PDA

View Full Version : Would you file for unemployment if you lost your job?

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Interesting topic. Someone said something about pride and how they would not feel right sitting around when they were perfectly able to work.

So. Would you file for unemployment and collect, or just keep your pride and hope to hell you dont run out of money?

poll is private in case anyone is wondering

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:42 AM
If there was absolutely not one single alternative left, and i mean not even teh mcdonalds drive through, then yes. Other wise, i'd rather not leech off the government like a worthless system draining human being.

BobbyFresco
01-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Short answer, no.

I'd rather work and do my part to help this country's economy than add to the burden.

redrumracer
01-21-2009, 01:54 AM
so is social security checks(not retired) for people to damn fat.lazy/make up reasons to work a bad thing or a good thing.

SicStang03
01-21-2009, 01:57 AM
I could get a new job in no time if I needed it bad enough.

NewGen33
01-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Not if I'm physically able to work

§treet_§peed
01-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I would if i needed a constant flow of money, until i got a new job. i wouldn't rely on it for long. just a couple of weeks until i got a new one. after all thats what it was for originally.

redrumracer
01-21-2009, 02:04 AM
id collect it

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:12 AM
i cant find a damn job.. but i wasnt "let off".

I was fired because i went to see my mom for a family emergency.. came back and didnt have a job. they said that I was unreliable and they couldnt keep changing the schedule for me.

am I eligible for unemployment if i live with my parents and have no job but I've applied at almost every place in my town where I qualify.

it sucks. i wish i could just go to work.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:16 AM
you CAN just go work you goon. and no, when you're fired you're not entitled to unemployment you lazy fuck.

redrumracer
01-21-2009, 02:17 AM
i cant find a damn job.. but i wasnt "let off".

I was fired because i went to see my mom for a family emergency.. came back and didnt have a job. they said that I was unreliable and they couldnt keep changing the schedule for me.

am I eligible for unemployment if i live with my parents and have no job but I've applied at almost every place in my town where I qualify.

it sucks. i wish i could just go to work.
so thats why you be lookin up fat old ladies, tryin to find a suga momma.

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:20 AM
haha..

i went out today, yesterday and every other day since i've gotten fired filling out applications, attaching resumes and calling for follow-up interviews. 2 weeks of this and I'm running out of money. 20 years old and I'm not in college. I'm actually selling my car to keep from getting back into credit card debt.

dont judge me because i need money. I beg and plead for jobs, no one wants to hire me.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:24 AM
mcdonalds is hiring.

redrumracer
01-21-2009, 02:26 AM
mcdonalds is hiring.
not true. at least last time i checked.

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:26 AM
not here..

i've applied at all 4 in newnan

NewGen33
01-21-2009, 02:29 AM
not here..

i've applied at all 4 in newnan
See if homer can hook you up at the movie theater.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:30 AM
i'm calling shenanigans on mcdonalds and wal-mart not hiring. that's a load of horse.

redrumracer
01-21-2009, 02:32 AM
i'm calling shenanigans on mcdonalds and wal-mart not hiring. that's a load of horse.
nope its not a load of horse, ive applied at both back in eastman and followed up with each for 1.5 months(walmart a lil longer) and neither where hiring.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:33 AM

have you ever seen "the high cost of low prices?" obviously not...wal-mart is the closest thing to slave labor that still exists in America

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:34 AM
it's a load, chuck says "i checked all the businessess in a 5 mile radius of my house!" Stop being such a pussy, i used to commute 20 miles on way. Someone is hiring, it may not be close, it may not be convenient,b ut someone is hiring. get off your ass and get out of your "house limits"

SicStang03
01-21-2009, 02:34 AM
You guys are all doing something wrong. My 17 year old sister found a job her first time out.

Maybe you guys should get out more and meet new people. In this world it's not so much what you know but who you know.. fucking tools!!

NewGen33
01-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Chuck did you also try Shine and Drive I know they are always going through employees.

Justin.
01-21-2009, 02:37 AM
I've collected unemployment, my mother had a stroke and I had to care for her until her passing, so my job agreed, saying they laid me off after her stroke, Sure collecting $800 a week doing nothing but being with her was nice, but the circumstances that made that happen was no good.

Would I do it again? Impossible cause I own my own company..lol

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:38 AM
it's not that i've never gone more than 5 miles from my house i've just applied at EVERY place 5 miles from my house.

i have applied at many places in Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Sharpsburg, Union City and ALL AROUND Newnan.

I have a list of places written down I plan on applying. have 10 more to do, out of 45 total.

I know how to find a job, it's just not happening right now.

I have applied at wal mart. my dad is even best friends with the assistant manager of the newnan Kroger, but he said they arent hiring. I wouldnt bullshit, im not like that. happy you have a job but dont be a dick when I try really hard to find one.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:39 AM
unemployment caps out at $360 ish a week...

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:40 AM
You guys are all doing something wrong. My 17 year old sister found a job her first time out.

i dont have a vagina.

SicStang03
01-21-2009, 02:41 AM
it's not that i've never gone more than 5 miles from my house i've just applied at EVERY place 5 miles from my house.

i have applied at many places in Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Sharpsburg, Union City and ALL AROUND Newnan.

I have a list of places written down I plan on applying. have 10 more to do, out of 45 total.

I know how to find a job, it's just not happening right now.

I have applied at wal mart. my dad is even best friends with the assistant manager of the newnan Kroger, but he said they arent hiring. I wouldnt bullshit, im not like that. happy you have a job but dont be a dick when I try really hard to find one.

I applaud you for really trying. Try Bruster's :cheers:

dtmcnamara

Maybe you guys should get out more and meet new people. In this world it's not so much what you know but who you know.. fucking tools!!

being 17 and finding a job is easy. any company can pick you up and pay you whatever because you have no experience...hell i have been offered jobs for $7-$8 an hour guaranteed 10-20 hours a week....but theres no way in hell i would take that. sorry, nothing against anyone else. But I am going from 40-60 hours a week full time...

Humphrizzle
Chuck did you also try Shine and Drive I know they are always going through employees.

the detailing place down near tires plus? yeah i applied they told me they werent hiring.

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:44 AM
I applaud you for really trying. Try Bruster's :cheers:

thanks man.

brusters isnt hiring either haha... they said they dont have enough business because of the cold weather.

every food place says "not hiring till spring", every clothing store says "we're fully staffed, but check back in a couple weeks"

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:45 AM
thanks man.

brusters isnt hiring either haha... they said they dont have enough business because of the cold weather.

every food place says "not hiring till spring", every clothing store says "we're fully staffed, but check back in a couple weeks"

only good thing I have heard was from Lowes...they said try back in March

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:47 AM
i bugged home depot and lowes both.

I used to build deck displays for home depot with my mom who was a vendor for homedepot lumber.

I know all the managers in the atlanta area. none of them were any help.

haha.. this is depressing.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:49 AM
i worked for homedepot landscape here in snellville before they went out of business. i went and talked to my old store manager and all she could say was i'll call you when someone is available. they were cutting back hours last i heard and with the stores that were closing most positions that will open will get filled with current employees getting pushed to other stores...

redrumracer
01-21-2009, 02:52 AM
maybe yall should try circuit city, i heard that a lot of the employees where leaving there.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:54 AM
maybe yall should try circuit city, i heard that a lot of the employees where leaving there.

lol...funny. Shit sucks. I know 5 people that use to work there...

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:56 AM
lol.. tried best buy too.. no luck

i could post my list of job possibilities where i've been rejected, but i dont want to.. its too long.

SicStang03
01-21-2009, 03:07 AM
check craigslist.. no joke. I had a buddy that made 250 bux catering some party. All he had to do was show up and walk around with food and drinks and help set up and clean up.

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:10 AM
lol... i have. just emailed a guy on craigslist locally that says anyone with a pickup truck apply for picking up trash at an apartment complex 7 hours a week.

500 bucks a month.. 17 dollars an hour. hope i get a call back

I got a job before from craigslist and i hated it.. horrible carribbean restaurant with fucking crazy ass owners/chefs

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 03:10 AM
craigslist is almost hopeless...i have filled out countless applications to hear we are not hiring one after the other....then the other places they have no contact information to follow-up so its like well i hope they get everything...

FTMFW
01-21-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm tired of all of ya b1tching about this so I'll help ya out. I work at QuikTrip and get paid $10/hour as a part time clerk (only work 4 days so can't be considered full time). They are currently hiring Assistant Managers, if you are okay with working 10 hours a day then the job is great, has some really good benefits as well. In case they call you for an interview MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OFF ANY PIERCINGS AND SHAVE!!! I guarantee you if you don't take them off and don't shave, you won't get the job. They will also be hiring clerks by March so if anyone is interested in that might wait and apply. Just fill out an application online and wait. I'm not going to waste my time looking for the application online, since ya have nothing to do I mind as well let ya do that for yourselves. Hope this helps anyone and good luck.

civic95
01-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes I would collect it. I've paid into the system for 13 yrs, why wouldn't I? I would search for a real job while collecting it though. I would not sit around, collecting until it runs out, and then begin a search. $360 a week is nothing, and I would be eager to find a good job again, or even something to hold me over while I searched for a job I wanted. I'm not beyond stocking groceries, or doing retail for a few months if I had too.

Sammich
01-21-2009, 07:34 AM
from what i heard anyway you're not collecting that much anyway. but yes i would collect until i found another job, i wouldnt just be sitting around the house lounging everyday, i would be job hunting like a mofo.

ShooterMcGavin
01-21-2009, 07:38 AM
how much does unemployment pay? and yes i would today, obama is all about redistributing the wealth isn't he? why shouldn't i draw it and let someone else get the money? :D

A.P. Photography
01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Yes I would collect it. I've paid into the system for 13 yrs, why wouldn't I? I would search for a real job while collecting it though. I would not sit around, collecting until it runs out, and then begin a search. $360 a week is nothing, and I would be eager to find a good job again, or even something to hold me over while I searched for a job I wanted. I'm not beyond stocking groceries, or doing retail for a few months if I had too.

Exactly. I did collect it, it is like $330 which is the max benefit. Thankfully I was laid off before the economy took a downward slide but even then it still took awhile to find a job to pay the bills.

4dmin
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
in this market i would certainly go ahead and file for it b/c it could take weeks-months to land something of worth. plus from what i've heard many people aren't receiving checks till 6-7 weeks later. living off of it for long term while not actively searching for a job is retarded and people who aren't willing to compromise on position/salary and pass up good jobs just b/c they think they are better is also dumb. if you got bills to pay make a move even if it is temporary.

RL...
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
If there was absolutely not one single alternative left, and i mean not even teh mcdonalds drive through, then yes. Other wise, i'd rather not leech off the government like a worthless system draining human being.

x2

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
x2

your thought does not count.

Sammich
01-21-2009, 11:06 AM
your thought does not count. you drive a maxima, and you wanted information on buying a ebay exhaust for it...

whoa whoa whoa there pahtna lol my thought still counts..i spent money for my exhaust..although its not installed i'm still waiting to get money together to get it done right and done:lmfao:

PS: lol @ edit

Vteckidd
01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
fuck no, ive been on unemployment before when i got laid off from Dobbins ARB.

You pay for it why not use it?

I dont advocate someone using it as a means NOT to work, but if yo ulose your job, its a good way to make sure you eat and pay some of your bills while you are job hunting.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
whoa whoa whoa there pahtna lol my thought still counts..i spent money for my exhaust..although its not installed i'm still waiting to get money together to get it done right and done:lmfao:

PS: lol @ edit

Where did you make that quote up from... :thinking: :lmfao:

I dont advocate someone using it as a means NOT to work, but if yo ulose your job, its a good way to make sure you eat and pay some of your bills while you are job hunting.

thank you. I still dont know why everyone thinks I sit around all day...Ya maybe I am right now but thats because I am working on some cal 3 homework...trust me I would rather be working a job right now than doing this

alpine_aw11
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Exactly. As long as unemployment exists everyone who has a job pays for it. It can be hard to find a job in these times so if you NEED it, use it. If you don't need it and use it, fuck you.

And Chuck, you can always sell your body.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
if you NEED it, use it. If you don't need it and use it, fuck you.

so what make it a need then? Would $800+ a month in bills require a need?

I dont technically "NEED" it right now. But what about after a few months of paying bills? Money goes fast and would you not rather be safe than sorry?

Call me crazy but I would rather have the money as a backup...It took 7 weeks for me to get a check. Say I waited until I had no money to file for unemployment. There is almost 2 months of late payments on bills and a car thats about to get repo'd...

AlanŽ
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey Chuck. I might be able to help you out. They are opening a new La Hacienda in Peachtree City where Buckhead Brewery used to be. I know they are hiring. I know the manager if you want I can give you his number and you can call and talk to him just tell him Alan told you to give him a call. He's almost begged me to come back on many occasions

alpine_aw11
01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
so what make it a need then? Would $800+ a month in bills require a need?

I dont technically "NEED" it right now. But what about after a few months of paying bills? Money goes fast and would you not rather be safe than sorry?

Call me crazy but I would rather have the money as a backup...It took 7 weeks for me to get a check. Say I waited until I had no money to file for unemployment. There is almost 2 months of late payments on bills and a car thats about to get repo'd...

If you don't have a job and have that much in bills to pay, then yes. You wait until it's necessary. You say you don't need it, but if you don't have money to pay your bills, then how do you not need it?

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
i have been selling stuff...all parts off my car, a few computers, xbox, all the things I dont need I have been selling. At first it was to buy a car once my S2000 sold, but now its to live off of. I have enough money in the bank right now for almost 2 months of living. I filed for unemployment mainly because what will I do after 2 months. I could not live off of, I hope I sell this exhaust this week, or I hope my tv sells so I can have gas to drive to school...

DieselNuts
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
you CAN just go work you goon. and no, when you're fired you're not entitled to unemployment you lazy fuck.
In his situation, he might still be able to draw. I took a leave of absence from a job because I have a bad knee. I had a doctors note saying i needed to stay off my knee and not do manual labor. After about 2 weeks, I got a release note from my Dr. and my employer claimed that I abandoned my job and that they already filled my position. I filed for unemployment and it was granted. My previous employer came back and said I abandoned my job and I was supposed to pay back what I had made from unemployment. We ended up having a 3 way phone call with my old boss and someone from the DOL. I ended up winning the case and got my unemployment. Its a different situation, but kinda similar.

Something else, it seems that everyone thinks that its the Government that is paying for unemployment....its not. Employers must pay a "unemployment insurance" for this very reason. The money comes from the previous employer, not the govt.

RandomGuy
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
hope you didn't take anything I said in offense, it was just my personal opinion, but then again I was still able to juggle my bills when I was under

carrascopa
01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
if you dont take money from the govenment then you are not american.

The government wants to give you money to spend and put back into the struggling economy.

they give you money, you go out, spend said money.. in turn, your keeping business's open, salaries paid etc for workers in retail and other industry that you spend your money on..

if you really care about this country go spend as much money as you can and help with the economic stimulous..

_Christian_
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I would only take unemployment if I was unable to find a job first. It's not that hard to find a job if you're motivated. I've been offered a job with every application/resume except one.

keevo54
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM

the two walmarts in athens have stopped hiring for now

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
might have a job.. begged domino's to hire me back and i have an interview tomorrow.

yay i love delivering pizzas.

Bruce Leroy
01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
SHit... I wish i could collect unemployment while I'm on my job hunt...

I just got fired today. But it was for a valid reason

Echonova
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Interesting topic. Someone said something about pride and how they would not feel right sitting around when they were perfectly able to work.

So. Would you file for unemployment and collect, or just keep your pride and hope to hell you dont run out of money?

poll is private in case anyone is wonderingDidn't read the thread beyond the first post, but I'm sure others have answered the same.

I would only because I have a family and having food on the table for them precedes any pride that I would have. But you can bet your ass I'd be hitting the streets every day until I had a job, don't care if its McDonalds fry maker or shoveling shit I'd have a job even if I've got to shank someone to take their position.

Ruiner
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Good luck filing if you are fired. They will typically deny you. You can, however, get unemployment if you are laid off.

HyPer50
01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Yes I have, and yes I would again. I didn't abuse it though, I was making an honest effort to find a new job after being laid off, and once I found one, I reported the new job and discontinued the unemployment. I think there is nothing wrong as long as you don't abuse the right. If I hadn't had it, and wasn't able to find another job immediatly, we would have been in deep shit, but luckily the unemployment was just enough to get by on til I could get another job.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
the way i still see it is like this....

unemployment is like insurance for you car. if you crash your car you call them and you get your car fixed. if you dont ever crash your car you pay them and never see a thing but a piece of paper.

you pay unemployment every check. its there if you need it. most never will, but thats how they make their money.

Now if you wrecked your car would you not call the insurance company and get your money to fix it?

DieselNuts
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM

unemployment is like insurance for you car. if you crash your car you call them and you get your car fixed. if you dont ever crash your car you pay them and never see a thing but a piece of paper.

you pay unemployment every check. its there if you need it. most never will, but thats how they make their money.

Now if you wrecked your car would you not call the insurance company and get your money to fix it?
nice analogy. thats pretty spot on :cheers:

blaknoize
01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I would if me trying to find a job "timed out." As in, I was about to run out of 1 months worth of income, yes I would. Its not like I have any alternative.

amandDA
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
only if physically unable to work

EuroTra$h
01-22-2009, 11:04 PM

exactly :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2009, 05:28 AM
For those of you who say that they fell that they've been leeching off the government....wrong! I would jump on unemployment in a second the second I lost my job. I wouldn't live off it, but I would get on it. You don't know how long it will take you to get back employed. Every day you've worked and paid taxes, you've help contribute to unemployment. There's no sense in NOT getting back what you've put in. There is NO shame in reaping what you sowed in this instance. I've worked for over 20 years now so I know I've out in my time and money.

So yes, I'd try to draw. But no, I would NOT attempt to live off of unemployment. I'd still be on the grind looking. Later, QD.

ksniperfox
01-23-2009, 05:45 AM
For those of you who say that they fell that they've been leeching off the government....wrong! I would jump on unemployment in a second the second I lost my job. I wouldn't live off it, but I would get on it. You don't know how long it will take you to get back employed. Every day you've worked and paid taxes, you've help contribute to unemployment. There's no sense in NOT getting back what you've put in. There is NO shame in reaping what you sowed in this instance. I've worked for over 20 years now so I know I've out in my time and money.

So yes, I'd try to draw. But no, I would NOT attempt to live off of unemployment. I'd still be on the grind looking. Later, QD.

agreed.

Kevykev
01-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I guess it would be circumstantial but if i ever got laid off from a job I would do my own thing rather that file.

i've been blessed enough to not need it so far in life.

EJ25RUN
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
For those talking about Mcdonalds and Walmart.

If are a college educated individual and get laid off due to downsizing, walmart is NOT a solution. I don't care how proud you are of yourself but that time needs to be spent looking for work and unemployment will only provide minor short term help. If you go from making $80,000 a year to no work, even with unemployment, you are in trouble. Walmart isn't good enough to pay the bills.

Last, the higher education you have, the more your work requires and the longer it will take to find a job. Sometimes even 6 months to find somewhere you want to be and are getting paid as you see fit.

Forget about the dead end jobs. Anyone with a real career will not be putting walmart on their resume.

Big Baller
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Fuck you people are retarded...

First its not the Governments money...its your money, you pay it in the form of an unemployment tax.

Second, its designed to help people get back on their feet and get a job, they don't want you sitting around they want you out looking for work.

Third, You would be amazed how many of you can't collect it, a lot of you have employers that don't pay the unemployment tax and its your job to find out if they do or not.

Bottom line its your fucking money...use it, if you don't they will give it to the democrats...errr....crackheads.

Big Baller
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Wish I had seen this before I posted, pretty much on the money, you can't live off of it anyway the max you can collect is 320 dollars a week and thats now enough to live off of, well its not for me anyway.

Ex_Vtec_Girl
01-23-2009, 12:19 PM

:stupid:

I worked in real estate & was laid off as soon as the economy started taking a shit. I drew unemployment & after taxes being taken out, I saw $269/week. That was enough to pay my daughter's daycare & buy food (& yes, it was necessary to keep her in daycare or she would have lost her spot & I wouldn't have been able to go out & search for a job). It took me a month to find a new job & I took a hell of a pay cut...I now make HALF what I made at my previous job! But I'm getting by so I can't complain.

Like somebody else already said...WalMart & McDonalds aren't a possibility if you're laid off from a decent paying career...you're better off taking unemployment & continuing your job search rather than taking a job at WalMart or McDonalds making $8/hr x 40 hrs/week = $320/week before taxes. I considered it, but it would have been stupid for me to work 40 hour weeks, unable to go on interviews because I'm flipping burgers only to make the same or less than I was getting from unemployment.

Jecht
02-02-2009, 09:19 AM
No. I'm too stubborn to let others help me like that.