PDA

View Full Version : Misc Playstation 3 sales in the shit

4dmin
01-19-2009, 03:20 PM
anyone see Feb game informer? they have an article on holiday sales and numbers are low... sony is said to be laying off 8,000 employees and some other stuff to save 1.1 billion this year. Nintendo is back on top again

Total U.S. hardware sales for 2008

Wii - 10,224,400
Nintendo DS - 9,951,500
Xbox 360 - 4,735,200
PlayStation Portable - 3,829,300
PlayStation 3 - 3,685,000
PlayStation 2 - 2,106,100*

The company will also eliminate a number of contract workers and temporary employees, which would total an additional 8,000 jobs, according to Reuters.

In addition to the job reductions, Sony plans to curtail or delay some of its investment plans. The company will also downsize or withdraw from unprofitable or noncore businesses. The cuts should account for a total annual cost savings of more than 100 billion yen ($1.08 billion) by the end of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2010.

VIP Style
01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
but look at all sonys combined sales, they probably are not hurting that bad, they still on top compared to the 360, if you think about it

AirMax95
01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm buying one next month. Add +1 to the numbers, lol.

alpine_aw11
01-19-2009, 04:12 PM
When the price goes down $100 PS3 sales are going to go through the roof.

4dmin
01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
but look at all sonys combined sales, they probably are not hurting that bad, they still on top compared to the 360, if you think about it

actually 360 is doing good right now sales in europe were up like 125% and their software sales are significantly higher ... i'll try to get a scan for the article

LIKEG6
01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
PS3 is still teh shiz. The price does hurt it tremendously though.

81911SC
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
but look at all sonys combined sales, they probably are not hurting that bad, they still on top compared to the 360, if you think about itUm, no. If it was they wouldn't be laying people off. This is about PS3 not Psp.

VIP Style
01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
x2 it is the shiz though
PS3 is still teh shiz. The price does hurt it tremendously though.

Julio
01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I want to buy a Wii .. Wii Golf rocks Venus y0!

Deke
01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd actually consider buying a PS3 if the price drops $100. I'm looking into blu-ray players right now, and that would actually put it on par with most of the decent ones out there.

JITB
01-19-2009, 06:04 PM
sony been hurting for awhile...nintendo strong!

Revmaynard
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Yep. I work at a Gamestop and I think I've maybe sold like 10 PS3's in a year. Lol. I sold two around the holidays. More people come in asking for a Wii than anything else. Nintendo is backed up on producing them. Also Wii Fit and Mario Kart aren't easy to be had either.

BB6dohcvtec
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
PS3 is still great. if you can afford it then I recommend it.

ISAtlanta300
01-20-2009, 01:03 PM
As long as the price remains high, people will divert to the Xbox. This is one of the curses of the PS3.

Not many parents are ready to give their kids a $ 400 - $ 500+ present.

Unfortunately, they made too good of a product, that they have to charge a premium for....

Prices may drop once blu-ray really takes off. There are already new TV's being built with built-in BluRay players, and i believe Samsung has a wall mountable blu-ray drive which can be mounted on the wall below a flat screen. So things are slowly moving in the right direction for Sony.

The PS3 was just a little bit ahead of its time, and Sony knows this. That's why it is still making PS2's.

4dmin
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
As long as the price remains high, people will divert to the Xbox. This is one of the curses of the PS3.

Not many parents are ready to give their kids a $ 400 - $ 500+ present.

Unfortunately, they made too good of a product, that they have to charge a premium for....

Prices may drop once blu-ray really takes off. There are already new TV's being built with built-in BluRay players, and i believe Samsung has a wall mountable blu-ray drive which can be mounted on the wall below a flat screen. So things are slowly moving in the right direction for Sony.

The PS3 was just a little bit ahead of its time, and Sony knows this. That's why it is still making PS2's.

honestly banking on blu-ray to carry a console is why sales are down... it is great system but blu-ray is big reason for the cost. ps2 is still going strong due to amount of games in the market and backward compatibility issues didn't help sony. they need to get on the stick and start producing some software and exclusives; i just posted up yesterday about Fallout3 DL content for xbox/pc only. i remember when it launched w/ no games and sony was like we have tons in the works... 2+ years later :lmfao:.

i think they have a great product but by the time the market is ready for ps3 we will be on verge of next gen consoles and it will be out dated.

Revmaynard
01-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Yep, we have two-three times the selection for PS2 and 360. The PS3 has maybe three good solid titles that are exclusive. I'd have to say, GT5, Socom, and Metal Gear. But eh, $400-$500 for a system that isn't even partially backwards compatible is crazy! Hell, even if the 360 fails (which it will) they at least cover it for 3 years. lol

ISAtlanta300
01-20-2009, 02:41 PM
honestly banking on blu-ray to carry a console is why sales are down... it is great system but blu-ray is big reason for the cost. ps2 is still going strong due to amount of games in the market and backward compatibility issues didn't help sony. they need to get on the stick and start producing some software and exclusives; i just posted up yesterday about Fallout3 DL content for xbox/pc only. i remember when it launched w/ no games and sony was like we have tons in the works... 2+ years later :lmfao:.

i think they have a great product but by the time the market is ready for ps3 we will be on verge of next gen consoles and it will be out dated.

True, the blu-ray battle is what basically slowed Sony and the PS3 down. But they did win that war. So NOW their focus will be on the gaming market.

However, you also have to admit that right now is not a good time for the PS3, especially with retail sales and the economy being as it is. Very few people splurge and buy the latest gear at the moment. Even XBOX had to introduce a bargain cost Xbox ($199) to stimulate sales.

They also released some good exclusives like Resistance and Resistance 2. Was it enough to sway people? No. Hardcore fanboys will still resist to switch over. Halo fanboys won't care about Resistance and Resistance fanboys won't care about Halo.

The video games market is a hard market to win over customers. If I owned an XBOX I would be hard pressed to switch to a PS3, because then what would I do with all the games i owned on XBOX? I would buy the next XBOX etc etc. The XBOX has, and will for some time, have the advantage of early release, meaning more consoles in homes.

Sony was banking a bit too much on the Blu-ray player being a major factor in a gaming console. This was one of their oversights.

I don't think the PS3 will be outdated by the time the market is ready. It all depends on the success of Blu. If it replaces DVD, the PS3 has a major advantage, not only in movies but in games. If Blu fails, the PS3 will still have enough processing capabilities and HD storage for downloadable games and moves in HiDef. If anything they would probably evolve with the market.

4dmin
01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
True, the blu-ray battle is what basically slowed Sony and the PS3 down. But they did win that war. So NOW their focus will be on the gaming market.

However, you also have to admit that right now is not a good time for the PS3, especially with retail sales and the economy being as it is. Very few people splurge and buy the latest gear at the moment. Even XBOX had to introduce a bargain cost Xbox ($199) to stimulate sales.

They also released some good exclusives like Resistance and Resistance 2. Was it enough to sway people? No. Hardcore fanboys will still resist to switch over. Halo fanboys won't care about Resistance and Resistance fanboys won't care about Halo.

The video games market is a hard market to win over customers. If I owned an XBOX I would be hard pressed to switch to a PS3, because then what would I do with all the games i owned on XBOX? I would buy the next XBOX etc etc. The XBOX has, and will for some time, have the advantage of early release, meaning more consoles in homes.

Sony was banking a bit too much on the Blu-ray player being a major factor in a gaming console. This was one of their oversights.

I don't think the PS3 will be outdated by the time the market is ready. It all depends on the success of Blu. If it replaces DVD, the PS3 has a major advantage, not only in movies but in games. If Blu fails, the PS3 will still have enough processing capabilities and HD storage for downloadable games and moves in HiDef. If anything they would probably evolve with the market.

I don't think it is any better time to buy PS3 over Xbox b/c the core of gaming console sales is for gaming not home entertainment. Gates is no dummy once the decline of HDDVD media was on verge they already were in talks to push the evenlope one step further and move Netflix HD streams. That is good thinking. Price drops on Xbox allowed them to develop their market - 08' xmas sales in europe were up 125%. Microsoft has made it pretty easy for 3rd party developers and games sales are better on xbox thats why we currrently have more exclusives (including DL content).

Honestly it is going to be a long time before Blu-ray takes over DVD. The market just isn't there to support such a change over. Once we see cost drop on BR and movie go BR exclusive then DVD is done. We are far off from that happening. I have both at home and I buy every new hot movie that comes out w/ a collection of over 1500 dvds even I won't convert my collection unless I absolutely have too. As data transfers keep rising and cost of storage is low the futre of disc media may be on the way out.

4dmin
01-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Yep, we have two-three times the selection for PS2 and 360. The PS3 has maybe three good solid titles that are exclusive. I'd have to say, GT5, Socom, and Metal Gear. But eh, $400-$500 for a system that isn't even partially backwards compatible is crazy! Hell, even if the 360 fails (which it will) they at least cover it for 3 years. lol

i've had mine since launch and never had 1 issue ;)

Benefit
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
ps3>360

JR VQ 30 de
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
i though the price of the ps3 was going to be dropped to $299

JITB
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
i though the price of the ps3 was going to be dropped to $299

they said that back in august...lol Sony never does what is says.. im tellin you all! people are soo hard on Microsoft all the time, so they go the extra mile to loose the bad thoughts people have of them.

JR VQ 30 de
01-21-2009, 05:51 AM
they said that back in august...lol Sony never does what is says.. im tellin you all! people are soo hard on Microsoft all the time, so they go the extra mile to loose the bad thoughts people have of them.

i mean like both of the systems ( even though i dont own a 360) since i was 12 i have been a sony fan starting with the ps1 i guess thats why im just attached more to the ps3 than the 360

4dmin
01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
i mean like both of the systems ( even though i dont own a 360) since i was 12 i have been a sony fan starting with the ps1 i guess thats why im just attached more to the ps3 than the 360

i have owned every game system made at one point or another except PS3/Wii... Wii doesn't interest me, PS3 launched late and just didn't offer anything to me i can't get on xbox plus its more $$$.

Mr. Clean
01-21-2009, 08:05 AM
they need to start charging for online gameplay. shit is killing them in complaints. for people that primarily want to play online, they are leaning toward xbox because of its reliability. if playstation would just do the same shit where you pay $30-50 for a year membership they would

a) get quite a bit of revenue from it ($40x 500,000 gamers = about 20 mil. extra per year)
b) reliability would draw some onliners back to ps

idk. that's my opinion. and most people would be more than happy to dish out the extra $5/month.

Ran
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
You gotta pay to play. It's just that a lot of people are too cheap to pay for a PS3 even if it is a superior product.

$400-$500 for a system that isn't even partially backwards compatible is crazy!Actually, you're mistaken here. The PS Store now has a free firmware download that makes all PS3's backwards compatible. :goodjob:

4dmin
01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
You gotta pay to play. It's just that a lot of people are too cheap to pay for a PS3 even if it is a superior product.

Actually, you're mistaken here. The PS Store now has a free firmware download that makes all PS3's backwards compatible. :goodjob:

superior? is obviously a matter of opinion... seems more hardcore gamers/developers xbox obviously is the choice and wii owns the family/kiddie market. PS2 is the biggest reason for little bit of Sony's PS3 support. If it wasn't for that their share in the domestic market would be very small.

alpine_aw11
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
superior? is obviously a matter of opinion... seems more hardcore gamers/developers xbox obviously is the choice and wii owns the family/kiddie market. PS2 is the biggest reason for little bit of Sony's PS3 support. If it wasn't for that their share in the domestic market would be very small.

It is all a matter of opinion. To me ps3 is superior because the main games I want are exclusives. The 360 vs. ps3 argument has gotten pretty ridiculous.

4dmin
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
It is all a matter of opinion. To me ps3 is superior because the main games I want are exclusives. The 360 vs. ps3 argument has gotten pretty ridiculous.tru dat

ISAtlanta300
01-21-2009, 01:09 PM

I think Ran means the Hardware itself is superior and he has a point. The Blu-ray is an added value for those seeking a console that handles all of their media entertainment (from playing dvd's, streaming music, surfing the web, watching blu-ray, downloading movies and playing games).

For strict Gamers, the xbox is more suitable. the PS3 caters a bit towards the higher end, with the thinking that people that have money for the PS3 probably have a killer home theater and a hi-def tv, on which they can enjoy hi-def full 1080P movies with Blu-ray.

But the market has stalled and luxury items including electronics are at a stop, due to the economy. I mean look at Circuit City, Hi-Fi Buys/ Tweeter.. all went out of business...

Hence the timing is not in favor of the PS3 at the moment.

Vteckidd
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Sony is going to cut the PS3 cost by summer down $100, its been wildly circulated that they are going to take the hit on the price to sell more volume, something Xbox is crushing them in right now.

PS3 is long from being outdated, what they have to worry about is what Microsoft has up its sleeve, but seeing as 360 is still dominating, i doubt they see a reason to come out with the next gen anytime soon

ISAtlanta300
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Honestly it is going to be a long time before Blu-ray takes over DVD. The market just isn't there to support such a change over. Once we see cost drop on BR and movie go BR exclusive then DVD is done. We are far off from that happening. I have both at home and I buy every new hot movie that comes out w/ a collection of over 1500 dvds even I won't convert my collection unless I absolutely have too. As data transfers keep rising and cost of storage is low the futre of disc media may be on the way out.

I collected DVD's too and am slowly switching to Blu. The changeover is slow due to the higher price of blu-ray. But all the new, hot movies I buy on blu-ray. I am also changing some that I like from DVD to Blu. It is a pain, but i had to do it already to VHS when I was collecting tapes.

I don't see the future of disc media as being out yet. CD's are still being produced, even with IPOD/ ITunes. It does not matter. The market is still there. And movie downloading servers have been out for a while. So has sites like limewire etc. Yet DVD's are still selling.

4dmin
01-22-2009, 07:22 AM
I collected DVD's too and am slowly switching to Blu. The changeover is slow due to the higher price of blu-ray. But all the new, hot movies I buy on blu-ray. I am also changing some that I like from DVD to Blu. It is a pain, but i had to do it already to VHS when I was collecting tapes.

I don't see the future of disc media as being out yet. CD's are still being produced, even with IPOD/ ITunes. It does not matter. The market is still there. And movie downloading servers have been out for a while. So has sites like limewire etc. Yet DVD's are still selling.

Well I kinda look at it in a cycle... dvds hit the market hard in the late 90's almost 10 years later blu-ray, this year HD streaming, etc, etc. Honestly I would not be surprised to see disc media decline drasticly in the next decade and US start to push the evenlope with steaming media more. At our current rate our infrastructure will be there and the cost is significantly cheaper. It all comes down to marketing and cost.

eViLMunkey
01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Sony's sales might be in the crapperbut I don't hear of them ditching 5,000 people out of their corp.

fivex684
01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Grow up guy's.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/fivex84/Random/PCMasterRace.jpg

j/k

I prefer the PS3 just because it does more as media player and is easier to use. I play 99% of my games on the PC.

4dmin
01-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Sony's sales might be in the crapperbut I don't hear of them ditching 5,000 people out of their corp.

its 8,000 they are cutting check out new game informer and i think i posted it earlier in thread.

Spectic Tank
01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
its 8,000 they are cutting check out new game informer and i think i posted it earlier in thread.

Most of those are contract/temp. workers. Is that the same for Microsoft?

ISAtlanta300
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Well I kinda look at it in a cycle... dvds hit the market hard in the late 90's almost 10 years later blu-ray, this year HD streaming, etc, etc. Honestly I would not be surprised to see disc media decline drasticly in the next decade and US start to push the evenlope with steaming media more. At our current rate our infrastructure will be there and the cost is significantly cheaper. It all comes down to marketing and cost.

That is highly debatable. Not even the best downloading media streaming company (Netflix, vudu) can compare quality-wise to blu-ray. There is no lossless hi-def audio (7.1, Master Audio etc) possible at the moment via movie downloads, at the most you will get Dolby Digital. Not to mention artifacting and noise etc etc.

Now would that matter to the average movie watcher? Probably not. But those that invested money in top gear would still prefer the best delivery for their movies.

The way I see it, there will be two camps in the future: Those that will continue to download their movies, and won't put much importance on how it is delivered and in what quality. These are today's Ipod Junkies, Limewire listeners etc.

And then there will be those that will still buy disc media because it has the best delivery method and highest quality. These are today's record collectors, SACD, DVD-Audio and 128+ Bit Audio listeners etc.

Remember, we are assuming that the infrastructure will evolve to support higher download and transfer rates. However, on this same token, we must also assume that HD will also continue to evolve, from 1080P to 2160 P to maybe even 4320P etc. and that the Blu ray disc media itself may evolve into quad-layer blu ray discs, and even the rumored 'holographic disc media'.... making it still the 'easiest' delivery method for home theaters......

Deke
01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
^ I wasn't going to go into quite such a technical argument, but I agree that I don't see streaming media taking over in the near future. Maybe it' just me, but there is something about actually owning a copy of a movie (whether it by tangible or digital) that just feels better. Just the knowledge that no matter what happens, I can watch this movie whenever I want. Granted, I think streaming movies might eventually take over the rental business. But I think there will still be a market for actually purchasing a copy of the movie.

Ran
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
superior? is obviously a matter of opinion...
As already stated, I was referring to the system hardware itself. More developers are going to have to keep pushing the PS3's potential before it really starts to catch on with the budget-conscious gamers. So far, only like 4.5/7 of the PS3's cores have been tapped and that was by Resistence 2. MGS4 only used 4.

Revmaynard
01-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Actually, you're mistaken here. The PS Store now has a free firmware download that makes all PS3's backwards compatible. :goodjob:

I couldn't find anything online about that. But I don't doubt it's true. I sell more xbox original games over PS3. LOL

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I couldn't find anything online about that. But I don't doubt it's true. I sell more xbox original games over PS3. LOL

Well its on the PSN Store. . so you didn't look hard enough :slap:

Revmaynard
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Because I don't own a PS3.....and I searched ''firmware update backwards compatibility'' on Google.

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM
09 is gonna be a great year for the Ps3,
street fighter iv,
resident evil 5,
Gran Turismo 5
And all the FFXIII series coming out on the last month of 09

:boobies:

Revmaynard
01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
The problem is, as awesome as it's going to be for PS3, it's going to be better for the 360, I believe. They get SF4 and RE5, now anyone who plays FF is going to be loyal to Sony.

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 01:36 PM
oh well I know mine is Backwards compatible and I didn't have to Download any add-on content. .

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 01:37 PM
The problem is, as awesome as it's going to be for PS3, it's going to be better for the 360, I believe. They get SF4 and RE5, now anyone who plays FF is going to be loyal to Sony.

I say Sony all the way; just my opinion. But outta all the people I know that has a Xbox 360; they've seen *the ring*. haha People say SF4 ain't gonna be right unless it's on the Sony platform because of the controllers. But other then that, it's sadd to see all those xbox games stacked up and the RING is on. :thinking:

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
oh well I know mine is Backwards compatible and I didn't have to Download any add-on content. .

Where can you find the add on on the ps store? I'm looking for it right now?

Revmaynard
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyone that plays SF seriously is going to probably be using a fight stick. I've got one already. lol My friend plays Marvel V Capcom competitively (I think he's in a tourney today) and says anyone true to the games won't use a classic controller. He made a custom fight stick for his Dreamcast so he can still play at home. lol The Ps2 was my favorite system from it's time, but the 360 took my vote this time around. lol

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Go to PS Store.

Click on Add-ons

Click on Disc Based Game Add-ons

and it will be selection 34/55

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Anyone that plays SF seriously is going to probably be using a fight stick. I've got one already. lol My friend plays Marvel V Capcom competitively (I think he's in a tourney today) and says anyone true to the games won't use a classic controller. He made a custom fight stick for his Dreamcast so he can still play at home. lol The Ps2 was my favorite system from it's time, but the 360 took my vote this time around. lol

I think I'mma stick to my Dualshock3 controller. I suck at those arcade sticks.

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
they make a SF fight stick for the PS3,
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=802973

also they have one for the 360:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=802972

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Go to PS Store.

Click on Add-ons

Click on Disc Based Game Add-ons

and it will be selection 34/55

NICE!!! Sony got smarter ehh? haha Now I have all the backwards I need! Thanks Bro!

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 01:47 PM
No Prob. I just got a 60GB PS3 right before they made the 80GB (and glad I did!)

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
No Prob. I just got a 60GB PS3 right before they made the 80GB (and glad I did!)

Can't seem to install it on the harddrive. It's under game utility but i can't click on it. :???:

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
hmmm I say delete, reset you PS3, the re-download and try to install

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
hmmm I say delete, reset you PS3, the re-download and try to install

I checked the help site and it shows which systems are compatible. Mines is a K01, so it's not on there. Unless this add-on goes beyond that limitation.

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
hmm.. not sure on that

Paree4g63
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
hmm.. not sure on that

Don't think it's gonna work on my system. I could format the HDD and use some memory for a new OS but I don't wanna erase my whole HD and start over. I still got my ps2 so it's all good. :goodjob:

eViLMunkey
01-24-2009, 02:28 PM
cool, yeah I still have a couple PS2's laying around and pieces of my old burned out 360 (took a shotgun to it after it crapped out (2nd 360 to do it too))

nreggie454
01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't believe a thing about the GT5 release date until I see it on store shelves. One of the biggest disappointments for PS3 IMO.

I also can't wait for Forza 3 to blow it out of the water.

pbstarr1
01-24-2009, 05:53 PM

Man I agree!!! It is so many people who down what they can't afford, it's crazy:screwy: . I'm not saying everyone but you get what you pay for. My 60g which is rare plays ps1,2, and 3 games, and I have never had a problem with mine. Come on people stop being cheap, if you can spend 2-300 on a xbox you can save a extra 100 or 2.:yes:

81911SC
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Man I agree!!! It is so many people who down what they can't afford, it's crazy:screwy: . I'm not saying everyone but you get what you pay for. My 60g which is rare plays ps1,2, and 3 games, and I have never had a problem with mine. Come on people stop being cheap, if you can spend 2-300 on a xbox you can save a extra 100 or 2.:yes:Yea, tell that to millions of American families. :rolleyes:

VIP Style
01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
i have both 360 and ps3, and quite honestly, i felt like i received more for my buck with the playstation 3. i love how convenient the wifi is, just one click and im online. and of course the blue ray. the ps3 just seems better overall to me.

pbstarr1
01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Yea, tell that to millions of American families. :rolleyes:

You are right but if you could afford to spend the money for a xbox reality is you can afford a ps3 with a little more saved. People are just too lazy to save.