PDA

View Full Version : General Chat wiring a kill switch?

Thighs
01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
well as of day before yestreday, my cars tail lights wont turn off. instead of pulling the dash and wiring harness which is a 1-2 day job depending on how far in i have to go, ive decided to put a killswitch on the car to keep it from draining the battery.

does anyone know of any good writeups on how to wire one in? i want to make the switch as clean and small as possible so it doesnt look like shit, and i want to run a separate power wire to the ECU so it doesnt have to re-learn every time i start the car, which can take several days with power connected until it idles right.

okra1981
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
You could hook up the taillights to a switch, which isn't cool with insurance companies if you ever get rear-ended, or you can use a relay that cuts the power off close to the battery. The relay idea is pretty simple, the switch would just send power to the relay to switch the polarity so that the circuit would no longer be complete between the battery and the rest of the car. I just don't really know where I would go to find a diagram for such a setup, but I can think through how I would do it in my head.

Motivation
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Go to parts store and buy a kill switch, they have a diagram on the back of the packaging.

Master Shake
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
possibly run it thru the fuse panel.
never tried it though, just a thought

Thighs
01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
im kinda a n00b to wiring which is bad considering i own an old bmw lol. i think im just gonna wire all the lights on the car to switches and mount them on a blockoff plate where my non-working OBC is at the moment.

Elbow
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
I had everything in my 240 wired to a switch, but no kill switch or anything.