PDA

View Full Version : lol @ the reverend swearing Obama in...

ash7
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
So what is the deal with Reverend Joseph Lowery?

I'm sure everyone noticed how he ended the swearing in ceremony...

"we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around... when yellow will be mellow... when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

Embracing what is right? Which era is this guy living in anyways?

Finally, what is with the yellow - mellow reference? geez

that is all /rant
-jonathan

Nang
01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
the chinks!

AirMax95
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
What is the problem? Do you even know who Rev. Joseph Lowery is?

Rev. Lowery was a 1960's Civil Rights leader. He took an old, common chant that grew out of that era and changed it to express hope for a day when all races do better. The old version goes:

If you're white, you're right.

If you're yellow, you're mellow.

If you're brown, stick around.

If you're black, get back.

Rev. Lowery changed it to the following:

"[I]n the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back . . . when brown can stick around . . . when yellow will be mellow . . . when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

I don't find it offensive to call on people to embrace what is right. I tell my children that all the time. Nor do I find it offensive to wish for good things for all races. The Reverend took an old saying and changed it from a given fact of racism to one of hope and change for a day completely without racism. I thought he was a cute old man and I appreciated his benediction.

The Ninja
01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
http://smartassery.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/Cat-YouJustGotServed.jpg

BanginJimmy
01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't find it offensive to call on people to embrace what is right

I agree with you, but the last line can be very easily interpreted differently. For the record I dont think Lowry intended anything derogatory with his comment. He was much like King in peaceful demonstration and not stooping to the level of their 'enemies' in the struggle as that would only lead to more animosity between the races.

blackboi50
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
everybody is know watching every little word that comes out of black peoples mouth and turning it into something else!!!!.....1

AirMax95
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
everybody is know watching every little word that comes out of black peoples mouth and turning it into something else!!!!.....1

My #1 gripe. Even further, some people are not taking the time to look at the words. Doc Lowery is the LAST person that you will EVER call racist, yet on several forums people say his words were beyond racist.

I tell ya, man......

blackboi50
01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
My #1 gripe. Even further, some people are not taking the time to look at the words. Doc Lowery is the LAST person that you will EVER call racist, yet on several forums people say his words were beyond racist.

I tell ya, man......

yea man!!! i know about the dude too!!!.......man its gotten to the point where i let people say whatever the fuck they wanna and i try not to react!!!......1

BanginJimmy
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Welcome to life as a white man. Whether you agree or not every white man has been walking on eggshells when disgreeing with a black person. I cant remember what McCain said, but it was a "you people" type of comment that was blown up to be racist when it obviously was not.

AirMax95
01-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Welcome to life as a white man. Whether you agree or not every white man has been walking on eggshells when disgreeing with a black person. I cant remember what McCain said, but it was a "you people" type of comment that was blown up to be racist when it obviously was not.

Welcome to life as a white man? Are you freaking serious, lol!

OH-MY-GOSH, what the Hail!

Dude,.......shit.....arghhhhh :no:

blackboi50
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM

i hear ya dude!!! didnt think of it that way!!......but now its changed and its worse!!!

im speaking for myself but when i talkk to people in groups or at parties i dont have to look around to see if im gonna be offending another race!!!....its its some degrading shit i just wont say it!!!.........1

blackboi50
01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Welcome to life as a white man? Are you freaking serious, lol!

OH-MY-GOSH, what the Hail!

Dude,.......shit.....arghhhhh :no:

cmon man hes right too!!!! its just all coming back to play now in 2009 with all races.....but mostly white to black/ black to white!!!....1

BanginJimmy
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
im speaking for myself but when i talkk to people in groups or at parties i dont have to look around to see if im gonna be offending another race!!!....its its some degrading shit i just wont say it!!!.........1

I'm not talking about someone making obviously racist comments as those are not acceptbale in any context. I am only talking about those minor slips that are sometimes twisted to be become racist.

stephen
01-22-2009, 11:59 PM

lol...come on man. after reading some of the stuff you've said on here...why wouldn't someone interpret some of the things you say "as a white man" any different??? i'm sure you could careless, but i told you before, i had a lot of respect for you prior to the end of the election. you had some of the most intelligent discussions, some of which made me even re-think my position on the election. as it came to a close, it's almost like your TRUE COLORS bled through.

welcome to life as a white man???? lol, yeah you and a few of your buddies did a fine job at introducing others into that "LIFE."

i highly doubt multiple comments in reference to black people being on welfare constitutes a "minor slip."

Humphrizzle
01-23-2009, 12:09 AM
everyone in here has shown racist attitudes toward each other besides blackboi.

stephen
01-23-2009, 02:40 AM
everyone in here has shown racist attitudes toward each other besides blackboi.

the difference is only a select few opt to make a new thread/post every other day complaining about how "the _______ (insert color here) man is so racist!"

some need to understand that EVERYONE experiences some form of racism/sexism/etc. at multiple points in life. categorizing one group of people because of a few bad experiences isn't warranted. ignorance tends to be a pet peeve of mine...hence, why i tend to get fed up with it, and express myself accordingly. it just so happens...there are more members on this site that say some of the most ignorant shit about black people, and i sometimes take serious offense to it. i'm not going to sit here and lie to you (or anyone else for that matter) and say "well...that's just how ALL white people are." there's a lot of folks who do just that though...make ignorant ass statements, then cry wolf when someone pulls THEIR CARD (no...that's not the race card). that's the shit that keeps racism alive...not obama, the black people who rally for him, black history month, BET, rev. joseph lowery, FOX NEWS, msnbc, cnn, etc.

there has been, and continues to be more post in a day in reference to race, than there are about jobs....and we don't even have a "RACE/RACISM" section! if we had one, it'd get more hits than any car/wallstreet section. bottom line...some people need to take responsibility for their own actions, educate themselves, and just quit bitching.

AirMax95
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
the difference is only a select few opt to make a new thread/post every other day complaining about how "the _______ (insert color here) man is so racist!"

some need to understand that EVERYONE experiences some form of racism/sexism/etc. at multiple points in life. categorizing one group of people because of a few bad experiences isn't warranted. ignorance tends to be a pet peeve of mine...hence, why i tend to get fed up with it, and express myself accordingly. it just so happens...there are more members on this site that say some of the most ignorant shit about black people, and i sometimes take serious offense to it. i'm not going to sit here and lie to you (or anyone else for that matter) and say "well...that's just how ALL white people are." there's a lot of folks who do just that though...make ignorant ass statements, then cry wolf when someone pulls THEIR CARD (no...that's not the race card). that's the shit that keeps racism alive...not obama, the black people who rally for him, black history month, BET, rev. joseph lowery, FOX NEWS, msnbc, cnn, etc.

there has been, and continues to be more post in a day in reference to race, than there are about jobs....and we don't even have a "RACE/RACISM" section! if we had one, it'd get more hits than any car/wallstreet section. bottom line...some people need to take responsibility for their own actions, educate themselves, and just quit bitching.

This is how I feel. I can't believe I waste my day sometimes reading the post that are made. Everyday or two there is a new one. I could be wrong, but if so then call me on it; its always ABOUT black people. I feel like I am playing freedom fighter.

I know what Racism is and when to call it. Some people on this board exemplify the word ten fold. The others are just ignorant waste of human beings.

BanginJimmy
01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
lol...come on man. after reading some of the stuff you've said on here...why wouldn't someone interpret some of the things you say "as a white man" any different??? i'm sure you could careless, but i told you before, i had a lot of respect for you prior to the end of the election. you had some of the most intelligent discussions, some of which made me even re-think my position on the election. as it came to a close, it's almost like your TRUE COLORS bled through.

I admitted then that I made a few posts that were just me being pissed and I apologized if any of them seemed racist as that wasnt my intention. I dont like Obama personally, based on his past relationships, or politically, based on his politial views. Nothing I have ever said about him was because he is black.

welcome to life as a white man???? lol, yeah you and a few of your buddies did a fine job at introducing others into that "LIFE."

What buddies would those be cause I really dont have any on this site. What I said was clear and easy to understand. When dealing with blacks whites have constantly had their words under a microscope looking for any hint or racism. Now Rev. Lowry's comments were put under the same microscope. As you could see if you read my second post, I dont believe his comments were meant to be deragatory towards anyone, but if you looked at it out of context, they could be spun to look that way.

i highly doubt multiple comments in reference to black people being on welfare constitutes a "minor slip."

I have made quite a few comments recently just to piss off some ultra sensative people like that B3001 or whatever his name is posting the the whoreslounge. Also, that joke about Obama being on the food stamp is pretty damn funny.