PDA

View Full Version : Misc moving out questions. just need a little info. :)

Thighs
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
so ive decided that by thanksgiving of this year, i need to not be living at home anymore. i wanna get an apartment close to where i live, so my 2 first option would be the apartments near the mall of GA.

its gonna be my first apartment, and ill be splitting it with my gf and maybe one more roommate. i just wanna know what to look for, what to expect, etc. what is the average living cost including rent, utilites, etc for 2 people splitting a small 1-2 bedroom apartment?

any other useful info would be greatly appreciated. :D

Princess12
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
My advice would definitely be to go to the complexes that you are considering and just see what their current and market rates are. You also may want to get a copy of their leasing agreement so you can take a look at them and compare.

Be careful when moving in with a significant other for the first time. If you guys split, who is going to keep the apartment, etc? Be sure to read the lease agreement concerning their policies and procedures for an individual wishing to break the lease etc. Hopefully this will not apply to you, but it is something to keep in mind.

The more amenities in the community usually indicates a higher rent. Also, be sure to find out what exactly is included in your rent. (Ex: water, cable, trash, parking, etc.)

Go to the complexes during the day, and if possible, drive through them at night as well. Most of the complexes in the immediate mall area are not really cause for concern as far as criminal activity etc, but better safe than sorry.

Thighs
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
yeah thats what i figured. im not really worried about us splitting since weve been together for almost 3 years with no major problems. im just kinda looking for a ballpark figure of what i should be expecting to be paying per month. we have agreed to split EVERYTHING 50/50, but i still need to be able to gauge about how much thats gonna be.

stillaneon
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Prepare for hard times.

Being with a girl for 3 years and living with them are different.

Every apt is different so no one (even people who live there now) will be able to accurately portry your rent, since they do move in specials, etc. Be prepared for a deposit, a pet fee (if you have one), and find a room mate. even if you can afford it on your own or with your gf. You never know what can happen. You could lose income and have to dig into savings. plus, if you save money, you can use it. Oh, and it's not a good idea to move in with your best friend either...

Just personal experience...

Princess12
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
yeah thats what i figured. im not really worried about us splitting since weve been together for almost 3 years with no major problems. im just kinda looking for a ballpark figure of what i should be expecting to be paying per month. we have agreed to split EVERYTHING 50/50, but i still need to be able to gauge about how much thats gonna be.

Oh ok... I can give you ballpark figures from when my husband and I lived in our apartment. We both worked full time and didn't spend a great deal of our free time there. Just keep in mind that all complexes are different and offer different rental rates with specials, amenities, utilities included in rent, etc.

Move-In:
Pet Deposit: $300.00

Living:
Electric: $60.00-$80.00
Gas: (Heat and Hot Water Heater) $40.00-$50.00
Water/Trash: $42.50 (fixed rate)
Cable/Internet: $89.00
Renter's Insurance: $15.00
-Speak with your car insurance company, moving to an apartment complex will often boost your insurance premiums a little.
-Consider groceries, furnishings, etc.

quickdodgeŽ
01-21-2009, 07:03 PM
(Heat and Hot Water Heater)

I didn't know these still existed. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Most apartments do NOT have utilities included within the rent. Water/sewerage are the most popular that could be in the rent. Some offer cable, but you still pay for it. Instead of paying the cable company, you pay the extra amount to the leasing office. It really makes no sense at all to ask what other people pay for their utilities and living expenses as no one will be the same. Your only bill that will remain (pretty much) fixed will be your water and your telephone/internet and your cable. You can't judge your electric or gas bills by what other people pay.

Now what you can do is request, from the electric company or gas company) a one year usage history. See if you can find out how many people lived in that particular apartment just before and you'll be able to gauged a bit on what they paid over the last year in there.

There will be no luxuries. Especially at first, man. You've got to take in every consideration. Auto gas, groceries, your newly acquired bills plus your old ones (car insurance, car notes). There's no going out every weekend anymore.

But you know what? It's worth it. Big time.

Only thing I would really consider, though, is your living companions. I know you said your girl and you have been together for 3 years, but all that changes when you live together. You two are going to have the stresses of everyday living on you now. When things get tight (and they will), ill wills start showing through. You'll have to learn how to deal with each others levels of stress. You've got to really work together to make it work. The first time it looks like rent won't be right on time and your girl gets pissed (and she needs to remember this too), don't say fuck it, I'm outta here.

The fight is to stay together. Not to get apart

But my main concern would be the addition of another roommate. I wouldn't do it, man. That WILL cause an indifference between and you and he (when bills get fucked up) and, more importantly, between you and your girl. And remember, I already told you that will be there regardless. Only a roomie will make it worse. Get yourself in a position where you and your girl can do this for just you two.

I know I typed a lot, but there is a lot to learn and hopefully this will help you out some. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Later, QD.

Slomaro Z28
01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
As stated above living with ANYONE is different than being with them or knowing them, my nephew just got out of his apt. due to his friend of 19 yrs. skipping on rent and other bills. QD gave you the best advice that I have read so far.....get the place for you two only, and don't just split up when things get tough, because they always do....just work through it and make the best of things.

Revmaynard
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
I moved in with my gf before we dated and have been living with her coming up on 3 years in June and dating her for 3 years in September. You will need to be able to highly tolerate the people you move in with. Being an OCD person can make things harder on you. Some people moving out for the first time or that are young fresh out of the house don't like to clean up after themselves. My last roommate that lived with us in our house was good friend for about 5 years and we don't speak anymore. Living with someone can definitely change a relationship. But for a 950sq ft apartment here in Decatur was 650 a month at the time. Two bed room, two bath. Electric and cable were seperate, everything else was included. But right now when it's my gf and I splitting the bills we would spend $500-$550 a month including all of the utilities and such. Not including food though. Right now is tough though because my gf lost her job, so I'm the only one in my house with a job, out of 2. LOL But yea, it takes a different kind of responsibility from just waking up on time or something along those lines.

Thighs
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
first of all, i want to say that i greatly appreciate all the advice given in this thread, especially QD and rev.

im really not worried about the girl and i splitting up or anything like that, were both pretty tolerant people and are both responsible and have made it through ALOT together so far. i have been thinking about it alot and ive tried to think of anything that could cause any sort of hardship on us, and im expecting most of what you guys said. i know we'll have to cut back on eating out and doing stuff alot, but honestly we have more fun just sitting around and watching movies and tv lol. we already spend ALOT of time together, but her being asian kinda limits the amount of time we have to just sit around and do nothing. we dont really get to much, and were both tired of having to spend money or find something cheap to do just to hang out, so that will be a much needed and welcome change.

rev's response was what i was looking for really as far as the actual numbers go. im expecting the expenses to be about the same for us, maybe a little more or less depending on the size of the place. we dont need much really, just a one bedroom one bath place.

ive been thinking the same thing about the extra roommate, and the only person ive considered or talked to about it is someone i feel like i can trust. the girl and i both get along with him and he's pretty responsible as far as money goes, so i wouldnt really be worried about the bills getting fucked either. thats still under alot of consideration though. i have a while to decide whats gonna happen and no decisions are final yet, except the fact that by thanksgiving of 09 i WILL be out of my parents house, one way or another. i cant be 20 and living at home for long. lol

Revmaynard
01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Yep. I've been out since 16, you learn a lot when you move out on your own. I know a lot of friends who had to move back home because they screwed themselves over. I would just say make sure you have stable jobs. Other than that, you'll be fine. But can I ask what her being Asian has to do with how much time you spend together? LOL

Thighs
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
her parents, more specifically her grandma, has the traditional asian mindset about dating, marriage, etc. i cant go over to her house and hang out, and my house is really far out of the way so it doesnt really make sense to come here, not to mention i have a twin bed, a barely functional tv, and my stepmom is anal about me having company and wont let us go in my room because of my slut stepsister who will think she can too, although shes only 16.

make sense now? lol

Slomaro Z28
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I'd want out of there too....do your homework and it'll all work out for ya, good luck.

Princess12
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I didn't know these still existed. Later, QD.

I know! Old ass apartment lol!

Thighs
01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'd want out of there too....do your homework and it'll all work out for ya, good luck.

i plan on it. its too big of a decision to go blindly into. and thanks. :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
01-22-2009, 05:54 AM
I know! Old ass apartment lol!

My joke went right over your head.
HOT water heater. Why would you want to heat hot water? It's already hot. Lolol. Later, QD.

BB6dohcvtec
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
lol....

You will be fine. QD and rev have already told you everything that will be involved. Another good tip that helped me and my girlfriend when we moved out was to open a separate bank account just for rent/bills.

Thighs
01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
^^ thats another really good idea that i didnt really even think about. i know that once i start the job im about to get (hopefully) im gonna make it a point to save at LEAST 200 bucks a month to go towards any expenses that might come up during the moving process, 1st months rent, etc. ive got the better part of a year to get things straightened out and collect any info i might need.

Thighs
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
so ive been checking around and i found a 1 bedroom 1 bath for 650/month + utilities. would it be safe to say that after water/cable+internet/other misc. utilities i should expect around 1k/month total? i really have no clue what these types of things run per month.

Revmaynard
01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Utilities are cheaper for a smaller apartment. Especially if you conserve. My electric bill is $40 and my gas is $180. 3br, 1bath house with old crank out windows, vaulted ceilings, and hardwood floors. The gas is for my heat, hot water tank, and stove. But in the summer it drops to like $45-$70. It all depends on which utilities works which appliance. LOL But 1k is a good guess, but it's good to have some money saved up, too.

stephen
01-23-2009, 03:18 AM
^^ thats another really good idea that i didnt really even think about. i know that once i start the job im about to get (hopefully) im gonna make it a point to save at LEAST 200 bucks a month to go towards any expenses that might come up during the moving process, 1st months rent, etc. ive got the better part of a year to get things straightened out and collect any info i might need.

dude...my primary focus would be getting that job situated first. i wouldn't even CONSIDER moving out unless i was 100% sure i had a steady job going (especially with today's economy). i wouldn't even save up 1mos worth of rent...i'd do ATLEAST 3mos in addition to whatever your security deposit might be. when i say 3mos...i mean 3mos of whatever you expect the TOTAL to be (in your case...that'd be $3k). my first apartment was a campus type apartment, where i had 3 roomates, and everyone had their own room and was responsible for THEIR OWN rent. although i didn't have to, i'd pay my rent 6mos in advance. i paid $500 per month, and everything was all inclusive (except for my telephone bill), and it was a 12mos lease. basically...i'd just pay the leasing office $3k, and i'd be cool for the next 6 mos.

no offense, but not being prioritized can't be a costly mistake (i've made more than enough of those mistakes). focus on that job first man! it's more than worth it! accepting the fact that you MIGHT have to stay home a little longer than you want just to get everything 100% feels much better than having to come back home and feeling like you couldn't make it on your own (for whatever reason).

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Another good tip that helped me and my girlfriend when we moved out was to open a separate bank account just for rent/bills.

I've never, and probably never will, understood the separate accounts deal. If you're in a relationship, everything becomes one. If you can't pool your money together and run a household out of that account, then you have no business being together. You're going to spend money anyway, regardless of separate or shared accounts. Luckily, I trust my wife enough to keep only one account between us. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2009, 05:35 AM
so ive been checking around and i found a 1 bedroom 1 bath for 650/month + utilities. would it be safe to say that after water/cable+internet/other misc. utilities i should expect around 1k/month total? i really have no clue what these types of things run per month.

You've got to find out if your apartment is electric AND gas or just total electric. You've also got to find out what, if any, utilities are included in the rent. Sometimes water or cable is in the rent. With a bill of $650, I doubt any of it is. Later, QD.

BB6dohcvtec
01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I've never, and probably never will, understood the separate accounts deal. If you're in a relationship, everything becomes one. If you can't pool your money together and run a household out of that account, then you have no business being together. You're going to spend money anyway, regardless of separate or shared accounts. Luckily, I trust my wife enough to keep only one account between us. Later, QD.

we have other accounts together but we made a separate account together just for bills/rent so its easier to budget.

Thighs
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
dude...my primary focus would be getting that job situated first. i wouldn't even CONSIDER moving out unless i was 100% sure i had a steady job going (especially with today's economy). i wouldn't even save up 1mos worth of rent...i'd do ATLEAST 3mos in addition to whatever your security deposit might be. when i say 3mos...i mean 3mos of whatever you expect the TOTAL to be (in your case...that'd be $3k). my first apartment was a campus type apartment, where i had 3 roomates, and everyone had their own room and was responsible for THEIR OWN rent. although i didn't have to, i'd pay my rent 6mos in advance. i paid $500 per month, and everything was all inclusive (except for my telephone bill), and it was a 12mos lease. basically...i'd just pay the leasing office $3k, and i'd be cool for the next 6 mos.

no offense, but not being prioritized can't be a costly mistake (i've made more than enough of those mistakes). focus on that job first man! it's more than worth it! accepting the fact that you MIGHT have to stay home a little longer than you want just to get everything 100% feels much better than having to come back home and feeling like you couldn't make it on your own (for whatever reason).

well the girl and i have made an agreement to save AT LEAST 100 dollars a month from now until then, and i have a goal of closer to 200 a month for myself (her job pays less than the one im starting, but she'll be getting a promotion soon). i have a decent amount of time between now and then to get my money in order and to do all the homework ill need, etc. i see what youre saying though.

OG-Skinny
01-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I only read the first post and no one elses, so sorry if this a repeat of what's been said.

DO NOT LET ANYONE LIVE THERE WHO IS NOT ON THE LEASE. Clear enough for you? I've had "Friends" need somewhere to stay for a month or 2 and it turns out to be you, the lease holder getting shitted on.

Split the bills up evenly.. I.e had the power bill in your name, the gas in another roommates, and the cable, etc in you GF's name. Then just split them up. I say this way because if someone doesn't have money to pay you for YOUR billed name, you should cover it.

It is sooo important to look out for you own credit. I've rebuilt mine TWICE because of roommates and not double checking myself with lease holders.

Hope you can use this.

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2009, 08:32 PM
we have other accounts together but we made a separate account together just for bills/rent so its easier to budget.

So you have separate accounts for bills and spending? I gotcha. I thought you were saying you had your own account and your girl had her own. The latter is what I never understood. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
It is sooo important to look out for you own credit.

This is the only part of the post I agree with or that really makes any sense. Later, QD.