PDA

View Full Version : possible grounding issue?!

Master Shake
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
i just swapped a single zc into a 95 civic ex coupe.
everything is hooked up but when i turn the switch over, you can hear the power cutting in and out, battery is hooked up, but when i go to turn the car over all power cuts out. i tried checking to make sure all the wiring for the engine and ECU is hooked together firmly and it is.
anyone have any suggestion as to what is going on with the car?

jmmx258
01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
did you ground the chassis to motor? I just put a B18 in virtually the same car, and had the same issues.

Turned out my OE ground cables were corroding and needed replaced. To test the thought of them being junk, I simply hooked jumper cables to the motor then to the chassis. Car fired right up. Replaced the cables, and its running fine now

EmminoDaGreat
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Check the ground on the thermostat, also the one on the tranny that goes to the chassis.

EmminoDaGreat
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Also make sure your starter solenoid wire is not touching the main power.

Master Shake
01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
chasis and motor have ground wires running to em, and hooked the starter up the exact way when i pulled the motor out of the old civic DX and tranny is grounded to the chasis.
when i got the car, the original dash was taken out and had a GSR dash put in, all the wiring was ran and everything.

i thought the terminals on my battery were bad, but lucky me i kept all the batteries from previous cars that i've owned. so i got a few laying around, and i make sure they keep a charge cause every other week i'll hook one up to my battery charger and check it to make sure.

but its also NOT just the motor, like my windows and sunroof and shit are doign the same thing!!! very sluggish going up or down, and what not.

xdavidscenex
01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Check the ground on the thermostat, also the one on the tranny that goes to the chassis.

x2

EmminoDaGreat
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Oh, well sounds like you have more issues to attack...

Master Shake
01-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh, well sounds like you have more issues to attack...its why i think there is some other wiring problem.

the car has had the GSR dash in it for a long time, like a few years a friend of mine had the car with a turbo GSR in it, and everything was fine, as far as i know of, only a couple of motors have been swapped thru it but no messing with the wiring in the dash. i could be wrong though. i double checked all the grounds for the motor/chasis and everything seems to be firmly connected.

Master Shake
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
anyone else have any input of whats going on?

Sammich
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
SORRY DUDE..EVERYTHING I THOUGHT OF HAS BEEN COVERED..KEEP US ABREAST OF WHAT HAPPENS.

Master Shake
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
SORRY DUDE..EVERYTHING I THOUGHT OF HAS BEEN COVERED..KEEP US ABREAST OF WHAT HAPPENS.i will. i know a few mechanics, so i'll see if i can get one of them to come check it out and see what they tell me is going on.

although i didn't figure out why my driver side window was messed up, the track inside was mangled up and bent out of shape and kept throwing my window off track. but i'm fixin that now.

and the starter, when i turn the car over, it will click, but thats it. the grounds under the hood i have triple checked and its still not impoving, so maybe the grounds are bad?! i dont know, i'll try the jumper cable thing as soon as i can get a chance to.

2rotor
01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
it sounds to me like your battery terminals on the cables suck, you didnt say if you cleaned the cable ends either (at the battery and chassis/motor), you just said the engine chassis had grounds and they were firmly connected.
also, have you tried bypassing the ignition switch to rule it out? maybe just putting a voltmeter on the terminals to make sure you have ~12v in and ~12v out where it should be.

Master Shake
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
it sounds to me like your battery terminals on the cables suck, you didnt say if you cleaned the cable ends either (at the battery and chassis/motor), you just said the engine chassis had grounds and they were firmly connected.
also, have you tried bypassing the ignition switch to rule it out? maybe just putting a voltmeter on the terminals to make sure you have ~12v in and ~12v out where it should be.i did try cleaning the posts on the battery but it could be the connecting terminals, not really sure, so i'll get down the Advance and pick up some new ones. i think they're only like 5-10 bucks, so it shouldn't be to bad.

six7teen
01-31-2009, 02:56 AM
have you tried jumpin the car from another one?? try it on the battery first.. if that doesnt work, connect the jumpers directly to the starter and a good ground point.. see if it still does it after that..