PDA

View Full Version : My neighborhood towed my car

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a car that was being stored at a friends place. I had to have the car moved so I asked one of the property managers about it. He said it would be fine and I thought that was the end of it. I also called and left a message with one of the other known property managers.

I put the car in the back of the neighborhood where it's supposedly for long term storage. Well I come back a few weeks later and my car has been towed. So after several phone calls with no return calls I finally find out where my car is. By this time it's been almost a month. By this time the bill is already up to +$500.

The manager I talked to said he was trying to get the head management to pay half the bill. This is not acceptable. I was told I could put the car there. My car was covered with a tarp but my phone number is on the car in two places. There are no signs anywhere in the neighborhood that says I cannot park the car there long term. I was never given any notice that the car was going to be towed. When I went to the car lot there wasn't any form of citation stating my car was in any kind of violation.

Apparently there where newsletters sent out to my landlord that stated that all cars had to have a tag on them, but I never received that information. For all I knew I was covered because two of the managers knew my car was there. So now my car is probably about to be sold in an auction and I can't afford to get it out right now. I've called the two of the main managers (the ones that can actually do something about it) several times and left messages and have not gotten a call back. I've even called the management at the towing place to and left messages and no reply from them either.

I'm about to go to the police station to find out what exactly are my rights in this kind of situation.

What can I do about this? How do I go about it?

DVSRX-7
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
contact the police for info on code enforements and violations...

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 07:52 PM
contact the police for info on code enforements and violations...

Yeah that is my next step. I'm going up there either tomorrow or Monday.
I don't even know who authorized the tow. If it was a property manager as far as I'm concerned the car is stolen.

Jiggity96
01-31-2009, 07:55 PM
burn down the neighborhood i would be furious maybe contact an attorney

Halfwit
01-31-2009, 07:57 PM
whats done to it, and what kind of car?

i may buy it from the tow company....lol

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 08:00 PM

Fuck you

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know how long before the can legally sell my car? I'm about to go off into training for 14 weeks so I won't be able to do anything while I'm there.

stephen
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
it all depends on what city you live in (i'm assuming atlanta from your location thingy). most cities/counties don't allow inoperable and non tagged vehicles to be kept on both public AND private property.

i had the samething happen to me last year with one of my cars IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY. i actually received a citation and warning that next time it will be towed. i spoke to the code enforcement officer and he basically said that i needed to put the car in the garage or put a cover on it. if it was in the garage, they can't legally go into your "dwelling." with the car cover while parked on your private property, they can't legally lift the cover off of the vehicle. in your case...i'd consider the property public which makes the rules a little different. personally...i'd just let management pay half, and you spend the rest to get your car back.

here's some code enforcement info for the city of atlanta: http://www.atlantaga.gov/howdoi/faq.aspx

Report an Abandoned Car?

To report a violation, call 404.330.6190.

There are two(2) kinds of abandoned vehicles:

Any non-functioning vehicle or any vehicle, which cannot be operated on the public roads.

A junk vehicle is any vehicle, which is non-operable, or any vehicle, which does not bear a current tag and state sticker, if required.
It is unlawful to allow, keep, maintain, or store an inoperable vehicle on public or private property in the City of Atlanta.

It is unlawful to allow substandard conditions to exist in Housing. Violators are subject to nuisance abatement or prosecution in Municipal Court.

It is also unlawful to litter, dump or allow the existence of overgrowth on vacant lots.

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 08:12 PM
I wonder if I can take them to small claims to get them to pay for it.

If management can get the towing company to drop the storage charges I will pay to have it towed to another place.

Got Milk?
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
you should have bought a cover for you car, that way they wont know if your car is registered or not. I have a neighbor who does that, and his car has been sitting here for 2 years now.

xdavidscenex
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM

lmfao:lmfao:

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
you should have bought a cover for you car, that way they wont know if your car is registered or not. I have a neighbor who does that, and his car has been sitting here for 2 years now.

It does have a cover on it.

Halfwit
01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
i forgot about the "abandoned vehicle" laws. im calling in a few that are in my neighborhood, to the city monday. sweet.

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 08:23 PM
i forgot about the "abandoned vehicle" laws. im calling in a few that are in my neighborhood, to the city monday. sweet.

lol trying to collect huh?

Halfwit
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
lol trying to collect huh?
nah, but as i drive to my house each day, i see this old ass (early 80s?) POS chevy, that is rusted out. been like that since i moved here (5 months) i think it has a tag, but its out of date. i think it would be nice to not have to look at it. make the dude put it in his garage and park his lexus outside.

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 08:31 PM
This car has been a total hassle since I got it. Once I start getting paid I'm going to fix it up and start driving it again.

DarwinsA32
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
This car has been a total hassle since I got it. Once I start getting paid I'm going to fix it up and start driving it again.

I think they can sell after a month i'm not sure so take that with a grain of salt. Shit is gay dude, those code enforement mother fuckers are like the SA making sure everyone's swastika flag is hanging correctly and hitler salutes are being issued. just proof that "the man" is OUT to fuck you .

Friggintitsman
01-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't think it's a month. It depends on the state.

IndianStig
02-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Seriously though what type of car is it?

If they sell it you could probably take the neighborhood association to court for the value of the car.

Friggintitsman
02-01-2009, 08:24 AM
RHD Prelude

Halfwit
02-01-2009, 08:29 AM
RHD Prelude
:ninja:

la la la......

Friggintitsman
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
:ninja:

la la la......

lol I was reluctant to say anything, but I don't care because I will be keeping my car.

dabuilding
02-01-2009, 10:10 AM
well it is illegal to park a car without a tag i was getting hassled before i got mine and it was in my backyard but i have heard about illegal towing companys just taking cars and getting the money cause people dont know they havent done anything gl man