PDA

View Full Version : So what do I do in my free time?

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Ok so I have been out of a job for some time. SO what have I been up to? Well back to my old hobby...flashlights...lol

I know I know, flashlight?

Well they are cheap, and most of the time you can built them from shit around the house for free.

Well I have always had a love for them? Some people collect baseball cards, some people like action figures, i like flashlights. I dont know what it is about them...

Well i have a custom one I will be posting up soon. I waiting for the last few parts to come in. Specs are below:

36v 400 watt 14,500 lumens rated bulb
custom reflector
between 7 and 9- 3.7v 18650 lithium-ion batteries
should put out 10,000+ lumens give or take a few thousand

I am waiting for a high amp switch to come in and my batteries. Never used the 18650 batteries, but I have heard great things about them.

Only thing I am worried about this light is heat. At 14,500 lumens this thing WILL throw around some heat. Thinking maybe a 10-30 second run at first, then a little longer and so on and so forth.

Anyone else into shit like this?

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:14 AM
so, let me get this straight. You lost your job, you have a car payment and insurance on your s2000, you need to pay for food, gas, and housing, and you're wasting your money on flashlights? I can see why you lost your job, your productivity must have been through the roof.

umairejaz
01-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Lol wow, that is a first. I'd like to see pics.

On_Her_Face
01-21-2009, 01:18 AM
I'd like to see a "build thread" to be honest. Good luck finding a new job.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:22 AM
so, let me get this straight. You lost your job, you have a car payment and insurance on your s2000, you need to pay for food, gas, and housing, and you're wasting your money on flashlights? I can see why you lost your job, your productivity must have been through the roof.

well after I sold some of the toys (few computers, xbox 360, some ipods, and other various stuff) I have managed to come up with $2,200 to live off of for a while, this is on top of the money I had save up...

Insurance is paid every 6 months so I have until march to come up with the money, food (i eat at home every day), gas (i drive to school at thats it, sometimes I even car-pool), housing (love the parents). Only other bills I have are the credit cards, which I am talking to the bank to consolidate with my tuition loans (trying to prove all the charges were "school related" to get them in the same category)

PS- I'm waiting on a $3 switch and $12 in batteries. If $15 is going to break me I might as well just call it quits and take the .40 cal out from under my bead and put a $1.20 of hollow point through my skull...

also who are you to judge someones productivity by a hobby? Have you ever seen me work? Actually do you know what I even did at my last job? I honestly probably worked more and harder one day on the job than you do all week.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:25 AM
I'd like to see a "build thread" to be honest. Good luck finding a new job.

could be arranged. let me get things together and once its all finished I can write it all up

BobbyFresco
01-21-2009, 01:26 AM
No offense to the OP but you have no excuse homie.
Hustle til' you can't hustle anymore...

Jobs are there, you just have to make the time to get one.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:28 AM
No offense to the OP but you have no excuse homie.
Hustle til' you can't hustle anymore...

Jobs are there, you just have to make the time to get one.

make the time. ok. I am not going to take a POS job making under $10 a hours "guaranteed" 10-20 hours a week when I am making $300 a week right now on unemployment.

Seriously. who in their right mind would take a job making less than they do on unemployment? does that make since?

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:31 AM
well after I sold some of the toys (few computers, xbox 360, some ipods, and other various stuff) I have managed to come up with $2,200 to live off of for a while, this is on top of the money I had save up...

Insurance is paid every 6 months so I have until march to come up with the money, food (i eat at home every day), gas (i drive to school at thats it, sometimes I even car-pool), housing (love the parents). Only other bills I have are the credit cards, which I am talking to the bank to consolidate with my tuition loans (trying to prove all the charges were "school related" to get them in the same category)

PS- I'm waiting on a $3 switch and $12 in batteries. If $15 is going to break me I might as well just call it quits and take the .40 cal out from under my bead and put a $1.20 of hollow point through my skull...

also who are you to judge someones productivity by a hoddy? Have you ever seen me work? Actually do you know what I even did at my last job? I honestly probably worked more and harder one day on the job than you do all week.

you drive, a red, honda, convertible. i really have no idea what your post reads, i just wanted to state that.

BobbyFresco
make the time. ok. I am not going to take a POS job making under $10 a hours "guaranteed" 10-20 hours a week when I am making $300 a week right now on unemployment.

Seriously. who in their right mind would take a job making less than they do on unemployment? does that make since?

Again, no offense but you could make that much waiting tables, which is what I would do if I was ever in a situation where I couldn't find any other work.

Idk about you but my pride would not allow me to sit at home and collect unemployment when I'm perfectly capable of working, whatever the job may be....

dtmcnamara
you drive, a red, honda, convertible. i really have no idea what your post reads, i just wanted to state that.

yep. and soon to be in a white toyota wagon...you got a problem with that too?

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:33 AM
sure don't olive oil.

http://sciencewins.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/139olive-oyl-popeye-posters1.jpg

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Again, no offense but you could make that much waiting tables, which is what I would do if I was ever in a situation where I couldn't find any other work.

Idk about you but my pride would not allow me to sit at home and collect unemployment when I'm perfectly capable of working, whatever the job may be....

did food service, and never will do it again. pride or no pride there is no logic in take less money for a shitty job. I have up to 52 weeks to find a job, if I file for an extension. I have worked since I was 14, im 23 now. I have paid enough in unemployment over the years, i am just taking it back now

TheGrillMan
01-21-2009, 01:35 AM

its not that easy finding work in the foodservice industry right now ither

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:40 AM
did food service, and never will do it again. pride or no pride there is no logic in take less money for a shitty job. I have up to 52 weeks to find a job, if I file for an extension. I have worked since I was 14, im 23 now. I have paid enough in unemployment over the years, i am just taking it back now

no i don't want fries with that. Way to be man, the economy's down, you lose your job, and ride off the government. Fuck it, you've worked for 1/100th of your life, you're entitled to slack off and not do a damn thing, right?! good for you man. way to leech off the system like every other worthless citizen that does it.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:45 AM
no i don't want fries with that. Way to be man, the economy's down, you lose your job, and ride off the government. Fuck it, you've worked for 1/100th of your life, you're entitled to slack off and not do a damn thing, right?! good for you man. way to leech off the system like every other worthless citizen that does it.

thanks for paying me...

for "sitting around"...i mean this sheet I turn in every week with all the jobs I have applied for is just BS...i mean really, Macys, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Dave and Busters, Micro Center, Nordstroms, T-Mobile, At&T, Best Buy, Cable Warehouse, Atlanta Security, Qore Science and Engineering, Amec, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto Parts are all hiring out their asses (just to name a few)

BobbyFresco
01-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Something is always better than nothing...
From shit grows flowers, homie.
Remember that.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:49 AM
thanks for paying me...

for "sitting around"...i mean this sheet I turn in every week with all the jobs I have applied for is just BS...i mean really, Macys, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Dave and Busters, Micro Center, Nordstroms, T-Mobile, At&T, Best Buy, Cable Warehouse, Atlanta Security, Qore Science and Engineering, Amec, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto Parts are all hiring out their asses (just to name a few)

where's wal-mart? mcdonalds? bk lounge? either way, i know for a fact a ton of those jobs are hiring. maybe you should take some of your piercings out, and shave, might help your chances.

NewGen33
01-21-2009, 01:49 AM
LOL pic of flashlight collection

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:51 AM
so you would take the job at the store for $7/hour at 10-20 hours a week making $105 a week after taxes, and this is before factoring in your gas?

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 01:53 AM
where's wal-mart? mcdonalds? bk lounge? either way, i know for a fact a ton of those jobs are hiring. maybe you should take some of your piercings out, and shave, might help your chances.

since I have all the piercings anymore...

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:54 AM
take the bus if you have to. a job is a job. you obviously need to be making money. don't let your pride get to you. You can work at publix in the meat section for 25k a year.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 01:58 AM
thanks for paying me...

for "sitting around" )

sadly this is how you really feel. i bet you sit around and masturbate with self satisfaction knowing you don't do a god damn thing and still get paid. must feel nice huh?

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:00 AM
take the bus if you have to. a job is a job. you obviously need to be making money. don't let your pride get to you. You can work at publix in the meat section for 25k a year.

My pride is not getting to me. There just is no logic in taking a job with a college degree for under $10 an hour. Its not like I am some 16 year old kid looking for $10 an hour. I have an associates in business admin, I will have a bachelors in mechanical engineering by the end of the year.

If $10 a hour is too much to ask then I need to change my major...

NewGen33
01-21-2009, 02:04 AM
So, how about those flashlights...

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:05 AM
My pride is not getting to me. There just is no logic in taking a job with a college degree for under $10 an hour. Its not like I am some 16 year old kid looking for $10 an hour. I have an associates in business admin, I will have a bachelors in mechanical engineering by the end of the year.

If $10 a hour is too much to ask then I need to change my major...

i will quote a statement from the owner of my company;

"Degrees in business should not be mentioned as they may not be worth the paper they are printed on."

Fresh off the "jobs" section of our website. Maybe you should wait until you graduate with your "mechanical engineering" degree before you sit on your high horse at $10 an hour.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:05 AM
lol...ya here are a few that I have a pic of...
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/dtmcnamara/lights.jpg

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Maybe you should wait until you graduate with your "mechanical engineering" degree before you sit on your high horse at $10 an hour.

$10 high horse...lol

would you work your job for half the pay your getting right now?
If your company came to you and said. We need you to work just as hard, well actually harder, same hours and we need to cut your pay in half. Would you stay?

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:13 AM
$10 high horse...lol

would you work your job for half the pay your getting right now?
If your company came to you and said. We need you to work just as hard, well actually harder, same hours and we need to cut your pay in half. Would you stay?

would i work MY job for half of what im getting paid? Yes, i would. But i'd get another job. And eventually quit. Or work both, depending on the hours and flexibility.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:16 AM
And the job you would find would be making more than your new salary (1/2 of what you use to make)...correct?

NewGen33
01-21-2009, 02:20 AM
lol...ya here are a few that I have a pic of...
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/dtmcnamara/lights.jpg
Nice, at least you have a hobby you enjoy.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:21 AM
And the job you would find would be making more than your new salary (1/2 of what you use to make)...correct?

yes i would try to find a job with better pay, if i couldn't, i'd stay with the job making half, and get another part time job. If i got laid off, i'd go find a job wherever i could, regardless of pay. Waiting tables is pretty lucrative if you dont suck at life, and restaurants are always hiring.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Nice, at least you have a hobby you enjoy.

better then some I guess.

Last flashlight cost me $5 and its actually brighter than all the above...lol

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 02:23 AM
not all restaurants are hiring.. i've applied at every one in a 5 mile radius from my house.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 02:33 AM
maybe you should've graduated high school and considered college. I can find a job ina heart beat, in fact i just got another job today. My brother just found a job and he doesn't have a college degree.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:36 AM
maybe you should've graduated high school and considered college. I can find a job ina heart beat, in fact i just got another job today. My brother just found a job and he doesn't have a college degree.

Doing what?

Justin.
01-21-2009, 02:40 AM
A good job with a college degree...I mean a GOOD job w/ a business degree, most of them require a internship meaning you don't make shit, but get your foot in the door to actually make good money .

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 02:51 AM
i would take an internship, but every place around atlanta has all those positions filled and lines in front as well

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:07 AM

yeah, i never considered college, asshole.. fuck im saving money for A&P school right now but funds are depreciating now since i have no job.

parents cant afford me to go to college..

good for you, things just arent as easy for most. fucking dick.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 03:19 AM
go to the military. if all else fails, serve your country. there will always be opportunity and money there. there is no excuse to not be making some kind of money. everyone's eligible for infantry.

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:21 AM
I plan to enlist in the Navy soon.

need to get in shape.. cannot run the required time at the moment and need to lose another 20 lbs.

dont make fun of my weight, just lost 50 lbs in the last 6 months.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 03:24 AM
good for you. you can enlist with out meeting requirements. that's waht basic is for. if you don't do well in basic you will eventually. good luck.

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:26 AM
dont want to be in the fat boy group.. rather just wait and lose more weight myself.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 03:27 AM
go to the military. if all else fails, serve your country. there will always be opportunity and money there. there is no excuse to not be making some kind of money. everyone's eligible for infantry.

ya. let me fight in a war i dont even believe in...

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:29 AM
dont have to fight in a war. smart enough, do well on your asvab, pick a job unrelated to combat. and find a way to be deployed somewhere other than afghanistan/iraq.

Navy is the last to be deployed. When they are deployed, it is to set up camp for Marines/Army. other than that, it's decided by volunteers.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 03:29 AM
ya. let me fight in a war i dont even believe in...

you have a degree, you can be an officer, you won't be "fighting". if you're half intelligent you can go into something besides infantry. You're not fighting for a "war you don't believe in" you're fighting for your country and out of respect for the rest of the men and women fighting already. We're in this war whether we like it or not. If things are really SO tough that you have no other option, military is the way to go. i would do that before collecting un employment.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 03:32 AM
you have a degree, you can be an officer, you won't be "fighting". if you're half intelligent you can go into something besides infantry. You're not fighting for a "war you don't believe in" you're fighting for your country and out of respect for the rest of the men and women fighting already. We're in this war whether we like it or not. If things are really SO tough that you have no other option, military is the way to go. i would do that before collecting un employment.

ok...so let me get brainwashed by the US government...just what i want to do with my life

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:33 AM
becoming an officer is much harder than just enlisting with a degree.

My brother is an E6 YN2 Yeoman and was denied becoming an officer when he filled out the paperwork to apply for Officer.

And I completely agree with Willum. Being a part of the military doesnt mean you are gun-ho about the war, it can be looked at as a permanent paycheck for the rest of your life.

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 03:35 AM
everyone in know who is in the military has completely changed...they are emotionless, lifeless people...they are phased by nothing, and have lost many of their true friends because of this...

i respect anyone and everyone who fight for me and my country, but i would never put myself, my family, or my girlfriend though it...the US government changed you and not for the good

Humphrizzle
01-21-2009, 03:37 AM
your opinon.. just stating an option.

gluck. im asleep now.

willum14pb
01-21-2009, 03:59 AM
everyone in know who is in the military has completely changed...they are emotionless, lifeless people...they are phased by nothing, and have lost many of their true friends because of this...

i respect anyone and everyone who fight for me and my country, but i would never put myself, my family, or my girlfriend though it...the US government changed you and not for the good'

lol must've been infantry. Everyone i know is full of life and succeeding massively in life.

Dr.G35
01-21-2009, 07:11 AM
so... flashlights huh? i collect coins and oldschool paper money.

DeeAOne
01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
boy, this thread took a turn didnt it? lol

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
lol...ya. pics will be up later of the light. should be finished in a few weeks if I can get the voltage and amp situation worked out.
I need to sustain 36v and 10amps for as long as possible, i also need to make sure the amps do not EVER go above 11 as the bulb may blow. I will do a few test runs with the meter before actually hooking everything up. Dont want to blow the bulb, nor fry my switch or batteries.

On_Her_Face
01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Those flashlights look like weapons! lol.

cornercarver78
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
The government rapes you for 40% or more of YOU earn. If you can take a little back through unemployment, legally w/o cheating, then more power to you :goodjob:

dtmcnamara
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
this will be my next one, once I get back on my feet again...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Whooeydog/Ellie2006.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Whooeydog/Ellie2011-1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Whooeydog/Ellie2025.jpg