PDA

View Full Version : Competition clutch OEM pressure plate?

RX4BRDM
01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Just received my competition clutch ironman for an AP1 s2k and the pressure plate is the same as my OEM but in black?? Setup looks legit but does competition clutch use the OEM stuff and just harden it?? Thanks for any insight on this.

Init2winit
01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
How do you know its the same? Did you check the pressure of the pressure plate and compare them?

RX4BRDM
01-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I haven't checked anything that has to do with the pressure plate. I have both of them here infront of me and they have the exact markings both are stamped with "Honda" and have the same numbes stamped on them. I am assuming they just used the oem pp and hardened it as act exedy and other companies do.

Init2winit
01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I haven't checked anything that has to do with the pressure plate. I have both of them here infront of me and they have the exact markings both are stamped with "Honda" and have the same numbes stamped on them. I am assuming they just used the oem pp and hardened it as act exedy and other companies do.I can't say for sure because I haven't dealt with any of their foreign stuff, but typically they'll use the same hat and put a different diaphram in them. This may or may not be the case. I've seen the oem replacements or "stage 1" as some call them, have a little bit stiffer pressure plate, and an organic disc. If you have any specific questions, I would call them and find out exactly what it is.

Either way, most of the hats are the same, regardless of which clutch. They just have different diaphrams in them, which is where you get your clamping force.

RedEj8
01-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Yep. Many clutch manufacturers use the oem hat and just heat treat the diaphragm for more pressure. A good example would be any clutch for a 86-92 Supra. Well except custom multi-plate clutches.

Only way you will be able to tell is take the clutch to someone who can test it..which would usually be a clutch manufacturer.

RX4BRDM
01-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys.