PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card or Camera Issue?

rickgiblin
01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I am having a problem with my camera that I need a little advice with. I have a Nikon D40, and I am using external memory in the form of an SD card. When reviewing photos on the camera and zooming in to take a closer look, the camera seems to lose portions of the photo and blocks them out with "noise." It didn't bother me too much until I went to transfer those photos onto my computer, and each photo I attempted the aforementioned on is severely damaged. Could a damaged memory card cause something like this, or is my camera in need of a doctor visit?

I do not have another memory card on me to test at the moment... just wondering if anyone has had an issue similar to this before.

Nemesis
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Can you post an example with it at 100 percent crop? IF you are losing portions of the photo in the same spot on all your photos it could be an issue with your image sensor.

rickgiblin
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Here are a couple shots. This is what it looks like when I upload it to the computer. It only does this to shots that I zoom in on on the camera. No adjustments other than resizing the photo.

The white space and overlap are filled with noise when viewing on camera, but only when zooming in.

boostedb16
01-30-2009, 04:52 PM
did you format you card for the d40? i had the noise problem before when i got my d40 and used a sd card from another camera. i formatted it for the d40 and it was fine.

rickgiblin
01-30-2009, 04:56 PM
did you format you card for the d40? i had the noise problem before when i got my d40 and used a sd card from another camera. i formatted it for the d40 and it was fine.

Yes. The card has been formatted. I originally thought that may have been the issue, so I removed my photos and reformatted the card. Still having the same issue.

87 Turbo II
01-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Hows the firmware on the D40? Is it up to date? That looks like a serious problem, I hope you resolve it.

imbosile
01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Wow I've never seen anything like that before. I hope someone can shed some light on your problem.

rickgiblin
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Hows the firmware on the D40? Is it up to date? That looks like a serious problem, I hope you resolve it.

Firmware is up to date....

Wow I've never seen anything like that before. I hope someone can shed some light on your problem.

Me either... I'm hoping someone can help.

boostedb16
01-31-2009, 09:58 AM
have you contacted nikon?

Princess12
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
have you contacted nikon?

Not yet. We were hoping that with all the photographers on here that someone would know how to correct this, but I'm starting to figure out this is something beyond a "quick-fix." I will be contacting Nikon today.

james
01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
a little googling usually helps more than asking here:

there is a reset button under the connector cover. (See page 118 in your manual.)

or

In your menu under Custom Setting Menu, choose Menu Reset

Princess12
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
a little googling usually helps more than asking here:

or

Thanks for the advice, but we have already reset the menus on the camera.

james
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, but we have already reset the menus on the camera.

??? you aren't the OP....also, i provided 2 info things. one was a memory reset like you tried, the other was a hard reset. Did you try both?

boostedb16
01-31-2009, 11:06 PM
??? you aren't the OP....also, i provided 2 info things. one was a memory reset like you tried, the other was a hard reset. Did you try both?yea i would try this ^^^^^^

rickgiblin
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Princess is my wife, and yes, we have done hard resets on the camera.

Jaimecbr900
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
To isolate the problem to the either the camera or the card, go buy a cheap SD card and pop it in. If after properly formatted the problem looks the same.....you can narrow it back to the camera. If not, then it's a cheap fix by getting another card.

Good luck. :goodjob:

jennnay
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I would definitely try replacing your memory card first, if that doesn't fix it then it may be your DG (digital imaging) board. It couldn't be your sensor or your shutter..i can say i've never seen something like that before :thinking: