PDA

View Full Version : swaping dash question

laokid
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM
so the vin number is differnt on the dash board durh,where can i go to get the right vin badge number replaced on the new dash? price?and what kinda trouble can i get in if i don't?//old dash board gone...thanks IA

seanrg1116
01-19-2009, 10:59 AM
thats a damn good question. I have no idea but i am going to wait for a response also

Homer Simpson
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
what car do you have?

When I swapped my 98 civic's dash, I unscrewed the whole plastic piece that the vin is bolted to and put it on the dash I was gonna put into my car.

Taking the dash out is a pain btw.

Catnip
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I bought a car with an interior swap and I actually had to make the VIN on the dash "disappear" if you know what I mean. Then I had to have 3 forms filled out by a detective (they ran all the VINs on the car to make sure it's not stolen). After the forms were filled out, I had to send them, my title, and $18 to the salvage place in Atlanta... they gave me a replacement VIN plate. After I affixed the VIN to the car, I had to have it inspected AGAIN and sent off another form. Now I'm waiting on my title...

B18c1Turboed
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I bought a car with an interior swap and I actually had to make the VIN on the dash "disappear" if you know what I mean. Then I had to have 3 forms filled out by a detective (they ran all the VINs on the car to make sure it's not stolen). After the forms were filled out, I had to send them, my title, and $18 to the salvage place in Atlanta... they gave me a replacement VIN plate. After I affixed the VIN to the car, I had to have it inspected AGAIN and sent off another form. Now I'm waiting on my title...

So basically you bought stolen parts? and you made them disappear? SOundys kinda fishy too me.

Not Something i would admit online, on a car you plan too keep:2cents:

laokid
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
inspected hummhhmm that sounds like a long process..where/who do u get it inspected by?

yunglaosta
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
just swap da vins out i hadda do dat when i changed my dash (DASH WAS NOT STOLEN) use pliers or something to get it out

laokid
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
i don't have the dash

wrekonize
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
ALL YOU NEED IS A SMALL TORCH LIKE THE ONES THEY SELL AT WALMART
1.FIRST HAVE THE DASH OUT......
2. SLIDE A KNIFE UNDER THE VIN PLATE
3. NOW HERE COMES THE TORCH USE A OLD SCREW DRIVER PREFERABLY A PHILLIPS NOW HEAT THE TIP OF THE SCREW DRIVER WITH THE TORCH TILL ITS STARTING TO GET RED..
4. AS SOON AS ITS RED TOUCH THE TOP OF THE STUD WITH THE SCREWDRIVER THAT HOLDS THE VIN IN PLACE AND IT SHOULD WARM IT UP AND NOW USE THE KNIFE TO PULL UP ON THE PLATE AND IT WILL SLIDE RIGHT OUT
5. REPEAT ONE MORE TIME ON THE OTHER SIDE....AND YOUR DONE...

THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS IT WONT MESS ANY THING UP....AND WHEN YOU INSTALL IT ON THE OTHER DASH JUST PUSH IT IN WITH YOUR THUMB AND IT POP RIGHT IN AND WONT FALL OUT

yunglaosta
01-19-2009, 06:42 PM
ALL YOU NEED IS A SMALL TORCH LIKE THE ONES THEY SELL AT WALMART
1.FIRST HAVE THE DASH OUT......
2. SLIDE A KNIFE UNDER THE VIN PLATE
3. NOW HERE COMES THE TORCH USE A OLD SCREW DRIVER PREFERABLY A PHILLIPS NOW HEAT THE TIP OF THE SCREW DRIVER WITH THE TORCH TILL ITS STARTING TO GET RED..
4. AS SOON AS ITS RED TOUCH THE TOP OF THE STUD WITH THE SCREWDRIVER THAT HOLDS THE VIN IN PLACE AND IT SHOULD WARM IT UP AND NOW USE THE KNIFE TO PULL UP ON THE PLATE AND IT WILL SLIDE RIGHT OUT
5. REPEAT ONE MORE TIME ON THE OTHER SIDE....AND YOUR DONE...

THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS IT WONT MESS ANY THING UP....AND WHEN YOU INSTALL IT ON THE OTHER DASH JUST PUSH IT IN WITH YOUR THUMB AND IT POP RIGHT IN AND WONT FALL OUT

or u could just use a ribbit gun. it'll save ya lots of time :cheers:

laokid
01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
yall hear/see dat ! my dumbass uncle broke the vin plate using a screw driver of some sort ,but that doesnt close my case yet

d16_turbo
01-20-2009, 12:27 AM
all you have to do is drill out the rivets, swap the vin plates and rivet yours back on the new dash.

Catnip
01-20-2009, 01:00 AM
So basically you bought stolen parts? and you made them disappear? SOundys kinda fishy too me.

Not Something i would admit online, on a car you plan too keep:2cents:

All vins were ran, no parts were stolen. Hence the inspections... :goodjob:

PS, it's illegal to tamper with the VIN plates, even putting the correct one on. Only vehicle manufacturers can do so.

NeWTRouBLeArMy
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
easy fix for that problem is just put the dash in dont get pulled over and it wont be any problem and if you do and they actuly check the vin just tell them that you bought it like that and you only looked at the vin on the firewall thats what i did and never had any problems

J-ROCK
01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
i say just do it the way evan said so there are no problems wut so ever!

Catnip
01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
easy fix for that problem is just put the dash in dont get pulled over and it wont be any problem and if you do and they actuly check the vin just tell them that you bought it like that and you only looked at the vin on the firewall thats what i did and never had any problems

Actually you're wrong, dumbass.

I love how people won't listen. I JUST got the title back from this exact situation. It took about a month to clear up.

DecoyOctopus
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
or u could just use a ribbit gun. it'll save ya lots of time :cheers:rivet gun

NeWTRouBLeArMy
01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Actually you're wrong, dumbass.

I love how people won't listen. I JUST got the title back from this exact situation. It took about a month to clear up.

theres no reason to call people names im just letting him know what me and a buddy of mine did just cause you like to spend the money to do things the legal way others might not have the money our way worked just as well as yours does and took alot less time and money

laokid
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
okay ..thanks guys

Catnip
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
theres no reason to call people names im just letting him know what me and a buddy of mine did just cause you like to spend the money to do things the legal way others might not have the money our way worked just as well as yours does and took alot less time and money

It was $20 :thinking:

laokid
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
oh thats it, hmm