PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 4 point ebay seat belt

99HORSEPOWER
01-19-2009, 07:35 AM
has anybody on here bought 4 point seatbelts off of ebay?
they are $68.00 shipped

if so please tell me if they're worth buying

speedminded
01-19-2009, 07:48 AM
has anybody on here bought 4 point seatbelts off of ebay?
they are $68.00 shipped

if so please tell me if they're worth buyingWhy would you need it? Have a roll cage? Have a harness bar?

Even if you do have all that the answer is still no. Get a Schroth harness, as far as I know they are the only DOT approved manufacturer.

99HORSEPOWER
01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Why would you need it? Have a roll cage? Have a harness bar?

Even if you do have all that the answer is still no. Get a Schroth harness, as far as I know they are the only DOT approved manufacturer.

i was just wondering because they're cheap and i was planning on replacing my stock ones

Elbow
01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Do you like your life?

99HORSEPOWER
01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Do you like your life?

i know what you mean by that
and its a no to those seatbelts

Halfwit
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
they are cheap for a reason. jsut remember that. if they could provide you with the same safety as the more expensive ones, you would see pro racers with them in their cars.

if you jsut want to buy something, and you want some harnesses, and you arent racing, sure, they will be as good (if installed correctly) as manufacturers.

Elbow
01-19-2009, 01:01 PM
They aren't safe on the street or the track. They are made very cheep. Only thing they are good for is autocross as being held in is important, and the likely hood of hitting or rolling is 1 in a million.

You can find nice harnesses used for $100 all day long, REAL harnesses. For racers they have an expiration date for competition, that doesn't mean they are not safe or worn out. They are great for people like you, track day drivers, etc to buy.

99HORSEPOWER
01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
They aren't safe on the street or the track. They are made very cheep. Only thing they are good for is autocross as being held in is important, and the likely hood of hitting or rolling is 1 in a million.

You can find nice harnesses used for $100 all day long, REAL harnesses. For racers they have an expiration date for competition, that doesn't mean they are not safe or worn out. They are great for people like you, track day drivers, etc to buy.

at first i was trying to see if there were some Takata ones for sale that were cheap but then i saw the cheap ones and i was wondering why they were that cheap
good thing i didn't buy them

speedminded
01-19-2009, 04:36 PM
at first i was trying to see if there were some Takata ones for sale that were cheap but then i saw the cheap ones and i was wondering why they were that cheap
good thing i didn't buy themANY harness in a car without a roll bar or roll cage is dumb. Period.

You roll over or get t-boned hard you are roadkill. Ordinary seat belts allow a certain amount of freedom so you aren't 100% stationary in the event of an accident, a harness doesn't allow that movement and you are a sitting duck waiting to get squished.

99HORSEPOWER
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
ANY harness in a car without a roll bar or roll cage is dumb. Period.

You roll over or get t-boned hard you are roadkill. Ordinary seat belts allow a certain amount of freedom so you aren't 100% stationary in the event of an accident, a harness doesn't allow that movement and you are a sitting duck waiting to get squished.

thanks for the info man
i look to see if i can find some stock replacement ones

speedminded
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
thanks for the info man
i look to see if i can find some stock replacement onesWhy do you need new seat belts? If there is a issue with the original seat belts then dealer's are required to replace them FREE of charge, no questions asked and no matter the age of the car.

99HORSEPOWER
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Why do you need new seat belts? If there is a issue with the original seat belts then dealer's are required to replace them FREE of charge, no questions asked and no matter the age of the car.

its not that i HAVE to change them or anytihng but im trying to "rebuild" my car on the inside if you know what i mean
what they replace them for FREE?
I have never heard of that

ranger250x
01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
speedminded please do elaborate on the free factory seatbelt replacement. does that cover just the belt or the retactable part as well. sorry for the thread jack.

as for harnesses on the street.... not a good idea without the proper mounting locations and/or proper install. if its just for looks go for it just dont drive relying on the harness to save your life.

On_Her_Face
01-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Are they made of yarn? If so I'd say go for it.

speedminded
01-20-2009, 02:32 AM
speedminded please do elaborate on the free factory seatbelt replacement. does that cover just the belt or the retactable part as well. sorry for the thread jack.

as for harnesses on the street.... not a good idea without the proper mounting locations and/or proper install. if its just for looks go for it just dont drive relying on the harness to save your life.http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

03RCode
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Are they made of yarn? If so I'd say go for it.

Actually there made of twine.

This is my theory on harnesses... if you need them, would you really trust your life to something you picked up for $68 on ebay?

EP3sAreFun
01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Why do you need new seat belts? If there is a issue with the original seat belts then dealer's are required to replace them FREE of charge, no questions asked and no matter the age of the car.
i searched the site and don't see anything. I would really to see this info if you can find it.

Cause i dont believe it and no one in my dealership has heard of mandatory seatbelt replacement.

B_Hoov
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
please dont entrust ebay materials, espically ones your life can depend on, i have a 5 point RCI harness i will sell you for 20$ picked up.

01CDMLUDER
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't trust my life with something cheap off ebay but thats just me

J13eck
01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
dont get them. they're annoying and i hated them.

mp5o
01-28-2009, 02:36 AM
ANY harness in a car without a roll bar or roll cage is dumb. Period.

Actually, most modern seat belts are designed to keep you pinned to your seat. They even come with belt tensioner's that will take up slack(usually about 6") and lock within a fraction of a second upon impact.

Modern cars rely on crush zones(in conjunction with steel framework) to absorb the majority of the shock caused by an accident. The seat belt is designed to keep you stationary and the air bags are designed to fill the space between the dash or steering wheel and the passenger(s).

mp5o
01-28-2009, 02:44 AM

IIRC Most harnesses can be sent back to the original manufacture for re-certification if they are out of date and remain in good condition.

speedminded
01-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Actually, most modern seat belts are designed to keep you pinned to your seat. They even come with belt tensioner's that will take up slack(usually about 6") and lock within a fraction of a second upon impact.

Modern cars rely on crush zones(in conjunction with steel framework) to absorb the majority of the shock caused by an accident. The seat belt is designed to keep you stationary and the air bags are designed to fill the space between the dash or steering wheel and the passenger(s).Inertia wheels lock the belt then in some newer cars & older high end ones are equipped with pretensioners that physically pull the belt tight by using the same sensors as airbags.

...BUT you're still not completely 100% stationary with an ordinary safety belt like you would be in a harness. You rollover or get hit in the side with a roll cage using a regular 3-point safety belt you will most likely hit the roll cage unless the seat wraps around your head. Look at the majority of the roll over crash test video's, majority of the dummy's hit the roof/pillar with a 3-point safety belt.

Got Milk?
01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
wtf, this thread fails.