16 PM
First of do any of ya fight my guess is not. Even if you check the ufc web site it say that the fight was tko due to a tko doc stoppage. Vaseline effect a fighter more then what you think. You get tired as shit trying to do submission if you cant grip them . Also vaseline is water proof so it remain slipperly. Pj step up to the challenger and fought and lost with pride. Every fighter talk shit it the sport some win some lose.I have it recorded on DVR and we replayed it about 15 times. I have about 23 people that will tell you BJ said he was done. I know they said it was a doctor stoppage when they raised GSP hand. But if you watch the video BJ's brother said to the doctor that they were done. Like i said im not being bias im just telling you the facts. Watch the video again and listen to the audio.

Deke
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Lol, I posted the a link about the vaseline in the first page. Glad to see that everyone reads my posts. I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the fight, but it's definitely not something that should be happening.

Maniacc
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Isn't it pathetic how even after an ass beating the likes of which GSP gave BJ that BJ Penn fans will still say anything they can? I've already seen it on numerous mma/shit talking forums.

... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Penn was robbed. He clearly wanted to continue the fight. And IMO, he would have knocked GSP out in the 5th round. He was just waiting for GSP to tire himself out. I would demand an immediate rematch if I were Penn. /sarcasm

BJ Penn and his camp and his fans just need to have some fucking dignity and accept the fact that he lost. It wasn't even close. They are clinging to this like its their only hope and it's just pathetic.

Maniacc
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
First of do any of ya fight my guess is not. Even if you check the ufc web site it say that the fight was tko due to a tko doc stoppage. Vaseline effect a fighter more then what you think. You get tired as shit trying to do submission if you cant grip them . Also vaseline is water proof so it remain slipperly. Pj step up to the challenger and fought and lost with pride. Every fighter talk shit it the sport some win some lose.
Wrestling and boxing is what I do.

And I understand the whole respect another fighter 'n shit. But this is the interwebs.

Maniacc
02-03-2009, 09:23 PM
That's not the point. Vaseline is a lubricant, which I'm sure you know from experience, and could play a role when you need grip. And most BJJ people (Bj bread and butter) will tell you, that it's hard to grab someone when and perform a choke/submission when their all sweaty. Hence why most people will train with and without the gi.
So did the vasoline cause BJ to get fat and gas after the first round? Maybe they clogged up BJ's nose with it so he couldn't breathe. Or maybe just maybe it was because BJ did as he always does and didn't do any fucking cardio before the fight and gassed.

But no matter what this is BJ's way of getting a GSP vs Penn 3.

I'd also like to add that GSP dumps water on his head and back right before nurse/Jackson applied the vaseline. If the application was intentional, dumping the water would be counter-productive.

Just makes me think they weren't doing anything outside of normalcy.

But hey, Tuan has rubbed vaseline on more men than a 20 dollar hooker, he clearly knows what happens when your back is full of vaseline. :D

BanginJimmy
02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Plain and simple, when you put 2 people of equal talent into a fight, the bigger guy will win 8 of 10 fights.

Alot of people will say that Penn was outclassed and all that but I think you simply saw the weight difference. Penn was heavier than he is used to fighting at and that sapped energy from him, on top of that he spent alot of time in the first round fighting in the clench, which is tiring in itself. The second and third he was on his back and sapping more strength.

If GSP stepped into the octagon with Spider Silva I think we would see much the same outcome. The bigger guy dominating the match, though I do think Spider finishes it.

A question though, will the way GSP was walked through 170, and walked through BJ Penn, will he start getting pressure to move up and take a shot at Spider in the near future?

Deke
02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
So did the vasoline cause BJ to get fat and gas after the first round? Maybe they clogged up BJ's nose with it so he couldn't breathe. Or maybe just maybe it was because BJ did as he always does and didn't do any fucking cardio before the fight and gassed.

I'd also like to add that GSP dumps water on his head and back right before nurse/Jackson applied the vaseline. If the application was intentional, dumping the water would be counter-productive.

But hey, Tuan has rubbed vaseline on more men than a 20 dollar hooker, he clearly knows what happens when your back is full of vaseline. :D

I don't think anyone on here has said that it's the reason BJ lost. So I have no idea why you're on this tirade.

Maniacc
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't think anyone on here has said that it's the reason BJ lost. So I have no idea why you're on this tirade.
They don't need to say it.

It's obvious that a lot of people think that might've been the reason he got worked.

Deke
02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
They don't need to say it.

It's obvious that a lot of people think that might've been the reason he got worked.

I certainly don't see that. People are just pointing out the fact that it shouldn't be going on. Who knows how much actually ended up on his back. It probably wasn't intentional. That doesn't change the fact that spreading a lubricant on someone's back can be an advantage.

I said when I originally posted the vaseline story, when the vaseline story was reposted, and I'm saying again now, I do not believe that it was the reason BJ lost.

Maniacc
02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I certainly don't see that. People are just pointing out the fact that it shouldn't be going on. Who knows how much actually ended up on his back. It probably wasn't intentional. That doesn't change the fact that spreading a lubricant on someone's back can be an advantage.

I said when I originally posted the vaseline story, when the vaseline story was reposted, and I'm saying again now, I do not believe that it was the reason BJ lost.
Look here, guy.

I posted what needed to be said. I don't care what anyone else posted! :D I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Even if they agree with me.

Deke
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Look here, guy.

I posted what needed to be said. I don't care what anyone else posted! :D I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Even if they agree with me.

Lol. Touche :D

Tuan
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Im not saying he lost the fight due to the vaseline, i'm just saying it could play a factor. And plus it's not my fault costco had a sale on the shit!